Thread: volly vs. paid

sloepoke1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question volly vs. paid

After reading a lot of the post and hearing the arguments of which is best, paid or volly? I have a question for everyone. Does the paid firefighters have a different way to put on their britches than vollies? Well as someone who has been on both sides of the spectrum I can say that the answer is not no but HELL NO!
    We all must remember that whether we get paid or not we are all here to do the same job. If the unthinkable happens and I have to pull another firefighter out of a building I am not going to ask whether he/she is paid or volly I am going to get my brother/sister out of there the best and fastest way possible.Or if on a mutual aid call I am not going to ask if the person that I am assigned to help is paid or volly I will do my best to be a team player and get the job done safely and efficiently.
    I guess what I would like to know is " Why can't we all get along?"

postal79
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

i agree with you 100% i am a volunteer and while i like what i do volunteer wise enough to want to do it paid also i dont care if the town that needs help is paid or not, like posted before are we not all going to the call to do the same thing in more or less the same way "put the wet stuff on the hot stuff"? my question to a paid person is if you live in a town with a volunteer department and your house catches on fire do you care that they are volunteer as long as they put it out? and to a volunteer if you work in a town with a paid dept and you car catches on fire do you care if he/she is paid?
    i dont either way

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Don't matter to me if you pay to do it or get paid to do it. Just as long as you want to help and have the training.

Stay safe,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

Adze
    Firehouse.com Guest

It doens't matter if you are paid or volunteer...it matters how professional you are. There are some really good paid guys, and some really crappy ones. There are some really good volunteers, and some really crappy ones.

With that said, let's not pollute this forum with that old Paid Vs Volunteer bull****.

Forum Member

Well Iam a vollie and some of our crew have been fighting fires for 10 or more years and I've been to fires where the paid crew from the next shire turned out and saw that our crew was on the job and left us to it and went back to the station ready for their next call. That showed me as a rookie that our crew are pretty good at their job.
    That said if all you do is train and fight fires then you are going to be that much better aren't you....
    Where I live in Western Australia we have a fire service with 1500 paid FF and 32000 vollies, in the SW of WA their is only 2 paid fire stations (14FF) to cover an area that would be bigger than any state in the USA the rest are vollies. Our shire is next to the city of Bunbury and we have 5 brigades in our shire all vollies.

Forum Member

Way to dig up a six year old thread.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Way to dig up a six year old thread.
    ...and to add to that: thanks for digging up one of the oldest and hottest debates on this website. About the only one that holds a candle is "Fog vs Smoothbore".
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Banned

Now this is too funny. Not only is it 6 years old, but the first 4 post look like they are all from the same person.

My first thought was - Ah Geez, not this crap again.

After all, we all know that neither is better than the other. We are all one big happy family

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

here is the answer you've been looking for...Doesn't matter paid or vollie, it all depends on the fighter. It's up the that person to decide on how well or how crappie a firefighter they want to be. Training is the key. Never stop learning more.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    here is the answer you've been looking for...Doesn't matter paid or vollie, it all depends on the fighter. It's up the that person to decide on how well or how crappie a firefighter they want to be. Training is the key. Never stop learning more.
    Don't know how much you have paid attention to the forums in the past, but I will tell you this. This issue has been debated on numerous occasions and it usually turns into a $h1t storm. I predict it takes less than 1 page to get ugly.

4 pages until it gets the closed for business sign.

Forum Member

I'm amazed that it didn't take CSI Miami to find this one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Don't know how much you have paid attention to the forums in the past, but I will tell you this. This issue has been debated on numerous occasions and it usually turns into a $h1t storm. I predict it takes less than 1 page to get ugly.

