Tim Sinnott
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Monocular Vision in the fire service

I am asking for your opinions.
    I am a 32 yo Volunteer firefighter in Baltimore County MD I currently have many certs and hold the position of Lieutenant. I also drive both a 1992 Spartan/4 guys a 1975 CF mack Engine and 1999 105' Rearmount Ladder truck. It has been life life goal to become a Baltimore City Firefighter but was denied the position due to the vision in my right eye. Even though I am covered under the Americans with Disabilities act. NFPA set a vision standard and the city feels that I am a threat to other firefighters.
    I am going to continue my fight threw legal matter but I wanted to hear from other how they felt.

I have been working on firegrounds with Paid/Career firefighters as a volunteer for 16 years but yet when I try to get paid for it I will then become a threat.

Well what is your feeling on this. All I am asking for is honesty

PS My vision is 20/200 and not correctable at this time.

[This message has been edited by Tim Sinnott (edited 05-03-2001).]

CousinVinny354
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think it is messed up that you can volly with less than perfect vision but not get a paid job.

Are you like legally blind? Do your eyes make the grade with corrective lenses? Can they pass with corrective lenses or surgery.. If so.. Gotta spend the $ and do what it takes to get where you wanna be.

I guess that certain places have different standards than others. Balto Countys must be different than the city. Ever notice how some extremely overweight guys can drive in the vollies but not in a paid place?? Thats half of Long Island.

Good Luck in your fight..

Vinny

Da Sharkie
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am career firefighter in Massachusetts and let's just say my vision is worse than yours. I wear contacts and have taken 3 different NFPA physicals and as long I have worn the contacts I have never failed a vison test or had any problems with it. I suggest getting a copy of the NFPA 1582 medical standard for firefighters. This is what was used in my case for the physicals and as I said there was no problem. I have never had a problem wearing contact lenses in a fire with SCBA or during a brush fire.

------------------
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything.

Tim Sinnott
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by Da Sharkie:
    I am career firefighter in Massachusetts and let's just say my vision is worse than yours. I wear contacts and have taken 3 different NFPA physicals and as long I have worn the contacts I have never failed a vison test or had any problems with it. I suggest getting a copy of the NFPA 1582 medical standard for firefighters. This is what was used in my case for the physicals and as I said there was no problem. I have never had a problem wearing contact lenses in a fire with SCBA or during a brush fire.
    Yes, I have read the NFPA 1582 standard. The standard says that 20/40 corrected vision is acceptable. My vision in not correctable. Also my Attorney has reviewed the standard and has advised my that since it is only a standard. It is up to the jurisdiction if they wish to honor it. I do know of a few departments that do not follow NFPA 1582. But have had little luck trying to land a job with those departments.
    Thanks
    Tim

Tim Sinnott
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by CousinVinny354:
    I think it is messed up that you can volly with less than perfect vision but not get a paid job.

Are you like legally blind? Do your eyes make the grade with corrective lenses? Can they pass with corrective lenses or surgery.. If so.. Gotta spend the $ and do what it takes to get where you wanna be.

I guess that certain places have different standards than others. Balto Countys must be different than the city. Ever notice how some extremely overweight guys can drive in the vollies but not in a paid place?? Thats half of Long Island.

Good Luck in your fight..

Vinny
    Vinny, Thanks and yes I am legally blind with 20/200 uncorrectable vision in my right eye, I have retna damage. I have spent the money I hired a Lawyer $1,000.00 just to review my case and complie information. I also filed with the EEOC of Baltimore. They found the city to be in the wrong and set me a right to sue letter. The big problem here is the $48,000.00 I needed to file sute. There was a case just like mine that took place in Michigan. The Department of JUstice took the case and won. But thet would not take mine Go Figure!!!!!

Thread Information