medic427
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool History of Firefighting a documentary in progress please help

Dear Firefighters,

I am 22 years old and I a paramedic/firefighter and documentary film maker. I am working on a documentary about the history of fire fighting and I was wondering if any of you could please recommend books about the history of firefighters in the world. I want to start from the first written record of fire fighting and then tell the story from there. I was also wondering if there are any FDNY veterans in the new York long island area that are willing to talk about there experiences in the new York city fire department. I am already planning on attending all of the new York city heat series at the new York city FD museum can anyone recommend any museums that are also good through out the us. I would appreciate any advice and any information and I must thank you all for taking the time to read my post and your kind reply if possible.

Thank You Very Much,
    Rich Walston
    rwalston@optonline.net
    Superich@mac.com

ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

The American Firehouse, by Rebecca Zurier Abbeville Press. New York is a very nice source on the social and architectural history of American Firefighting.

NFD270
    Firehouse.com Guest

THE HALL OF FLAME-museum in arizona

THE CHICAGO FIRE MUSEUM- name says it all

HALIFAX FIRE MUSEUM

History of firefighting.....

Look it up in the encyclopedia.....

I WAS ALSO WONDERING IF YOU MIGHT PUT JR. FIREFIGHTERS AND CADETS INTO YOUR DOCUMENTRY OR MAKE A WHOLE DIFFERENT ONE ABOUT CADETS AND TEENAGERS PLANNING ON BEING IN THE FIELD.....I'D LOVE TO BE IN THAT AND I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT US....THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO THINK ALL KIDS ARE BAD AND OTHERS WHO THINK WHAT WE DO IS DUMB...ID LIKE TO TRY AND CHANGE THAT....ILL KEEP IN TOUCH WITH YOU...ALSO...ID LIKE TO BUY A COPY OF THE DOCUMENTARY IF I COULD....EMAIL ME WITH INFO.....ROADBLOCKNFD@HOTMAIL. COM OR NFD270@HOTMAIL.COM.........THA NKS A BUNCH......

------------------
    Cadet Adam Spencer
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa, MO 65714

Firediver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Sounds like a great idea. I would purchase/view a movie like that. But please, if you are going to make a doc. about the origins of firefighting, please remember that firefighting did not begin, nor does it end with FDNY. Now I know they are a great dept. with a lot of history and tradition, but they a just a part of what makes this brotherhood great. Remember the small guys too Please don't get in a tizzy because I said that, because I have nothing but respect for FDNY, but I also hate to see the little dept.'s thrown to the wayside.

Thanks and I hope to see the film

------------------
    Craig Walker

stay low....stay safe....BUT GET YOU SOME!!!!

medic427
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I promise I will not forget all the smaller FDs besides FDNY because I am a member of one of them! I only am relying on FDNY a lot now because my father is a 23 year veteran and those are the only connections I have so, that is why I put the emphasis on FDNY. I will not sell the documentary at a profit except maybe if it all will go to the cornell firefighters burn center or widows of firefighters or similiar good natured organization. I can only hope that my fifteen man SUNY-purchase production team will do it justice. I think it looks like 9 months guys right now just to let you before I am able to at least assemble a rough video cut that I will post online for audience feedback. I will have a web page at www.apple.com for the hosting of the movie and as soon I am done with the rough cut. I will post a public message and all you guys can give me feedback on the movie.

Thanks very much for all the feedback you guys keep the information and post coming!

Thanks very much,
    Richard Walston
    superich@mac.com
    rwalston@optonline.net

Drewbo
    Firehouse.com Guest

The History Channel did a great 5 part series a few years ago. I would suggest logging on to historychannel.com and finding the series. They document all sourses they use, don't know if you can get that over the internet from them, but heck, woth a shot. I was a history major in college, and did my senior paper on firefighting. unfortunatly right now I am in Texas and my work in storage in PA. I will make some phone calls (imagine that in todays email world) and see if I can get my works sighted page.
    Take care

PS Look at Philly. They have history as the first organized FD under Ben Franklin, (who was a cheif), also they just published a new history book a year or so back.

------------------
    * God Looked down and
    * saw this was bad, it
    * was bad, it was Drew

[This message has been edited by Drewbo (edited 05-06-2001).]

Thread Information