4 pages until it gets the closed for business sign.
    I'm pretty new in here. I've come in on occasion in the past just never posted. Now i've started posting and learning the new and old stuff...lol...My apologies for being such a forum probie...lol
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    I'm pretty new in here. I've come in on occasion in the past just never posted. Now i've started posting and learning the new and old stuff...lol...My apologies for being such a forum probie...lol
    Just like everything in life - You have to start somewhere. You will find that there are some on here who think because they have already seen it and know it that everyone should know it.
    Last edited by HotTrotter; 08-05-2007 at 05:01 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Just like everything in life - You have to star somewhere. You will find that there are some on here who think because they have already seen it and know it that everyone should know it.
    Sounds like a few people i know in my company...lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sloepoke1 View Post
    I guess what I would like to know is " Why can't we all get along?"
    The biggest reason I can give you from personal experience from working in a combo department is the money guys and politicos would dangle the vollies over the career folks like the sword of Damocles. The implication has been for some time if the career guys didn't get in line we would be replaced. Of course it took a while, but it was an empty threat since the vollies have a response rate that is less than half. Between midnight and 6am it's even worse. They are quick to take the glory but rarely want to do any of the mundane work that goes along with being a firefighter. Ours could go away tomorrow and no one would notice.
    Last edited by scfire86; 08-05-2007 at 12:51 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

B Shifter

Default Career or Volunteer

I put my bunker pants on just like the next guy whether he is career or volunteer, but when I put them on the fire goes out!
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rjtoc2 View Post
    I put my bunker pants on just like the next guy whether he is career or volunteer, but when I put them on the fire goes out!
    Same here. What's your point? The vollies here don't show up. So it's really hard for them to put their bunkers on.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Same here. What's your point? The vollies here don't show up. So it's really hard for them to put their bunkers on.
    You too!MayBe I should use those dressing rooms more.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by coldfront; 08-06-2007 at 04:12 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Dumbest. New guy. Ever.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post
    You too!Maye I should use those dressing rooms more.
    There's a reason why you're a hillbilly and I'm not.

Do a records request and get the facts for yourself. Or maybe you just like to prove your ignorance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rjtoc2 View Post
    Damn!! We usually have to put water on the fire. And to think, just by putting on your bunkers the fire goes out

B Shifter

Default ?

Damn!! We usually have to put water on the fire. And to think, just by putting on your bunkers the fire goes out
    I take it by your response that you are not a Christopher Walken fan.
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

Forum Member

Cool

[QUOTE=scfire86;846502]There's a reason why you're a hillbilly and I'm not.

Do a records request and get the facts for yourself. Or maybe you just like to prove your ignorance.[/Q

We all can't be blessed!

A hillbilly went hunting one day in Oklahoma and bagged three ducks.
    He put them in the bed of his pickup truck and was about to drive home when he was confronted by an ornery game warden that didn't like hillbillies.

The game warden ordered to the hillbilly to show his hunting license, and the hillbilly pulled out a valid Oklahoma hunting license.

The game warden looked at the license, then reached over and picked up one of the ducks, sniffed its butt, and said, "This duck ain't from Oklahoma. This is a Kansas duck. You got a Kansas huntin' license, boy?"

The hillbilly reached into his wallet and produced a Kansas hunting license. The game warden looked at it, then reached over and grabbed the second duck, sniffed its butt, and said "This ain't no Kansas duck. This duck's from Arkansas. You got a Arkansas license?"

The hillbilly reached into his wallet and produced an Arkansas hunting license.
    The warden then reached over and picked up the third duck, sniffed its butt, and said this ain't no Arkansas duck. This here duck's from South Carolina. You got a South Carolina huntin' license?" Again the hillbilly reached into his wallet and brought out a South Carolina hunting license.

The game warden was extremely frustrated at this point, and he yelled at the hillbilly "Just where the hell are you from?" The hillbilly turned around, bent over, dropped his pants, and said, "You tell me, expert
    Last edited by coldfront; 08-06-2007 at 04:24 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Now Trotter, all fire will eventually go out, whether we have our bunkers on or not!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post

We all can't be blessed!
    Wow. A great response. Using a joke that has no bearing in reality.

Thread Information