Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Catch
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Who were/are your heroes?

With all this talk about heroes and such, I'm curious who you all looked up to as kids and now as adults? The people you wished you could be and admired for the great things they did. The "loose" definition of a hero. I think it would be interesting to see how your views change as you get older.

Mine as a kid...Ozzie Smith, Tony Pena, and nearly anyone in a uniform (soldiers, FFs, LEO's)

Today...my grandpa

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

My dad...simply said.

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."
    Youngstown Fire Department

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

As a kid my heroes were my Dad, my Grandpops, and the Firemen my Dad serves along with at the OFD.
    Now my heroes are my Dad, my Grandpops, and the Firemen that my Dad, myself, and now my brother serve along with at the OFD.

------------------
    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

[This message has been edited by ENGINE18-3 (edited 02-28-2001).]

Engine69
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

For me when I was growing up, my heroes were the Astronauts. I was constantly keeping track of the space program. Now that I am all grown up (HA!) I don't really know if I have anyone I can call a "hero." I suppose when you get to a point where your "are" what you pretty much are going to "be", you don't seek out a role model as much as you did as a child. I do look up to persons of higher rank than me in my career job in law enforcement... but I don't think "Hero" fits the bill there...

irons-n-hook
    Firehouse.com Guest

My grandfathers, my dad, and my brothers.

comwhite
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't necessarily know that she was my hero, but the person that comes to mind is my 3rd grade teacher. She instilled in me the belief that I could be anyone I wanted to be with hard work and perseverence. She showed me that I had qualities and talents that shouldn't be wasted. She gave me the courage to be who I wanted to be, and is a lot of the reason I am who I am today. Is that a hero?

johnusn971
    Firehouse.com Guest

Growing up, and now today, I look up to.....
    (dramatic pause)

....anyone taller than me.

Doc DC3

smokeater-n-hellraiser
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

General George S. Patton, General/President George Washington, any Allied Vet from WWII, and, of course, all those men and women who put on either bunkers, a badge, or grab a Medic bag. Thank you all.

------------------
    "I hate it when someone says something is impossible, because then I have to go and find a way to do it."
    Whatever it is, I didn't do it, and I don't know anything about a fire. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    Stay safe, boys and girls. It's for keeps out there.

firefighteranne
    Firehouse.com Guest

Helen Keller.

With all adversities and handicaps she had, she never let them stand in her way or hold her back. If she can accomplish what she did with her handicaps, there is no limit to what I can do. She also never pitied herself, and I need to remind myself of her when I'm feeling sorry for myself.

troll911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Growing up, as others have expressed, my hero was my dad, along with the other FFs. I was always one of the "Luckiest guys in the world" getting to go spend the night at the station.
    Nowadays, the list has grown to include anyone who has served our country honorably in uniform; FF/EMS everywhere, both volunteers and professionals; (watch out for a big bolt of lightning!!) the police service.
    But mostly, that patient, young or old, that continues to fight against insurmountable odds for survival.

------------------
    Peace,
    TROLL

Just my opinions, not my departments. If they are alike, it usually means somethin's gonna happen!

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is simple! The members of my family because without them, I would be nothing. My parent's brought me into this world and took the responsibility of raising me. My brother (a fellow FF/Medic) has been with me to understand all the ups and downs that come with life in emergency services, and last but certainly not least, my wife because she has the hardest job of them all -- putting up with a FF husband!

Stay safe!

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

without a question most definitely my father.

LtStevieB82
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, I'd have to say that my Dad was always my primary role model, but I didn't usually see him as an heroic, mythic being. usually.

My heroes were astronauts, Springsteen and anyone who played for the NY Yankees.

RJE
    Firehouse.com Guest

'til age 8, my little leage baseball coach, who was a KCMO Police officer.

After we moved, my dad's chief, and George Brett.

Once I got to high school, my chemistry teacher, who finally got me interested in school.

After I left home, Ronald Reagan and Gen. Norman Schwartkopf (both of whom I met in the early '90s).

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My Dad is my hero. Not only for being my father, but for putting in 34 years(soon to be 35 on 4-12-2001) with the City of Bayonne Fire Department. Still going strong on Truck Company 3. He is #1 in my book.

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@fitzhenry.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

HOTDOG
    Firehouse.com Guest

Until I was old enough to mature and the light came on, it was anyone who was the best at whatever I was interested in at the time.

Now that I have matured, By far my DAD is my hero, inspiration, and mentor. His adversity, dedication, and leadership instilled qualities I did not know I had until now. Funny how you realize it when your kids come along.

First on scene, last in the barn.

mongofire_99
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dad.

Probably just like the rest of us that say dad, I wish that each of you that you had a dad like mine - and I'm sure you did.

tlfd600
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Well first off my dad and mom for working so hard to provide a good living for me and my brother, and being role models of good, moral behavior, and also for kicking my butt when I was little and got out of line

There are many others that I see now of course I have always had fire fighters,EMS and police as mine. But some I have discovered lately are the working class, like all the janitors, road construction, garbage collection and others of the sort, these people have vary unglamorous jobs but they do it to provide for their family even when they hate their job, they could take the easy way out and be dependent on the state. Look around you and you will find more than you think

fire69dawg
    Firehouse.com Guest

My Dad. He inspired me to join the fire department. He also inspired to make the most of my education, and continue to take training classes to further my knowledge.

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

When I was growing up, especially in my teens, my father and I had (more than) a few problems... and I swore I wasn't ever going to be like him. I take that back every day I live-

Dad... all I can say is thanks. I see a little more of you in me every day, and I'm still learning from you, Pops...

He had Vietnam, I've got fire... I guess we're not so far apart.

Thread Information