Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    LoneLouie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Well, you guys are a pretty excitable bunch. Let me say this about Trevino; while he is not the second coming or anything, he is an excellent administrator who allows people to do their work without constant interference. He is a guys guy, and welcomes input from all levels. He has a great sense of humor and is very approachable. His ability to interface with the Mayor's office will bring great dividends in funding and improved equipment to your department.

I've known Mario over 20 years as a friend and collegue. You didn't just get an outsider, you got one of the most sought after Chiefs in the country. Ask Seattle, he just took his name off the short list; Dallas, he turned down the job; and of course Las Vegas --- who fought to keep him.

I know change is difficult; my 33 years in the fire service has had to endure, and so will you. But, when things sort out, you will be pleased. Give it some time. If your not happy, then you can start throwing stuff...

------------------

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

wow....

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Explorer Engine 6 So. Amboy Fire Dept & Cadet Morgan FAS
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"
    http://engine058.boltpages.com/southamboyfiredepartmentexplor erpost6/

truck12tillerman
    Firehouse.com Guest

For those of you not from the SFFD I suppose this can be difficult to comprehend how upsetting choosing an outside chief is for us. It is a slap in the face to the fire department as a whole. It is also, I suppose in some ways an admission that we need help, which after some soul-searching, we might. Everybody listening out there has no idea what this EMS/fire merger is doing to our morale. This just seems like kicking a fallen man. The divisions within our department are too numerous to list, starting with the number of unions (IAFF 798, SEIU for the medics, Black FF Association, Latino Firefighter Association, Women Firefighter Associations etc) none of which work together. I was just hoping for a more stabilizing influence to enter, or at least enter at a better time.

mongofire_99
    Firehouse.com Guest

It is a slap in the face to the fire department as a whole.

I agree to a certain extent, but I would laythe blame more on the department administration and training.

Why didn't they prepare one or more of you to step in and fill the shoes if the chief leaves for whatever reason? You certainly have folks in house that are capable if not more than capable.

Probably because some chief didn't want to be looking over his shoulder...

It is also, I suppose in some ways an admission that we need help, which after some soul-searching, we might.

Took a pair to say that. Kudos to you, I hope everything works out for the best.

aktormedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

sooooo....has anything happened yet there?
    Any protests? Just curious.

Phildabox
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I think it's time for LHS* to let us all know what Department he belongs to.....anyone agree?

sincityfyr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

I'm posting this as a service to my Brothers in SFFD. Beware of the wrapping of the gift your about to receive. Because that's all it is fancy package with nothing inside of any use to a fire firefighter. I'm member of the Las Vegas Fire Department and have the misfortune of dealing with him on several levels. Lets begin with Nate Marshals statements. He said that the Chief was not a publicity hound. This could not be further from the truth. He has taken every opportunity to push his mug into any lens or news story that will have him. Our PIO puts out more spin for the chief than a gyroscope.
    Mr Marshall also said that the Chief visited his guys in the field. In all the time he was here the Chief came to my station once.Which is twice as many times that he visited other stations. We use to have a Captains call. It started out as a once a month meeting for us to meet with the Chief. After the first meeting it was changed to every other month and you attended off duty. How bad do you think a chief must be if Captains would turn down overtime money to come in and meet with him. It became clear his purpose was on telling us how good he had made it and are concerns for training and safety were little more than bitching and whining.
    Mr Marshall's claim that he is not an administrator to is false. His game is to work the strings of his deputies. He has held up SOP's on safety, uniforms and discipline all the while saying to his Battalion chiefs its his deputies and he lets them make those calls. No one has done more to change the look of our department with out improving more than "HE". At the cost of hundreds of thousands he made a name change for the sake of making it his Dept. Yes we have new RED fire trucks. Do you know how clean a red FIRE TRUCK stays in the desert? How hot they get? After years of nice clean White and Red units that cleaned well and were cooler He wanted Red ones.
    Mr Marshall was right though. He is a hands on guy when it come to discipline of firefighters. He would make sure no matter the infraction that a pound of flesh would be the only cure. He tried to terminate guys on wearing ballcaps backwards on MDA boot drives or not wearing your dress shirt in the middle of a 110 degree day.
    As far as the statement that he will help by working with the local union....get real. He met with our Local and set forward in asking them to suspend some items till he could get settled. These were manpower and staffing issues that we let lay along with some unfilled promotion spots.He asked that we step up and support EMS transport and help retain our ISO rating buy doing more with less. We did all this and more and were rewarded with the fierces contract negotiations I have ever seen for this Local. His position is to take away as much as possible and give no quarter in return.
    I could continue but it would be more of the same. He is a false Chief willing to climb your backs to the next rung on that ladder to the head of FEMA. If any one doubts this then call any fire house in the city of Las Vegas and ask a real firefighter their opinion. And Mr Marshall a brown nose is never attractive.

