Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    DFD132
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry Blue Lights and Siren

When is New York going to change the DOT law stating we as volunteers can have sirens with our bluelights. Does anybody know of any changes to the bluelight law. Is is still only 24 inch barlights, 32 candle power,no break in middle,one light. This law stinks I think they should limit what the Chiefs Red Bar lights. DFD132

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I can see the Ned for Blue Lights --- I use one...A Mini-Bar with 2 rotators. Clear Lense with blue rotators. Works well when I use It which isn't all that often {Depends on the Call and time of Day --- You know how people are I'm Sure} But Sirens in Vollies P.O.V.S ? I would have to say No -- Unless you respond a great distance and directly to the call it would confuse traffic ? I'm not sure if you respond to your hall as I do for Calls but if you do imagine 25 sirens comming in diffrent directions...Not a good Thing...Here's an Idea next call you get try responding with say... just your four ways and maybe high beams {if it's day time } forget you have a light and see if you get there any faster --- I did it and found you really don't --- Makes you wonder if Blue Lights are nessessary --- And I have a Four Mile Run from Home to Fire Hall --- 'Jersey Law restricts Us Too but most don't follow it --- With Strobes and Wig-Wags and so forth the person who wrote the law would probably roll over in thier grave.....Hope I was able to Help

RS225
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

well in tennessee our vol. have a class to,pass then we can run red lights and siren on our pov once you pass the course you can put what you want on your pov it just has to have a 360 degree radius for all to see

------------------
    ...fire fetish???......
    ...damn right!!!!

Permanently Removed

Default Lights and Siren

I am in Ohio and have been a Firefighter/EMT since 1999. While on active duty at Minot ND. Air Force Base, I was a volunteer firefighter for the Burlington F.D. There are drastic differences between Ohio and North Dakota in regards to Volunteer Firefighter/EMT's running lights and sirens.

In ND it is illegal to have ANY flashing White Lights... so This rules out Wig Wags in the head lights. Volunteers must run Blue lights, obey ALL traffic laws, red lights, speed limit's etc. It is also weird that Law Enforcement runs all Red / Red & White.

In OHIO, Volunteers run red/white (just the same as on the Fire Trucks and Ambulances them self). By Ohio Law, you MUST run a siren IF you are running Emergency Lights. No, Bryan I disagree with you about 25 different sets of sirens coming to the station. The bottom line is, if EVERYONE goes the speed limit, stops and waits for red lights it truly does slow down response time and this causes people to die. Longer response time to the station is a longer response time to a patient or a house on fire.

Ohio Law states: http://www.wtfd.net/orc4511.html
    Section ß 4511.01.

The driver of any emergency vehicle or public safety vehicle, when responding to an emergency call, upon approaching a red or stop signal or any stop sign shall slow down as necessary for safety to traffic, but may proceed cautiously past such red or stop sign or signal with due regard for the safety of all persons using the street or highway.

The prima-facie speed limitations set forth in section 4511.21 of the Revised Code do not apply to emergency vehicles or public safety vehicles when they are responding to emergency calls and are equipped with and displaying at least one flashing, rotating, or oscillating light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet to the front of the vehicle and when the drivers thereof sound audible signals by bell, siren, or exhaust whistle. This section does not relieve the driver of an emergency vehicle or public safety vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the street or highway.

The law goes onto state that any driver on the road, MUST by LAW Yield to an Emergency Vehicle just the same as they yield to an Ambulance or Fire Truck. Now, bear in mind you still have to slow down at traffic lights, or stop... IF traffic is clear you can go through. But, we all know how people fail to yield to emergency vehicles.

Bottom line is IF you are running lights and siren and there is an accident, you are at fault. I think it is ridiculous that in North Dakota, you cannot run any white light flashing, i.e. wig wags. No sirens and MUST obey ALL traffic laws etc. So That means in an ambulance you should sit at a red light and wait for it to go green right? After all, the person that drove to the station is now driving the Ambulance or Fire Truck.

Sounds dumb don't it? There are many other states just the same. If people are worried about someone driving their POV with lights and sirens, then they should be worried about them driving a Fire Truck right? No you say? Good... Lets get on the legislature folks to change the laws.

Well, That's about all I have for now. Be safe and drive well.

This has got to be a new record for post dredging.

Permanently Removed

Default Post Dredging?

No, Idiot... It is conversation about running sirens and lights. But you are too introverted to understand what was put there. So, did you have to use a thesaurus for those BIG words you used? OH Wait, I know what it is... You aren't smart enough to read the entire posting and what it is about.

OH and I am IAFF and a Full time Firefighter/Medic, which I have been doing for 10 years. Therefore, I have just a little bit of knowledge to back up my opinion. I bet you were beat up everyday in school too for being an idiot.

No, Idiot... It is conversation about running sirens and lights.
    Whatever. You're the one who dredged up a seven year old post. Couldn't you find a whacker post made more recently? Do you have no sense of humor? Not been around here long, have you?
    OH and I am IAFF and a Full time Firefighter/Medic, which I have been doing for 10 years. Therefore, I have just a little bit of knowledge to back up my opinion. I bet you were beat up everyday in school too for being an idiot.
    Yawn. Grow up, or you won't last long here.

By the way, you were having a "conversation" with people that have been gone for years. So, I guess that means you were just talking to yourself. Off your meds again, are we?

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Well. You dig up a thread that is almost eight years old, and ThNozzleman comments on that, and this is your response? Jesus, man, grow some skin. You've got six whole posts here, two of which are on this thread and that's your response? Where'd you come from, The Watchdesk?

Take a valium, already.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Take a valium, already.
    What he said. And some advice; when Jaybird has my back here, it's not a good sign for you.

OH and I am out on disability / medical leave, so I have ALL day to argue with you...
    Let me guess; closed head injury with severe swelling?
    OH and reading all your other posts you seem to be a bully.
    Wow! You read all 3000+?? Amazing! I'm so honored.
    Again...yaaaaawwwwwn.
    Hey, I'll bet you could find some posts from 2000 to make relevant observations on while you're waiting for the swelling to subside. I'll leave you to it, clown.

Where'd you come from, The Watchdesk?
    Good one...and probably accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    What he said. And some advice; when Jaybird has my back here, it's not a good sign for you.
    I've got your back too, Nozz.......Now I KNOW it's Christmas and the spirit of kindness is out there......

And fireforce, thats ok......It's mind over matter.....We dont mind, because you dont matter. Now please go back on your lithium.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

I've got your back too, Nozz.......Now I KNOW it's Christmas and the spirit of kindness is out there......
    OMG...I think I just got religion!

Yea Im a Hose jockie.., Got a Problem with it ? Dident think so!!
    And he says I ride the short bus.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireforce1144 View Post

Its a conversations about Dinger lights, sorry but being a paid guy really doesn't help you out here.

Can't be a real vet, real vets dont go about thumping their chests about "protecting our rights".

OH and I am IAFF and a Full time Firefighter/Medic
    That pretty much explains it.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

. OH and reading all your other posts you seem to be a bully.

No, No that's two O's in Goose.

##Now back to our regularly scheduled program.##

Actually, Noz is correct 99% of the time and being very strong willed is not a psychological disability. I particularly appreciated his posts in the "Running a dry pump" thread and felt his pain throughout the correspondence. Especially when I read that a centrifugal pump creates suction is some people's galaxies.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    No, No that's two O's in Goose.
    Great. I gotta stop drinking liquids around the computer......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

I see Alecshan has spawned !!!!!!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information