Forum Member

Lightbulb you point

Since this is OLD NEWS to you my only point is that the same people who produce the units you DON'T like are the same company that build the one that you do like,and I would dare say with many of the same components.Get the point now?Just 'cause it comes from the left coast doesn't necessarily make it good.T.C.

Permanently Removed

Default Forget it...

Rescue 101...Forget it, I have NEVER bad mouthed
    the Federal mechanical sirens. I dont care for their
    electronics and this subject is old and you wont
    hear anymore from me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tomorrow I have to make a decision on which dashlight I am going to buy. Some helpful opinions will be great. I am trying to decided between a code 3 dashlazer, firebeam with the flash mirror, or the tir6 whelen slimlighter.

Forum Member

Ok, now I am confused. Last month, you bright back from the dead and made up like 15 different threads about lights in all the different forums. You went on and on in all of them about how you just bought the Slimlighter and it blinded everyone better than eveything else out there. Why are now asking for opinions on which one you should get? Or were you BS'ing about getting the Slimlighter to impress people with your flashing lights?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

The slimlighter was actually my friends which he let me borrow. I now have the cash to buy my own but still am not sure.

In washington you are allowed to use green lights on your POV while in motion. However, My department does not allow you to use lights while enroute to a scene. On the other hand, we are allowed to have lights while at scene, as long as they are yellow or white. I have white strobes on the rear deck of my explorer. I find that white is very bright at night, and slows people down even more, because they can't see. It seems as well that people are also "blind" to yellow lights because they see them so often. I don't have any lights on the front of my vehicle, I just use the hazards.

Forum Member

Exclamation Lights

I cant see any reason for having lights and sirens in a POV. People need to chill out with all the freakin lights. Gets kind of confusing when everybody has some sort of flashing lights in their car, nobody knows what they mean anyway. Here in Nova Scotia firefighters are not permitted under any circumstance to have lights and/or sirens in their POV's. Besides, there arent any colors left anyway unless we use blacklights or something.

Fire - Red - some Amber - some clear
    Police - Red - Blue - Amber - Clear
    Ambulance - Red - Amber
    Command Centre (fire mutual aid etc.) - Green
    Hearse - Purple
    Public service (DOT etc.) - Amber

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by corynick
    I cant see any reason for having lights and sirens in a POV. People need to chill out with all the freakin lights. Gets kind of confusing when everybody has some sort of flashing lights in their car, nobody knows what they mean anyway. Here in Nova Scotia firefighters are not permitted under any circumstance to have lights and/or sirens in their POV's. Besides, there arent any colors left anyway unless we use blacklights or something.

Ambulance - Red - Amber
    Hearse - Purple

and you have to dig up a 4 year old thread to talk ****itit why?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HR314
    Just wondering what type of warning lights, if any, that you are using on your POV. Also what colors are allowed to be used in your area? We are allowed to use red and clear to the front only with red and amber to the rear! I am looking to install lights on my POV but just wanted to know what ya'll have found to be a good investment. Thanks ahead of time for the help!!!!

------------------
    Will Roberts
    Firefighter II/ EMT-B
    Heucks Retreat Fire Department
    Brookhaven, MS

If you are looking to minimize modifications to your vehicle, then the Whelen Dashmiser series is probably the best option for you. Get the self contained units as you do not have to purchase separate power supplies for them...unless you just want to spend all day mounting, wiring, and cursing. Fire & Safety Outfitters ( http://www.fireoutfitters.com ) sells them much cheaper than Galls. If you're looking for a siren, look at www.sirennet.com for the SVP 670. It's only $124.00, and it's compact and full function. I would really shy away from the combination control boxes. If one component craps out on you, then you basically have to replace the entire unit. Sure, they can fix it, but it's usually just as expensive as just replacing it.

At any rate, look at your state's transportation code/motor vehicle code so that you can stay compliant. Nothing more embarrasing than to be ticketed because you stepped on the toes of the law.

Forum Member

I am waiting for someone to put a Q siren on a car or truck.

Forum Member

Default ...

I was bored, and I didnt see the date till aftermy post.

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, Here I go....I don't think you should put lights and sirens on any POV. POV's are not emergency vehicles and typically do not receive normal emergency vehicle maint. With this you get JOE BOB with his 82' Chevy pickup with rusted wheel wells responding in a vehicle that is other wise not safe for that type of driving.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by corynick

Ambulance - Red - Amber
    Hearse - Purple

You know what? We dont need trolls like you stirring the already bubbling pot. If you haven't noticed, the only two arguments that get people riled up around here are paid vs. volley and this damn light issue. If you can't find anything constructive to do other than stir the pot, then keep your *** in Nova Scotia.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

KEEPBACK200FEET - you forgot fog vs straight stream nozzles and red vs slime yellow fire trucks
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

I have a 10KW AMPS generator on my POV to power my lights. Is that wrong???

