YBFD240
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post To pay or not to pay

I am writing a paper for a course I am taking. The subject or thesis statement is “a full-time, paid fire chief to administer York’s two fire departments is overdue.” I have the paper outlined and started writing, but I don’t want to overlook something. I assume there are many fire departments facing the issue of staying with a volunteer chief or go to a paid chief, or the other way. What are some of the reasons.

RS225
    Firehouse.com Guest

we pay our cheif to ensure that he does his job. as a vol. rescue squad members show up when they want but the cheif has to be there and has to take care of his dutys at the station.

SmokeEater31
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have gone both ways acutally.

We started years ago as a total volunteer department.

Then about 5 years ago, they decided that they wanted a paid chief.

They went through 2 in about 4 years. The pay that we could offer was not enough for the chiefs to make a living to support thier respective families. My current Captain was the second paid Chief that we had. He finally had to give it up to support his wife and 3 children.

We are now back to a volunteer Chief.

The pros and cons are obvious.

A paid chief has the opportunity to take care of pre-plans and investigations and so forth. He is also there 9-5 M-F to care for burn permits and ensure that they are not mis-handled and so forth, plus many other paperwork duties.

The Con in our case is that our budget was not enough to handle a family man. A single man maybe would be a consideration, but, even though we technically STILL have the money in the budget, it does not seem that for the amount of calls we run per year (avg 120-140) that a paid Chief is prudent at this juncture in our life as a department.

Just a couple of thoughts from a brother in Nebraska.

------------------
    Your Brother In The Service,
    Rob Herpel
    FF/EMT
    Vice-Pres./Asst. EMS Coordinator
    Fremont Rural Fire Department

Thread Information