CVFD26
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post scott SCBA cylinders failing EDDY test

Is there any other dept out there that has had to take Scott Aulminum bottles out of service because they fail the EDDY test. If so have you had any trouble from Scott, with them replacing them if they are not older then their expected life. We had 6 to fail and we sent them back and still havent heard anything back from them. That was 2 months ago

wofd1
    Firehouse.com Guest

yes we have had bottles fail and scott (luxfer) has replaced bottle only, no valve free. it took 4-5 months for the rewplacements to come. we have since decided that due to the yearly visuchecks on alum bottles to start replacing them with carbon fiber, what a difference. stay safe

Jim M.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

What exactly is an eddy test and where is it performed?

Our bottles get hydro-tested as required, but never heard of eddy testing.

Thanks.

TCFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes, we had 13 Aluminum and Wrapped Luxfer cylinders that fit the NIOSH notice published in 1999. They were all tested, 2 failed, took about 2-3 months to receive the replacement bottles from Luxfer. The notice concerns Luxfer aluminum and wrapped cylinders produced between 1972 and 1988 and had to do with the 6351 alloy used in their manufacture. Apparently these bottles have had hairline cracks form, usually around the neck/shoulder of the bottle, that are detected by a special test that can be performed by your Scott dealer. Normal hydro testing will not find these cracks. If I remember correctly there were about a dozen failures involving these bottles that caused the notice, usually during refilling. I don't believe anyone was injured but some apparatus got pretty banged up.

Here's the Niosh notice:
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/3al_run.html

[This message has been edited by TCFire (edited 04-02-2001).]

RRepasky
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I was searching through the forums for this exact topic and came across this discussion. We were just informed of this problem 2 weeks ago. I see by the NIOSH link, this was issued in 1999. We pulled 19 Aluminum Cylinders out of service because they were from 1988 and older. Our initial decision was to just replace all cylinders prior to 1989 and not even bother with the testing each year. My question is since the notice came out in 1999 and we have gone through 2 Scott qualified inspections since then, why weren't we told about this before? Is this a recall from Scott or is it just a warning of prevention? What is Scott doing to help with this recall? Has anyone else gone through this?

------------------
    Robert Repasky, Asst. Chief
    Sayre Fire Dept.
    Sayre Pennsylvania
    http://home.cyber-quest.com/sfd

Truckman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Remember that this NIOSH alert is for ALL cylinders produced with the referred to lot numbers. This includes other manufactures, i.e... Survivair, MSA, etc. It also includes SCUBA bottles.

It is just my belief, but I feel that once the product is sold to the department, the manufacture will only post product specific recalls in a publicized area and the department will not necessarily know unless someone within keeps up with it. They have your money.

Good Luck, Be Safe

CVFD26
    Firehouse.com Guest

Since I have sarted this topic we recieved the 5 bottles back from Scott. We had one other bottle fail the eddy test and Scott also replaced this bottle no questions asked

SFD-129-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

We decomissioned 5 or 6 of the affected bottles. They were extras and we weren't going to have them tested visually every year or so.

firefighter0143
    Firehouse.com Guest

i think your department should be using the more better lighter composite bottles rather than the al. bottles

neut
    Firehouse.com Guest

we had one scott (luxfer ) fail the eddy test. sent it to them and they sent us a new bottle. took a couple months though

Forum Member

To clarify what an eddie test is. There is a special ultrasonic test device for cylinders. you turn it on and thread the test probe slowly into the cylinder while watching a display. A flat line =ok a wavy line is bad. The machine we have at work is very accurate it picked up that the first part of the end of the inside thread of and scba cyl was boogered up. you could see it by using a mirror and a light. Like someone said before this is for all cyls not just scott ones even co2 fire extinguishers

MembersZone Subscriber

If any dept. in NJ missed this notice, there is someone seriously asleep in your dept. The NJ DFS sent out mutliple notices and alerts on this topic. They also published an investigation report on two cylinder explosions that occurred during refilling. I assisted in the invesitgation of one of them. Permanently disabled a vol. FF. Ugly. Screw the test. Get rid of them.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Already had 2 fail and now we want to go to the composite bottles, however we are struggling between 2.2 and 4.5 because of some rumors that 2216 psi will be obsolete in the next 5 years.
    LEATHER FOREVER

Thread Information