P.S. I'm being sarcastic
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Yea well, you know.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Forum Member

Default Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek

If people only want to become firefighters so they can decorate their vehicles like a christmas tree, they are not true firefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

So when you are a volunteer (which is not a bad thing) and a student in college or even high school, it is okay to have lights and sirens on your car? Then when your buddies come over to get drunk, you take them out for a cruise in your quasi fire rig?
    What about the guy who has his rig all dolled up and parks outside the bar or strip club??
    These are just some simple reasons I don't believe in POV lighting. But hey I am just a paid guy now and don't know any better right KeepBack

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    I have a 10KW AMPS generator on my POV to power my lights. Is that wrong???
    Smokey, that was funny
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1
    I am waiting for someone to put a Q siren on a car or truck.
    It's been done...Ford Project Responder Ultimate Volunteer Response Vehicle.

It was a project truck...an '87 F-250...and yes, when finished it had a Q-2 dead center on the bumper...

HMMMM...I had a '74 Pinto...If Id added a few alternators...and mounted a 'Q' on the roof...wonder if I'd have gotten a few extra pounds of thrust when I wound it out???
    ...South of the James...By Invitation Only!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    So when you are a volunteer (which is not a bad thing) and a student in college or even high school, it is okay to have lights and sirens on your car? Then when your buddies come over to get drunk, you take them out for a cruise in your quasi fire rig?
    What about the guy who has his rig all dolled up and parks outside the bar or strip club??
    These are just some simple reasons I don't believe in POV lighting. But hey I am just a paid guy now and don't know any better right KeepBack
    First off, I'm a college student; and I have lights in my Cherokee that I HARDLY ever run. The way I see it is if one of my drunk buddies cut my lights on, I'd beat his ***. Then again, if your drunk you shouldn't be in your POV because your prob. driving. Secondly, the guy outside the strip club is a moot point because it bears no relavance to this argument. Thirdly, DO NOT try and put me on either side of the paid vs. volly argument. I do not appreciate that.

Forum Member

Okay, Here I go....I don't think you should put lights and sirens on any POV. POV's are not emergency vehicles and typically do not receive normal emergency vehicle maint. With this you get JOE BOB with his 82' Chevy pickup with rusted wheel wells responding in a vehicle that is other wise not safe for that type of driving.

EHS, many rural departments depend greatly on members rigging their vehicles to be utilized in responding direct to the scene. Texas states that a POV is an authorized emergency vehicle when equipped in accordance with the Texas Transportation Code. If I am toned out to assist with a medical on my side of our district, it makes more sense for me to respond direct rather than drive 7 minutes to the station, take three minutes to get our light rescue out the door, then drive another 7 minutes back. In my POV, I have as much gear as I will ever reasonably need as a first responder, therefore it is much more expedient to use my POV. And while it is true that some individuals choose to overlook the maintenance of their vehicles on some departments, our chief is authorized by policy to determine whether or not a vehicle is suitable to rig out and respond with. We are required minimally to have current state inspection certifications, liability insurance, and registration before our personnel can even use their POV's to respond in with or without emergency equipment. This is in contrast, sadly, to some departments that don't impose such policies.

At any rate, as long as a vehicle is equipped according to the laws that govern the area the firefighter is in AND the vehicle operator drives with the proper due regard required, I say, "No harm, no foul".

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Lighten up (Punn intended)

Not every POV equipped with a red-light is an on-call or volunteer!
    There are also career, yes IAFF, that use red-lights on their POV to respond for call-backs.
    It could also be a doctor’s vehicle.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriTownship600
    Not every POV equipped with a red-light is an on-call or volunteer!
    There are also career, yes IAFF, that use red-lights on their POV to respond for call-backs.
    It could also be a doctor’s vehicle.

Stay Safe

Yea, cause Lord knows EVERY vehicle has redlights equipped from the factory, oh wait, thats the brake lights. Maybe we should remove them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe the Texas DMV takes things a little more seriously. That is great if they(pov response vehices) actually get checked out. I have seen too many people and heard too much about problems with POV emregency response that it just doesn't seem to be worth the added liability. Talk to your insurance companies as well and find out what happens if you get in a wreck. Will your dept pay for ALL damages?? I bet not especially if it is volunteer. Anyway, thats great if your state has special rules but overall I think it is a bad idea. Just think a small dept with 20 volunteers alll running hot to get to a scene or to a station.........well, who knows?

Thread Information