Wheelman1619
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Do We need another Suad on the north side of PG county??

Do we need Rescue Squad 13? Will it be staffed?

Philip C
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I don't think so. Regardless of staffing, that service will be duplicated as it will take away from 1,2,14 and 22. Instead of a rescue squad, how about a tanker?! The nearest one is Bowie, so the service wouldn't be repeated nearby and 13 could start a new concept of "Urban Water Shuttle Operations". What an innovation!! Take care and be safe.

------------------
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

ridingbucket83
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to agree with Philip C, with squads at 14,1,2,22, and 18 there is absolutely no reason for a squad at 13. Not only will that add one more squad to an already overcrowded area, there is no possible way that 13 will be able to get the squad at sufficiently staffed and everyone in this county knows it.

tillerman14
    Firehouse.com Guest

This does not need another rescue squad on the north side of the county. There are already way to many squads in the county. Phillip C. has a great idea for 13 if they want a special service. Get a tanker,,,,granted no one in PG county knows anything about tanker shuttle operations except for 25,,,who doen's even have a tanker but is good at what they do,,,,,WATER SUPPLY,,,,,maybe 13 could get a tanker they could take it out driver only,,,,and use it on 15th Ave boxes!

Calvertvolunteer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Trucks,

In the future, use a little bit of descretion about your comments. You and I both know that remarks like that have shut down more than one PG thread.

hot2ha
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Not to sound nasty but the real fact is 13 has a hard time getting there equipment out full staffed.The statement made by a chief officer from 13 was if we get a squad we can get more members. Come on 13, Get the members first. Dont delay someones elses squad because they have to wait to be dispatched to the call. They have to have the resque unit run out of there 3 nights a week. With a Squad it takes more then the paidman and a volunteer to run it. Come on 13 peoples lives depent on you. There are so many other special services needed why not try one of them. Do several membership drives. Go to the High Schools again and again. Dont let peoples lives suffer.

[This message has been edited by hot2ha (edited 03-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by hot2ha (edited 03-15-2001).]

ridingbucket83
    Firehouse.com Guest

While were talking about staffing, how many times have we heard the chiefs of 13 making up staffing? This is not going to work with a sqaud. I know if i am on a working fire and 13 is my RIC team i will be wondering if they will even be there if someone i am working with or myself need rescuing. Just a point to ponder

CMDR.BACKDRAFT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Rescue Squad 13, Where did this New "Special ED Service" come from? Is this an attempt to provide the citizens of Prince George's County with the best possible service or a payback for signing a consolidation deal?

Lets think and go back a few years, when Truck 9 first came along, they were told NO because there was adequate "Special Service" coverage in the area (North Side). Finally through dealing and who knows what, Truck 9 after its repairs (accident damage) will become a full time "Special Service". There has been no change in the "Special Service" coverage in the area, yet we have a new Truck.

Now we will have Rescue Squad 13, just 1 station away from Station 9 in a area that the Fire Chief has, in his own words stated "has adequate coverage" plus 1 (Truck 9), whats the deal here?

So I understand Rescue Squad 13 will initially will only run 13's first due area (another backdoor technique to a full service unit i.e. Rescue Wagon 18, Metro Support Unit 1 and Truck 9, you get the picture).

Has anyone (13 itself or the county) addressed the Staffing issues at Station 13, as we all know, Ambulance 139 is "Driver Only" at least 40% of the time and Engine 131 responds with no more than 3 plus a Chief? on any given call. Following the New G.O 3-6, a second Rescue Squad would have to follow Rescue Squad 13 on atleast 50% (generous estimate) of its calls? Not to mention the "bail out" factor, and they will need alot of HELP! What a great idea for the citizens of this county!

Next, Why is Rescue 30 Stationed at 13 at all, is this also part of a "Deal" or in the intrest of the Citizen's. If I recall, Rescue 30 was initial intended to cover the "Ambulance Void" known as 33 and 28's First due areas (yet another issue). Question, If Rescue 13 oooppps Rescue 30 is at Station 13, does the Rescue Unit G.O. still apply (a 10 minute response area), can all the stations that surround 13 now ask for the Rescue Unit? and will we now dispatch an extra Engine behind Engine Company 30 on every call, Engine 301 "Driver Only" Ambulance 309 is on yet another call.

