Post DFD132 heres one for you!!

------------------
    DFD132

[This message has been edited by jstang (edited 04-15-2001).]

KeithA8
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

jstang
    Right on the money brother!!! I nominate him as hoople of the year.

------------------
    IAFF member, Love this job! Hate SCABS!

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ummm, Keith -

And what would you consider "scabs" in the fire service?

------------------
    J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

Ford45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

oh, my god. you poor bastards. you really are sick. god help you guys.

------------------
    Matt
    Newtown Fire Association
    Station 45

jstang
    Firehouse.com Guest

Heres the army, if anyone wants to get rowdy.
    D
    F
    D

------------------
    DFD132

[This message has been edited by jstang (edited 04-16-2001).]

jstang
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ford 45 For you.

------------------

KeithA8
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Buckseng91-
    please refer to forums under volunteers and read one titled "Pain in the @$$ at the fire hall". My reply explains scabs for you.

------------------

jstang
    Firehouse.com Guest

Okay, Okay I've had my fun, before this thing get carried away and locked up.Stay safe.

570eck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Too much time on your hands? Lets fight fires not each other. If you're tricking yourself into thinking that you're better than anyone else just remember who might be bailing your *** one day.

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

KeithA8 -

I read the postings that you referred to in the volunteer forum. You better check your definitions, brother. I was in a union for years when I started on the railroad. "Scabs" are defined as people who will do your job (NOTE - *YOUR* job) for less or for free.

Now, I don't recall seeing many career firefighters being replaced by volunteers. Who is trying to take your union, career firefighting job, Keith? Are you trying to say that there are actually people out there volunteering to do your particular job, in your particular town? Now THAT would be a scab, but I seriously doubt that's the case.

Volunteer firefighters are not "scabs by definition", Keith. That's like saying that career firefighters are civil service hacks, or low-paid cannon fodder. Neither is in the least bit true, but there are people who probably believe it.

And why do you insist on seeing volunteer firefighters as "competition", as you put it? Is firefighting a competition or game, where the career and volly companies race each other to fires? This ain't the 1800s, Keith.

See, this is the kind of stuff that sets off these stupid "career vs. volunteer" fights on here. Calm down, be happy that you have a career as a firefighter, and stop throwing it in people's faces. It's unbecoming of a member of this proud and noble tradition.

We do agree on this, though - DFD is a wacker.

------------------
    J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

KeithA8
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Buckseng-
    Did I ever say it was a voly/career war? No, as a matter of fact I specificaly said it wasn't. AGAIN I have nothing against voly's. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "compitition" 'cause some people don't understand that it was an analogy - not a fence between paid/voly's. In the business world the company that provides the same service as you is the compitition - not in the fire service. Get it? So if you are a volunteer and not a paid guy than don't worry about it! If so, then my opinion stands. Did anyone read the forum by DFD1LT (AKA DFD132) titled apology?

------------------

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm also not looking to get into one of those same old career vs. volly p*ssing matches. Inevitably, everyone loses.

I just find it a little hard to swallow when you spout utter crap like "All volunteers are scabs by definition." I think you need to turn the attitude down a few notches.

We're all professionals here. Let's act like it, what do you say?

------------------
    J. Black

FIREFLY2420
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Bucks,

I dont think anybody could have said it any better. I really never thought about the "scab" thing like that. My father in law is a retired career firefighter. He calls me a scab all the time because I am a paid on call firefighter. I know it is just family razzing so it does not really bother me. But when I hear someone call us scabs again I will think about what you said. Thanks brother and be safe.

Paid or Unpaid we all do it for the same reason!!!

------------------
    ANDREW J. LAPRISE
    FF/MFR PAID-ON-CALL
    LYON TWP. , MICHIGAN

KeithA8
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

WHACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

------------------

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Whatever, Keith, whatever...

------------------
    J. Black

Thread Information