Captainluke
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post USFA posts concern over low # of apps for fire act grants

Could the reason be that the low number is the concern of smaller departments who do not have someone who works strictly on grants being scared by the # of pages and information required in a short period of time? I asked a person who looks for grants for our regional planning commission and he also was kind of intimidated by the grant paperwork and the very short time frame in which to get it turned in. I was huuried to try and find additional funding for the 10% as well as other needed paperwork to get things ready to turn in. I am still trying to get all the nessicary paperwork together to get it express mailed to the gov't to make the deadline.

LtStick
    Firehouse.com Guest

I believe you have hot the nail on the head. I've looked at the paper work and I have to say that it looks like a royal Pain. What ever happened to simple. Oh that's right its the government we are dealing with they don't understand that word. I know some companies in my area don't want to be bothered with the paperwork and some would have trouble coming up with the 10%. Especially some of these smaller Volunteer Fire Co's.
    I think if they want to help the Fire Service out that's fine but, if there going to help don't make getting the help a major undertaking.

xenophon13
    Firehouse.com Guest

The gov't isn't worried about the low number of apps. for the FIRE grant. It was probably their plan the whole time to make it as difficult as possible for fire dept to complete that they would not have to worry about giving out all the money they were supposed to. This way they can say "hey nobody wants the money and it was an misconceived plan that we can cut out of the next years budget".

------------------
    When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

EastKyFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

Xeno:

B I N G O.

Congressional logic: Spent not is needed not.

mongofire_99
    Firehouse.com Guest

Remember we begged them for this.

And the Isrealites begged for a king...

Did we really think federal involvement in a local issue would make it better?

Did we really think actually getting our hands on other peoples money that was taken from them by force would be easy?

Did we really think that they were just going to have an app that says:

How much do you have? ____________

How much do you need? ____________

What are you going to use it for? ___________

For populations under 50,000, can you match 10%? YES NO

For populations over 50,000 can you match 30%? YES NO

Can You Sign Here ___________

Here's the real kicker, I can see some city manager telling a fire department their budget increase for a new sack of widgets is denied simply because they didn't bother to apply for federal funding so they obviously don't need them that bad.

Sometimes we've got to be careful what you ask for, you just might get it and all the headaches that go along with it.

[This message has been edited by mongofire_99 (edited 04-19-2001).]

Captainluke
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by mongofire_99:
    Remember we begged them for this.

And the Isrealites begged for a king...

Did we really think federal involvement in a local issue would make it better?

Did we really think actually getting our hands on other peoples money that was taken from them by force would be easy?

Did we really think that they were just going to have an app that says:

How much do you have? ____________

How much do you need? ____________

What are you going to use it for? ___________

For populations under 50,000, can you match 10%? YES NO

For populations over 50,000 can you match 30%? YES NO

Can You Sign Here ___________

Here's the real kicker, I can see some city manager telling a fire department their budget increase for a new sack of widgets is denied simply because they didn't bother to apply for federal funding so they obviously don't need them that bad.

Sometimes we've got to be careful what you ask for, you just might get it and all the headaches that go along with it.

[This message has been edited by mongofire_99 (edited 04-19-2001).]
    This is true, But some of us who try to get the paperwork done must remember, there is the way we think it must be done and the way the gov't wants it done.... some of us who do not have the avenues of funding except for grants see many different was of approaching grants and the gent thats doing ours (and he does quite a few grants) say's that he hasn't seen a grant app like this and such a short time frame to get it in.....

alexff67
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

The Feds are also changing the rules in mid stream every chance they get. We have been working on our grant application and everytime you call Fema for a question they have changed the way you do this or that part. Their seems to be no set in stone way of doing it.

Tillerdog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Gee Mongo you're everywhere!
    I agree the paperwork looks intimidating at first, but it really isn't, if your department has any record keeping at all, you should be able to fill these forms without trouble. The questions on the apllication are the questions you should have to answer for any funding need you'd have anyway.

What do you want?
    How much does it cost?
    What is the benefit of having it?
    Is it cost-effective?
    Will it aid in protecting your personnel and community?
    Are you willing to show that it was necessary?
    All you need to do is justify each of these questions, as I stated earlier you should've been doing this on the local level anyway. The problem I have had is contacting vendors to update pricing, so my numbers are accurate.

We in Northern New Jersey recently had the good fortune to meet with Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-NJ), Chief Ken Burris from USFA, and reps from FEMA, I know they were also going elsewhere throughout the country to explain and clarify the program, but the bottom line was this...as compared to other federal grants this is much easier to apply for, easier even than law enforcement grants. The paperwork requirement has been reduced, and your fellow firefighters will be the ones reviewing your applications in May and June, not faceless bureaucrats. If you're not reporting to NFIRS, I don't know why, it's a great opportunity to show the nation what we do, not anecdotal evidence but hard numbers, and more importantly it's a chance to see what we are doing, and what we should be doing. If you use it you should have no trouble justifying why you need equipment personnel, etc.

If your municipality can't provide just 10% of the total funding costs, then I would say you have bigger problems than any program could help you with. For those that are interested we were also told that there are approx. 94 billion dollars in private grants available each year, you might want to look into this, but you still fill out applications for them.

Mongo: As always, I respectfully disagree, the feds involvement hasn't been that much of a problem except to FEMA (go figure), and it's not so much the feds as politics. Rest assured that on 9/30/01 I hope to be in possesion of some of that hard earned Texas captital so unjustly snatched from you April 15th. I promise I'll crack open a Lone Star Tall Boy and christen our new equipment (I hope...) in your honor..."The MongoFire Firefighter Accountability System" It has a nice ring to it and I promise to send you pictures...you know ever since the War of Northern Aggression, we Yankees have had a taste for southern money, and none is as sweet as Texas Taxes!

Stay Safe all!

mongofire_99
    Firehouse.com Guest

....had the good fortune to meet with Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-NJ), Chief Ken Burris from USFA, and reps from FEMA,

Hey did you ask if the Act was constitutional and if so on what grounds?

What did they say?

the feds involvement hasn't been that much of a problem except to FEMA (go figure)

FEMA, the first word is Federal. Problems surprise us?

and it's not so much the feds as politics.

Try to seperate the two. (I can wait for this one)

"The MongoFire Firefighter Accountability System" It has a nice ring to it and I promise to send you pictures...

It does have a nice ring to it. But please don't name it after me if it's anything less than the Grace T-Pass system.

I'd hate to know you wasted confiscated money from Americas 'unworking families on cheap name tags and some velcro on a board. When you could have made the same system from stuff from the local arts and craft store for about $50.00.

you know ever since the War of Northern Aggression, we Yankees have had a taste for southern money, and none is as sweet as Texas Taxes!

Yeah, with the confiscatory tax rates you guys pay, you need the feds get more money for you from us feedom loving Americans at gun point. Did your wife ever tell you we don't pay state income tax?

(Here's a quick little off topic side note for you too. A few years back, the liberals of this state got a Robin Hood school tax passed so the lower performing schools in the state could steal money from the higher performing schools for education improvement. Well, just like the federal eductaion confiscation and redistribution of wealth plan it hasn't worked so now nitwits among the teachers of this great state want to use this stolen money to fund their health insurance so it doesn't have to be taken out of their paycheck like yours, mine and just about everybody elses with health benefits is.)

Thread Information