FRED
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Aggressive Interior Attack

The following is paraphrased from a section of "Command and Control of Fires and Emergencies" by Chief Dunn (FDNY) that I had recently read. I also saw it posted on a message board moderated by Chief Montagna as well.

What is an Aggressive Interior Attack? You know one, when you see one; But could you describe one to a civilian?

Several years ago(early 1990s I think) the Chief of the FDNY tried to come up with that very answer after being asked what one was by the city council. He enlisted the help of many of his Deputies. Here is what they found...

These 10 tactics defiine an Aggressive Interior Attack:

1.Firefighters advance hoselines beyond the doorway into the burning room or hall.
    2.Firefighters operate on the roof to perform ventilation.
    3.Firefighters enter buildings and search for the location of the fire before a protective hoseline has been deployed.
    4.Firefighters conduct a primary search for victims before the fire has been extinguished.
    5.Firefighters perform a search above the fire before the fire has been extinguished.
    6.To vent smoke, firemen break windows that can't be opened manually.
    7. Firefighters force open dooes and locks when they suspect there is fire in a room.
    8.Firefighters break open plaster walls and ceilings, as well as cut open floors, to search for extension in concealed spaces.
    9.Firefighters use small-diameter hoselines (1 3/4" or less) for quick advance on the fire.
    10.Firefighters attack a structure fire using a hoseline supplied from a limited water source, such as a booster tank, rather than from a continuous supply, such as a hydrant.

In their opinion, a Nonaggressive interior attack consits of ten less-dangerous tactics:

1.Firefighters do not advance an attack hoseline beyond the doorway. Additional hoselines are stretched to confine the fire.
    2.Firefighters do not operate on the roof above the fire. Horizontal ventilation is used instead.
    3.Firefighters do not search for the fire[or people] unless accompanied by a protective hoseline.
    4 Firefighters do not conduct a primary search until the fire has been declared under control by the fire chief.
    5.Firefighters do not go above the fire until it has been declared under control.
    6.Firefighters do not vent windows unless ordered, and then only under the supervision of an officer.
    7.Firefighters do not force open doors unless so ordered, and ten only under the supervision of an officer.
    8.Firefighters do not open plaster walls or ceilings, nor cut up flooring, to search for fire unless ordered, and then only under the supervision of an officer.
    9.Firefighters stretch only large-diameter hoselines (2 1/2"or more) at structure fires.
    10.Firefighters do not perform an interior attack unless they have a continuous water supply, such as from a hydrant or when drafting from a large body of water.

My question is...does this seem to be an acurate representation or gauge of an aggressive attack? What are your thoughts and comments.

My self...I feel it is as accurate a description as one could make, considering the abstract aspect of the concept itself.

What do you guys think?

[This message has been edited by FRED (edited 03-25-2001).]

David Polikoff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Yes I feel what is written is accurate of an aggressive interior attack, but don't count out the 2 1/2" hand line. It is a good line for strip store fires (taxpayers) it is an easy line to stretch in a strip store fire because there are not many turns to make most of the stores are straight and narrow. The fire load you could encounter in this type of fire may be much higher that that of a house fire, therefore the 2 1/2" line would be ideal for extinguishing this fire. Also FDNY uses 2 1/2" hand line for their high-rise operations. This is done due to the fire load and the heat produced in a high-rise fire.

David Polikoff www.workingfire.net

LtStick
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'd say that is a pretty good description of one to me. I can't think of a better way to descibe it than that. it's not an easy task to describe in detail what we do in such a manner that the average person who doesn't know about Firefighting would understand or compreahend.

[This message has been edited by LtStick (edited 03-25-2001).]

Thread Information