Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    ttjjss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post LDH Testing ????

was wondering how everyone else tests their LDH hose. We just got our first load of 5" and are going to put it into service next week. i see the hose has tested to 200psi/supply hose,labeled on it, does it need to be tested to 250 psi like the rest of the hose? Thanks, Tyler.

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Nope.

Most LDH is 200psi annual test with a service pressure (max you should use it at according to the manufacturer) of 185psi.

There is a seperate catergory of "Attack LDH" which has higher pressure rating.

Neptune 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

We test ours to 200psi for 5 minutes. NFPA I think says something like 3, so we like to make sure.

FitzBFDT2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

According to NFPA 1962, you are to test the hose(if the date on the hose jacket is July 1988 or later) to the service test pressure that is also labeled on the hose jacket. You are to test it for 5 minutes after it has reached the prescribed test pressure. Like DAL90 said, most of 5" is 200psi, but always check first.

Just as a side bar, the preceeding is true with any hose that has been constructed on July 1988 or later. For any hose made prior to that date, NFPA 1962 has the service test pressures listed.

Hope this was helpful

------------------
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry, bfdt2@fitzhenry.com
    Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
    City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
    www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Another thing you want to make sure you do is have the means to, and bleed the air out of the LDH when you are filling it. IF not you will have massive amounts of air and it has go go somewhere. We use a manifold with a pressure relief set for 200 PSI, it also has a gauge on it so you can see you are maintaining 200 PSI at at the end.

Corvin
    Firehouse.com Guest

We string out our 5" out (running downhill of course, place 5" to 2 1/2" adapters on the end of the runs, double male to the 2 1/2" nozzles on the rigs and fill with water. Bleed the air from the lines using the nozzle bales, close nozzle and pressurize. The gauge at the pump will indicate the pressure. (we are not fortunate enough to have the manifold).

Finish the test, break the line, fold the line over at the top of the hill, the line sucks itself flat as you drain it, back the rigs over the lines to load. (yes I know, not everyone agrees that the practice is safe)

Test is done, update the records and have a cold soda (They always make us test hose in August in Iowa, I'm not sure why, but I'm sure it's to get even for something we have been doing)

Have fun

Chris

[This message has been edited by Corvin (edited 03-05-2001).]

JohnM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Corvin, sounds good! However you can drive over or beside the LDH going forward instead of backing up. We used to back up, but going forward is easier and safer. I wish we had some hills however like you guys to make the daining "automatic". Flat as a board here.

grc063
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here's one for you guys. How many of you test your NEW LDH prior to putting it in service??? I realize that NFPA recommends that you should do it, however the manufacturer does test every length prior to shipment. This is beginning to be a big debate in my department, as we have just begun taking delivery of almost 4,000' of 5" in 100' lengths. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Besafe, Stay low

------------------
    GRC063

eng10drvr
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are required to test all hose when we receive it.

Corvin
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yeah, you are right. Driving along side, going forward, is safer. Plus I have seen couplings snagged under a rig when trying to straddle them.

We also hose test all hose prior to it being placed in service in our department.

Chris

Thread Information