Firelover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy Child dies in Fire.

I saw this broadcast on the news and I was amazed. It's too bad that the child had to loose his life, but I hope that the FD can determine why he died. I just thought I'd share what I had found.

Child who died in fire called a hero

Mon. Mar. 26 2001 8:02 AM

A five-year-old boy who died in a house fire after alerting his parents to the flames was being hailed as a hero Monday.

Brandon Fuller was pronounced dead at a hospital in Allison, Ont. Sunday after the fire at a house at Canadian Forces Base Borden.

Pte. Adam Strickland, his wife Meghan, and Brandon's two-year-old brother Evan escaped without injuries.

``(The parents) wanted people to know that Brandon was a hero in this and alerted them to the fire and for whatever reason didn't make it out,'' said base spokeswoman Capt. Cheryl Swarbrick.

``They are very proud of their little boy.''

Brandon shook his father and mother awake as smoke filled their bedroom and before the smoke alarm went off, said Lieut. Vance White.

------------------
    Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Forum Member

Hi, I know this was from a long time ago (we're going on 6 years this March), but I wanted to thank you for posting something about Brandon.

The final decision was smoke inhaillation (??) as the cause of death. Unfortunately, the Ontario FM couldn't figure out exactly what happened the house. They tried to tell us that he must have been playing with a lighter or something, but we know that it's BS.

After many talks (arguments) with NIS (military police), we told them what we saw and what we did; they told me that what I SAW didn't happen, where the fire WAS - wasn't, and it happened "this way" instead. We saw it in the kitchen, they say it started in the living room - we had to walk PAST where they say it started in order to go into the kitchen. Yah, I'm still a little bitter, but what can you do? You're against the entire government, and they wont' budge.

But, back to the point. Thank you for being touched by what happened to us. Evan is now 7 and a goalie for his minor hockey team here in Petawawa. Brandon has a new baby brother, Nathan, who was 19 months yesterday. Adam and I are still together (yay, screw those statistics, huh?), he's still in the military, and maybe someday we'll get posted back "home" to be closer to Brandon.

Here's a picture of *our boys*.

Forum Member

Its nice to hear positives after such a tragic loss...I am sorry for your loss...Thank you for the update.....

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I was in the Petawawa area about 10 days ago. I travel up that way at least 2x per year for visits with my two young boys (7 and 5). I echo beachffgirl's sentiment.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

OMG OMG OMG! We just found out the other day that it was, in fact, electrical.

Which is great, since we've spent the past 6 years doubting what WE knew, right? We found out from the Fire Chief here on base when he came to do our little inspection that they do when you move into a new MQ. We were talking about the safety stuff and I mentioned that we're pretty sticky on that since we've had a PMQ fire before. Then he was telling us that the video they did of the other side of the duplex is now used in training (yay!) and that they're changing where/how many/what kinds of smoke detectors are in the MQs now (double yay!). I had said about how we didn't know what happened and that the last we'd heard was the OFM stated it was open flame, unknown cause (I think). He responds by saying the last HE heard was that it HAD been found to be electrical.... Holy Wow! It was seriously the best news we'd had in ages.... if only the OFM had thought we would have liked to know.

So, we're not crazy, it really was electrical.

Well, I was just on reading over again. It's Brandon's birthday today, so it's been a little rough, so I like to read about how awesome he really was especially on hard days.

Take care! You all are amazing for what you do!!!!

Meghan

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Meghan, that is GREAT news. Still sad to know that there is a lost one out there, but that things are well in your neck o da woods. I was up your way back in November for a week, visiting my sons who live in the area. While I was there we had a tour of the Base Museum - they are both really big into army stuff LOL. During the visit, the Base Firehall was out playing with their new Bronto firetruck, so we stopped and watched for a while.

Even though I try to get up that way at least once a year, not sure I will be there this year - its a big year training cycle for me this year.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Meghan, I'm not sure if you still check this post/forum or not but I just wanted to say how sorry my wife and I were to hear about Brandon. We were your neighbours for a while and moved just before this happened. Brandon used to play with our son Evan all the time and when we heard about what happened, we were devastated to hear about your loss. I still think about that and how that was such a sad day for everyone because Brandon was such a kind, gentle kid with a huge smile and we always loved having him over to play with our son. I know words can never take away the pain of your loss but I just wanted you to know that we still think of that and remember him as he was. Its great to hear that your son Evan is doing great and you guys are moving on with your lives, just know that there are still people out there that still remember him and will never forget.

Take care of yourselves and stay positive

Darryl Ranger

Forum Member

A 10 year old thread and the OP isn't registered here any longer........

Thread Information