Thread: FIRE Act

CV639
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question FIRE Act

I was just wondering how many fire departments out there haven't applied for the FIRE grants because the application it so complicated? I am on one of the top fire departments in my state and I know we are applying, and that our chief and PIO have worked tirelessly (as with most things) in order to get this application ready to be sent. I ve been told it involves quite a bit of work to get these ready to send and I think that may hinder some departments in applying. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this..

These are my opinions and mine alone. They are not to be taken as an interpetation of my department's opinions.

[This message has been edited by CV639 (edited 04-23-2001).]

LtStick
    Firehouse.com Guest

I found out something interesting at a meeting I was at Sunday. According to what I was told during the meeting. If you apply and aren't get awarded the grant you won't know you'll be stuck in limbo. You won't know and they aren't going to tell you.
    This was what we were told bye a member of the Association that I belong to. I'm not sure how true this info is but, according to the individual the info came from a very reliable source.
    If this is true then there was a serious flaw in the system.
    Has anyone else heard anything about this?

toddmcbr
    Firehouse.com Guest

We just finished our application. Myself and another member did all the work on it. I'm going to estimate that we have collectively put 30 to 40 hours in it. That may be a little high?? However, I have been involved in quite a few different grants and this was actually not to bad. When I first looked at the grant I thought it was going to be complicated, but when I got going it was actually pretty simple. We started it before the application came out so we had a head start.

To the departments that think there is too much paperwork and time involved in this grant.....FEMA is not going to be showing up at your fire station with their checkbook asking you how much they should make the check out for!!

If you want the funds, you have to put a little work into this. I was actually shocked when I had heard how many applications had been turned in so far. I figured it would have been well over 2000 when that came out. I guess it made me somewhat excited knowing that our chances had increased also.

This is a great opportunity for small volunteer fire departments. I just wish there was enough money so every applicant could receive grant funds.

Todd

jmk271
    Firehouse.com Guest

That would kinda suck if FEMA didn't have the common courtesy to at least tell you that your application had been denied. I think they at least owe every department that applies that information. We spent about 50 hours getting ours together, and if we get it or not, we would at least like an acknowledgement of some kind. Whether it's good or bad.

JMK271 Wapella(IL) Fire & Rescue

[This message has been edited by jmk271 (edited 04-24-2001).]

toddmcbr
    Firehouse.com Guest

According to the USFA website, they are going to let applicants know one way or the other.

Will I be told whether my application has been accepted or rejected? If so when will that happen?
    We intend to send a letter, stating the final disposition of every application that is received and logged into our system, to each applicant. Award letters must be sent by September 30, 2001, and we expect all "non-award" letters will be sent by then as well.

Todd

LtStick
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hopefully the information I was given on Sunday was wrong. Only time will tell for sure. I'm not exactly sure who or where the person on the committee that gave us this information had gotten it from. I'll have to make some inquiries to out where the information was gotten from and post it when I find out.

bbilani
    Firehouse.com Guest

Considering I filled the grant app. out for our det., I sure hope we not only find out if we DON'T get the grant, but the reason for refusal. I also think the reason more depts. haven't sent in their apps. yet is because all the "i"s must be dotted and all the "t"s crossed, and then you're still not sure!

------------------
    bbilani

Tillerdog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by LtStick:
    Hopefully the information I was given on Sunday was wrong. Only time will tell for sure. I'm not exactly sure who or where the person on the committee that gave us this information had gotten it from. I'll have to make some inquiries to out where the information was gotten from and post it when I find out.
    According to a USFA/FEMA meeting I attended, they stated something to the effect that if your application is unsucessful, it wouldn't be practical to identify to each agency why their apps were rejected. I don't know if this has changed, but I would suggest that if you are not successful in getting funding, look for "lessons learned" information from the peer evaluators, after the review periods.

Good Luck, and Stay Safe.
    GPM

Thread Information