Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool IDEA'S ON TRAINING FOR EXPLORERES/JR'S

Sorry bout the Mispelling in the title wish I could fix it but ohwell here it goes..
    We just started a explorer program and are beginning some training like with hose lines,how to pack up hose,run the hydrants etc...was just wondering what type of training do your depts do with your explorers or juniors? We are looking for some new ideas to train so if you have any good idea's let me know..thanks..

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Explorer Engine 6 So. Amboy Fire Dept & Cadet Morgan FAS
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

[This message has been edited by Engine58 (edited 03-31-2001).]

Eng522ine
    Firehouse.com Guest

Engine58... my dept. is also starting a Jr's program and four of the best things I can think of teaching them are:

1) obeying orders

2) staying out of the way (knowing where they belong)

3) location of all equipment on the trucks

4) how to change an SCBA cylinder

Just a few suggestions. Good luck with it.
    Be safe.

FGFD43
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

As a Jr. Firefighter Advisor, I would like to add a couple of suggestions to Eng522ine's list.
    1. Fire Behavior
    2. Basic First Aid & CPR
    3. Firefighter Safety

------------------
    Kevin Sink
    Fair Grove Fire Dept.
    Thomasville, NC USA
    kevinsink@northstate.net

Yanjam5123
    Firehouse.com Guest

If your looking for more ideas on drilling excersizes I can think of more then a few but here is 1 for now, if you like it, e-mail me for more. I used to be Captain of the Juniors for my dept and as Captain it was my job to ocme up with the ideas for my fellow Junior members. A drill that went over well was a search and rescue. Use tables on end to simulate walls and create a maze or floor pln of a house. Put either a dummy or boot or something to rescue somewhere within the maze/floor plan whatever you decide to create. Gear up and practice search and rescue. Use black out masks of course.

ATEAM08
    Firehouse.com Guest

The best traing you can give Jr.'s is to teach them to be proactive members of a fire scene. Meaning that you teach them to run the scenario's in their head and think of what could be needed next by the firefighters...ie overhaul tools, air bottles...training them in this method allows them to be well liked if they always have what the firefighters want before they ask, and gives them the best preparation for moving to the rank of firefighter

PA Volunteer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unfortunately for Juniors, the most important task for them, at the fire scene is being a "gopher." Therefore, the first training we do with our Juniors is to make sure they know exactly where everything is on every piece of apparatus, and how to hook it up and put it in service. Then we study each tool so they know for what and when it is used. They don't even think of training on an air pack until they know this cold. The next step is a lot of classroom training beginning with what the Juniors are allowed, and not allowed to do, in accordance with state/local law. Then maybe we'll let them look at the air packs.

LMfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

What we do for our Explorers is use the same trainings as they would in the academy. I use my IFSTA book and the questions and all the training materials I have from when I went through Firefighter 1&2. THis will let them know what trainings they will have to do as firefighters and will also give them a big step ahead in firefighting.

One thing I would like to stress though is that they are there to LEARN not to be your SLAVES!

FIREMAN203
    Firehouse.com Guest

WE HAVE A TOTAL OF 5 JRS/EXPLORER
    THE BEST THING WE LIKE TO DO FOR THEM IS ON A WEEKLY BASIS THEY CHECK ALL THE EQUIPMENT ON THE RIGS ALSO THEY LIKE TO TRAIN USING SCBA
    WE FOUND OUT THAT MORE THEY DO MORE INTERESTING IT IS FOR THEM AND THEY STAY AROUND FOR AWHILE

Thread Information