Thread: Vacation

BFD847
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Vacation

I work for a small full time department with seven people per shift.
    1 Assistant Chief
    1 Captain
    5 Firefighter/paramedics
    Our current vacation policy allows only one of for vacation at a time. And only increments of 12 or 24 hours.

Just wondering how other peoples are.

4iron
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I've found in talking to firefighters around the country the last 17 years,the smaller the department=the worst benefits,ie:longer hours,less pay,less sick leave,less vacation time.(Let me clarify this by saying this IS the general trend!)Vacation coverage is alot tougher for small departments.We are allowed 4 people off per shift(100 line firefighters)in the summer and Christmas,and 3 people off/shift during the rest of the year.All summer vacation days must be taken in 24 hours slots.(our shift=24on/48off)Summer vacations must also be taken as 5 day slots,in other words,when we schedule our vacation in summer&Xmas,we MUST take off 5 working days in a row.Which gives us 17 straight days off.These are scheduled by senority "picks" of vacation.And the total #of vacation days range from 6 to 15,depending on length of service.
    Hope this helps.

BFD847
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for the input.
    I am hoping to get an e-mail address for 4Iron. I think it was you that I seen a reply for positive preassure ventilation. Had some questions for you.

Thread Information