Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Icerader
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up School Shooting - FD Response

I was taken back when I read some questioned the Santee FD agressive response. Not only do I think it was appropriate I believe there is a moral obligation. This job is an inherently dangerous one. Their response was no different that an aggressive rescue in a burning building. The rish to benefit scale tipped fully toward rescue. These were children. I am a 27 year veteran and a 20 year captain and I would not have hesitated a moment. Congratulation on a job well done Santee. You all have my utmost respect.

Captain Bill Dumas
    Garden Grove Fire Dept.
    Icerader@aol.com

Firelover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I have to agree with you on that one. I was surprised that someone would question such a response. All I can say is good job to the crew on that day.

------------------
    Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

The school shooting in Santee, the Columbine incident, Oklahoma City and every other emergency response to both manmade and natural disasters proves one thing...when the fecal matter hits the fan, everyone needs the Fire Department!

------------------
    Firefighters: rising under adverse conditions to accept the challenge!
    Captain Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Captain Gonzo (edited 03-09-2001).]

Firehouse.com Guest

Just think if it was your family was in that school wouldn't you want everything done to help them. If it was mine I sure would. In MY opinion the dept acted in a way in which I would hope all depts would in a time of need.

------------------
    Leon Bass
    SWVFD Station 16

------------------------
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions and do not reflect the views of my department.

cyberbleve
    Firehouse.com Guest

This was the first that I heard that anybody thought that the initial actions were to aggressive. I work in a combined fire/pd dispatch center and in the last 2 yrs both sides of the fence have had time to think about what needs to be done if this happens.

One of the most important things to remember is that a school is a "target rich environment" (please pardon that analogy, but this is the Original home of TOP GUN after all). Suspects in these incidents have demonstrated with their actions, their willingness to kill those around them. The law enforcement agencies have determined that in a situation like this, they have to get in and contain the shooter fast. Sounds kind of like an aggressive interior attack-the best way to save lives and property is to put the "fire" out fast.

The San Diego SO had deputies onscene within 2 min of the 1st 911 call. And they had the suspect in custody within minutes after that.

Like a lot of departments, members of the Santee FD live in the city. The officer on the 1st due engine company is one of those. He had 2 children that attend Santana HS. From what I heard, he did an excellent job at triage. All the time wondering, "Is the next victim I find going to be my son or daughter?" How do you think you would have handled this type of stress.

I believe it is the responsibility of all of us to reflect on how we would have reacted if this had been our response. What would we have done? How can we be better prepared should this type of tragedy find its way to our front door. But remember, before you make any assumptions on the actions of those that have gone before you...they were there. They saw what needed to be done...and did it. And lives were saved because of their actions...bottom line!!!

I LIVE IN SANTEE! And I think all the crews did a wonderful job. Do I feel safe living here? YES! And a large part of that is due to the professionalism and dedication of all of our emergency service personel.

To the members of the Santee Fire Department, San Diego Sheriffs Department, and all the other departments that provided aid, I thank you.

David Willson

[This message has been edited by cyberbleve (edited 03-10-2001).]

Icerader
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dave, I agree with you completely. My thoughts were based on the Firehouse article. All of the first responders handled the situation with the highest degree of professionalism, from SO to Santee FD and even the school officials. It was apparent they had planned for a like event. Again, to all of those who responded, you have earned the respect of a nation. Thank you!

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I agree with Capt. Dumas --- When something like this happens it is crucial that Emergency Services respond ---- Fire, EMS, PD --- Just because something isn't burning doesn't mean we're not needed

LisbonTrainingOfficr
    Firehouse.com Guest

My Helmet is tipped to those guys at both departments. Keep the faith.
    Stay safe!

[This message has been edited by LisbonTrainingOfficr (edited 03-11-2001).]

cyberbleve
    Firehouse.com Guest

A few weeks ago, I asked if we had all thought about what we would do if this type of tragedy visited our own door step. Well tragedy has struck in my community again. We just had another school shooting today. This incident was about 10 mi from the shooting at Santana HS 2 weeks ago. I was called in early to work (increase in calls from parents in the city I work-diff part of the county) so I do not have many details yet.

But once again, have we all thought about what we would do.....?

My hats off to the El Cajon Police and Fire Departements, and the dispatchers with the Heartland Fire Communications JPA. The Heartland Personell have had to deal with both of these incidents. Good job all!!!!

David Willson

LtStick
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hats off to all those who have had to respond to these incidents. They seem to be ever increasing in frequency as of late and as always its unfortunate that these incidents are taking place.
    Schools are trying to take steps to prevent these incidents without turning them into prisons in the process. They have electronic locks on doors with a buzzer for entry into the building such as the type you see in apartments for the elderly. We also are seeing medal detectors and police officers or security guards in the buildings. They are also utilizing two way radios in even the smaller schools to increase communications with staff and they are also using security cameras. They striving to maintain a safe learning environment and its unfortunate when these incidents happen. It would be hard enough responding to this type of incident not knowing what exactly to expect until you arrive on scene. What would make it even harder is if you had a child in the school or if it was a child of a friend or relative. In the area that I run if we had an incident the Fire Department would most likely be the first ones on scene because we currently don't have a Police Officer and would have to really on ones from other communities and the State Police.
    So once again hats off to all those who have had to deal with these incidents.

Thread Information