Are there Checks and Balances in the County Fire Department, or has the Fire Chief become "KING" and answers to no one?

[This message has been edited by CMDR.BACKDRAFT (edited 03-16-2001).]

tillerman14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Excellent points to wonder about CMDR.BACKDRAFT. I am sorry if I ever offended anyone with my posts.

9Tim5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Many of you have posted legitimate concerns. There are problems that need to be addressed. However, STAND BEHIND 13 and THEIR SQUAD rather than poke fun at them. Positive support and encouragement will do much more for everyone...the citizens, the county, your corporation, and you. What goes around comes around.

tillerman14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Stand behind them,,,,you are either crazy or from 13 or both.

Why should we stand behind a company that wants to start a service that will cut down other company's response areas. I don't know about you but I joined the fire department to run calls and I will not support them.

TowerPower
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Tillerman14- I think what you meant to say is that you don't want to support anyone that will cut down your run area with a lesser service. If a company has a unit that can do squad work and they can staff it then it should be allowed to do the job. But if the rig doesnt meet specs OR if their is never anyone expereinced enough to staff it then it should NOT run.

Unfortunately this was a deal made for political reasons and not for operational reasons. We all know that we cant win the political stuff so we're just gonna have to roll with the punches and keeping doing our job---HARDCORE!

tillerman14
    Firehouse.com Guest

I understand your point TOWERPOWER if it makes sense PGFD or the county doesn't do it. I guess Squad 14 and 1 will just be fixing whatever 13 fu(&$ up! CMDR.BACKDRAFT I think the deal with Truck 9 is fine after I think about it. With Trucks 2 and 3 on their last limbs and 1 & 24 permanantly running two out of the three only reserve ladder trucks this county has and Tower 7 always OOS

haliganbr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Tillerman14,
    What do you mean TK-3 is on its last limb?. It still has plenty of life left in it. Just because there is no power steering in the tiller, or hardly any suppension, there isn't a thing tape and bunjee cords can't hold together. Plus the tractor isn't all that old.

tillerman14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Maybe TK-3 isn't on its last limb,,,,,,but TK-2??

Philip C
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I agree that we should stand behind each other and support one another as far as being members of this department goes, but it is the IDEA of RS13 that I don't support. I am not being negative towards or bad mouthing 13. They should save their money for something else, unless the county is buying it, in which case, they should spend the money on a reserve truck or squad. Or better yet, a few thermal imaging cameras. On second thought, there are PLENTY of cameras to go around, buy the squad. Take care and be safe.

------------------
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

SMD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I just want one of THE TSHIRTs that have been made recently. Berwyn Heights knows what im talkin about. Take care.

trucks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I'll tell you flat out what i think, 13 cant do a decent job as an engine. They usually can't get a fully staffed piece out, when they do they get beat in by pretty much every due company because they had to wait at the station for 13A and 13B to get there to get the engine out. Tell them to buy a reserve truck or something? What the hell is wrong with you, why would they need another truck up here in this area? 1,2,3,9,12,14,34. Yea buying another truck would be just a great idea. How bout this, 13 fixes the problems they have currently before they get anything new or try and make any advances on a good squad like 14 who can get the job done. What's the point in have sq13 if you are gonna have to special sq14 on every call they run cause they can't get the job done????????????????

Philip C
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

trucks, my reply says that if the COUNTY is buying the squad, they should save the money and buy a reserve truck or squad, both of which are needed. In my first reply I said another rescue squad would be duplicating a service already provided. Why would I then say 13 should get a truck? That would be more duplication. What the hell is wrong with you? Take care and be safe.

------------------
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

Squadman
    Firehouse.com Guest

On the Squad 13 issue. The Berwyn Heights Volunteer Fire Department will not officially post any views or concerns on this webpage about the issue. Any person on here claiming to be connected to company 14 is only posting their own views and is in no way an official representative of the Berwyn Heights Volunteer Fire Department.

James V. Ward
    President
    BHVFD CO. 14

Thread Information