d308
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Stortz Connections

I was just wanting to know what the people that use stortz connections think of them. The times that I have seen them used to draft they had a hard time getting suction. Also is there a problem having to switch gaskets from preasure to suction and vise-versa. I was needing this info before we consider purchasing LDH so we could know if there would be any problems.

Appreciate your Reply

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you are using draft gaskets not hose gaskets you shouldn't have any trouble. We've used them ot here for 6 or 7 years on all rigs. I think I like Cam Loks better though.

Firelover
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use Storcks fittings on our supply lines and as well on our hard suction lines. The only problem we have is with suction for drafting, but that's been fixed with new gaskets. Personally, I like the storks fittings. There's quick and easy to maneuver with in the dark.

------------------
    Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use 5" supply with Stortz couplings, and they work pretty well. The few problems we've had involve couplings coming undone when laying supply line, but as long as one makes sure the quarter-turn is complete, it shouldn't relly happen. They are much easier to couple and uncouple quickly in times of need. Hope this helps you...

FFSThomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Storz on LDH is the only way to go. Be sure you guys get the locking type, I don't think that they make the "tightening" type any more but, be sure that your couplings do not require spanner wrenches-they have locking levers on each coupling. 1/3 of a turn and "click", it's locked. Never drafted with storz before, only threads. Good Luck.

------------------

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

Make sure you don't buy locking storz if you draft, folding or rigid long handles only.

dr inferno
    Firehouse.com Guest

LHS: Good to see someone knows the correct name of the hose couplings!! The couplings (storz) with locks are ok as long as everyone IS aware that the hose has locks, and its a good idea to lube the gaskets on reassembly of a hose load or the can be a real bast#%d to disconnect without hose spanners.

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you put storz locks on hard suction hose you'll need four hands to operate the locks and the spanners at the same time. I've seen the movie over and over. A draft gasket fully coulped to a draft gasket is impossible to remove without spanners and if the locks are coupled you can't move the coupling to release the locks. In most cases you'll need two guys maybe three.

Chiefkeo
    Firehouse.com Guest

We purchased a new pumper in 1999. Equipped with 1000' of LDH and stortz fittings on the intakes. We had a hard time maintaining a draft connection but hydrant supply is quick and easy. Our builder evidently never heard of the draft gaskets. We tried various gaskets and even changed the flexible hard suctions. Whenever a tanker dumped or someone leaned against the hose we lost prime. We solved the problem by equipping one side of the pumper with NST intakes and changing the hard suction to NST. I heard of departments who carry duct tape with them to seal the stortz but why spend the extra time. This works good for us Driver Side Supply connection and Passenger Side Draft connection. Just takes some thinking ahead for positioning.

------------------
    I shall fear no evil, for I am a Firefighter

Thread Information