Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Antipyro77
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question What purpose does it serve?

I think this will probably get shut down, but, what the heck.

I've been reading all the posts about PG county, and unfortunately all the attacks. In the grand scheme of things, what does this accomplish?
    I've worked with a joint fire dept, on both depts. And words have been exchange between the two depts since we joined. And after working with both, i see how well we could work together if we put our differences aside. I also realize this happens everywhere, as proven by the posts about PG.

So my question is, what point does all this bashing serve?

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I could not agee more.....!!!

LtStick
    Firehouse.com Guest

You've hit the nail on the head. It doesn't solve anything all it does is make things worse. The only thing that is accomplished is creating more bad blood.

RJE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Then again, there are those of us who see PG in the post title, and never even open them....

scottbcptwr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Bashing solves nothing,but its the same anywhere in the country. Having been a member of two all Volunteer and one paid Volly I have realized that we have the same arguments or differences just different names and faces around here I just sit back and laugh and when I have too step in and play peace keeper.

------------------
    SBrumley
    Captain WRVFD

dr inferno
    Firehouse.com Guest

RJE you got it right man!! If it says PG anywhere in the title I don't even see if its worth reading as I know it will be waste of time from the beginning, the web team should open a PG forum so that these guys can pound the crap out of each other in their own little area.

DFD FF
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm with you. To me, PG stands for Petty Garbage and I avoid those threads. I am always suspicious when people brag too much and denigrate others. Yeah, yeah, you're the best ... now tell me something I can learn from.

Althea Forhan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Originally posted by RJE:
    Then again, there are those of us who see PG in the post title, and never even open them....
    Yeah, and I'm probably one of them. I opened it the first day it was up, and came back a few days later to find that it had mutated into about twelve pages.

Althea

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

I can tell you exactly what purpose "bashing" serves... it gives those with no wit or true understanding of what the f*** is really going on a way to vent their Neanderthal-based anger at their intended targets, and to make it seem as if they really give a damn about what is going on around them. I've seen it all too often, and so often ignorance is shown through an open mouth. God, people... I've said it before... think about the consequences of your actions before you go off half-cocked... I'm with you, fellas...

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

- Now does everyone understand what I meant when I said that in my opinion I thought that a lot of PG guys were arrogant??

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Antipyro77
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Well put...Lumpy

ggtruckie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Deleted

[This message has been edited by ggtruckie (edited 03-10-2001).]

Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

I don't understand why they want to get into a departmental dispute for the whole world to see. Talk about public image, imagine all the people who come here just to see what firefighting is all about and all they see are departments (Stations) bashing each other. It shows a real lack of intelligence.

------------------
    Leon Bass
    SWVFD Station 16

------------------------
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions and do not reflect the views of my department.

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Folks, the PG forums are just one example of bashing, but hello, aren't we doing the same thing right here by criticizing those posts and the posters???

1627 triggered my brain here and I think we all need to take a step back and realize that these forums, and most others on the internet are in a public domain for any Tom, Dick or Harry to read and form an opinion about. And no, this isn't targetted at PG guys, career guys, volunteers, etc. It is targetted at the fire service in general (including myself). We need to use these forums to be constructive and address people's questions in a mature and civilized manner so that when Taxpayer Jones stumbles in to the forums he reads mature, educated posts not petty teenage arguing. Somehow he might form a little better opinion of us if he saw that rather than some of the BS that's currently sitting out there waiting to be used against us when we least expect it! And believe me, every good opinion helps because it is one less in the negative column!

And GGTruckie -- thanks for keying in another example of the antagonistic posts we shouldn't be letting out for anyone to read!

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thakns for the backing, FFtrainer... and yes, GG, I guess you could say that I am familiar with that fire. I was the officer on the second-in engine on that fire, and am WELL aware of what happened afterwards. I can tell you this... "bashing" ocurred on BOTH sides, and neither benefitted from it. I even posted a message on Local 2598's guest book about the "bashing" and recieved thanks from those on both sides, at least those who were smart enough and honest enough to take a good hard look at the issue and make their own informed decision about what went on, and how to fix it. I can definitely say that the media didn't say much about that first due engine, but the rest of us took quite the emotional beating over it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone... that's why my stance stays the same -"either work constructively to improve what you have, or find somewhere else to work or volunteer" -almost a direct quote.

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

From what I've Read on the PG County Fire Department and seen first hand {Did a Ride Along about 3 years ago @ Co. 33- not that it counts for much} PG County is a Very Well Trained and aggressive Fire Department I even learned a few tricks during my day-long stay w/Co. 33 --- But Latley I've seen One Member after another from PG Bashing each other or somebody elses department ---- These Guys are pulling thier hoses {and not the ones that hold water if you catch my drift} I have the Utmost Respect for the PGFD But, I have herd through other people that personally know members of the PGFD that each Company is constantly having ****ing Contests with each other both on and off the Fire Grounds Up to and Including A Member Assualting another during a structure fire --- Was there a need for that ? NO I understand this happens quite a bit in PG Maybe not as physical but words are always flowing -- One Company against another --- This is Dangerous not to mention Silly --- Whether we are Vollies or Career Members we all need to respect one another and Do the Jobs we were sworn to do --- Who Cares if One Company has a Bigger Rescue Truck than the other or if someones Pumper is Yellow or White ---- Fire Doesn't care --- There are some Damb Good Firefighters in PG and then there are those Few that need to grow up and drop the macho image and realize thier s**t does stink as much as mine and yours --- I Think we all think we're better than the next guys company at times and alot of that has to do with pride which these guys in PG Have but they take the pride thing just a bit too far at times

ggtruckie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lumpy, I know plenty of firefighters from your area, and they are some of the best there is. I also edited my post, It did what is was meant to do, let you know how it feels to have another firefighter belittle your department in front of others, that is all i wanted to do. I apoligize if you were greatly offnded by it, i am sure you were. We ALL have our problems. Best luck in the future.

[This message has been edited by ggtruckie (edited 03-10-2001).]

LisbonTrainingOfficr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My thoughts exactly

SmokeEater31
    Firehouse.com Guest

What makes one firefighter better than another? IS it being paid? Is it being a volunteer? Is it the department we are on? Is it our methods in attacking a fire? How about cutting a car apart?

I don't understand why exactly some of us attack others. We ALL do the same job don't we?

Just remember people....
    United we stand...
    Divided we fall...

We MUST remain each others backup. If there are four of us, and 1 is from a department we do not care for, does that mean we throw out the "Two In, Two Out" rule?

Let's get in the program and remember that when it comes down to brass tacks, when the feces hits the fan, WE...yes ALL of us, are the only thing between life and death. Lose sight of that, and you lose sight of our purpose on this rock.

Just my .02

Your brother in the service,
    Rob

J.E.Beall
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

From a firefighter that rode with Lumpy in the past, you can bet I'd be proud to have him boss any apparatus that I was assigned to.

Former DCVFD member
    Jeff Beall

Thread Information