Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    david2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post sthil or fd k-12

what are the pros and cons of each and what do you pref. in cut off saws

DCFD1051
    Firehouse.com Guest

The K12 FD (modified partner 950)is lighter and was designed specifically for fire department use. The Partner 650 is lighter than the FD and the 950, but is not as powerfull. The Stihl saw is a commercial saw designed for use in construction. In addition, Stihl does not recommend using carbide-tipped blades on their saws. Need I say more!?

[This message has been edited by DCFD1051 (edited 04-04-2001).]

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Stihl is a godforsaken piece of CRAP! It far outweighs the K12, and is underpowered, as well!! Should be used as a boat anchor!!!!

The best circular saw, in my opinion, is the Partner K700A, equipped with the WARTHOG brand blade......Smaller, lighter, and just as powerful as the K-12!!!!

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Phildabox
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Army....quit beating around the bush and come right out and say you don't like the Stihl.

Be safe bro.

DML
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why a gas powered cut-off saw is called a K12

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

DML- The term "K-12" is a derivitive of "K-1200" which was Partner's first (and most successful) venture into the Firefighting Industry. That was sometime in the mid seventies, I believe. They were so popular, they had a virtual monopoly on the circular saw market for a few years, until Homelite started marketing their XL-98 as a Fire Department saw. For some reason, I guess it has become habit for a lot of us to call a circular saw a "K-12".

And Phil.....I don't like Stihl, unless it's a boat anchor!!!

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

We still have an XL-98 on my engine. We keep a DynaBlade on it and cuts like a champ.

We used to have 3 or 4 of them, but have been replacing them (when they finally croaked) with Stihls. The Stihls work great but are heavy and very hard to hold in awkward positions.

Thread Information