[This message has been edited by sincityfyr (edited 05-14-2001).]

KEA
    Firehouse.com Guest

Phildabox: You have my vote

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

Answer:

Kingston FD.

ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Give us some info about your FD. Is that Kingston NV?
    We would love to hear about it.

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

After reading sincityfyrs post and talking to a fellow officer on the Vegas F.D. you people are going to have a real problem on your hands. This guy is not well thought of in Vegas. This guy is a real back biting individual who's only interested in his own self proclaimed advancement at all costs to the firefighters and officers he commanded.

He seems to fit into the same category as Nate Marshall, with the holier than thou, you don't know sh*t attitude. What I was told from the officer in Vegas is that he will step on and use anybody to make himself look good, then take total credit. Then turn around and blame any problems that arise on his subordinates ( while rolling marbles in his hand). Sounds like a real a jewel.

I wish the members of the SFFD the best and watch out for this guy. On the bright side, unlike my department, at least you don't have a cop running your department. My best to all of you.

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 05-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 05-13-2001).]

Ladderdude916
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Ok Guys, back to your corners...

You talk and talk about how the fire service is going down the tubes, and you are very correct, know why? Because of guys like you that cant quit squabbling amongst each other long enough to realize that we all do the same job. whether you work a fire a day or a fire a year....we are all firefighters, so get over it.

Good luck with the transition, and welcome to the way the fire service is today, it CHANGES

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by Ladderdude916:
    Ok Guys, back to your corners...

You talk and talk about how the fire service is going down the tubes, and you are very correct, know why? Because of guys like you that cant quit squabbling amongst each other long enough to realize that we all do the same job. whether you work a fire a day or a fire a year....we are all firefighters, so get over it.

Good luck with the transition, and welcome to the way the fire service is today, it CHANGES
    Squabbling has been a part of the fire service since its inception. Hell we're family and yes we sqabble but when it comes down to the brass tacks of fighting fires, saving lives and taking care of each other there is no better group. Take the squabbling with a grain of salt and carry on. Gee I didn't know change was a new phenomenon. I guess the fire service has never changed. No disrespect intended.

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 05-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 05-14-2001).]

NVFYR
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by sincityfyr:
    I'm posting this as a service to my Brothers in SFFD. Beware of the wrapping of the gift your about to receive. Because that's all it is fancy package with nothing inside of any use to a fire firefighter. I'm member of the Las Vegas Fire Department and have the misfortune of dealing with him on several levels. Lets begin with Nate Marshals statements. He said that the Chief was not a publicity hound. This could not be further from the truth. He has taken every opportunity to push his mug into any lens or news story that will have him. Our PIO puts out more spin for the chief than a gyroscope.
    Mr Marshall also said that the Chief visited his guys in the field. In all the time he was here the Chief came to my station once.Which is twice as many times that he visited other stations. We use to have a Captains call. It started out as a once a month meeting for us to meet with the Chief. After the first meeting it was changed to every other month and you attended off duty. How bad do you think a chief must be if Captains would turn down overtime money to come in and meet with him. It became clear his purpose was on telling us how good he had made it and are concerns for training and safety were little more than bitching and whining.
    Mr Marshall's claim that he is not an administrator to is false. His game is to work the strings of his deputies. He has held up SOP's on safety, uniforms and discipline all the while saying to his Battalion chiefs its his deputies and he lets them make those calls. No one has done more to change the look of our department with out improving more than "HE". At the cost of hundreds of thousands he made a name change for the sake of making it his Dept. Yes we have new RED fire trucks. Do you know how clean a red FIRE TRUCK stays in the desert? How hot they get? After years of nice clean White and Red units that cleaned well and were cooler He wanted Red ones.
    Mr Marshall was right though. He is a hands on guy when it come to discipline of firefighters. He would make sure no matter the infraction that a pound of flesh would be the only cure. He tried to terminate guys on wearing ballcaps backwards on MDA boot drives or not wearing your dress shirt in the middle of a 110 degree day.
    As far as the statement that he will help by working with the local union....get real. He met with our Local and set forward in asking them to suspend some items till he could get settled. These were manpower and staffing issues that we let lay along with some unfilled promotion spots.He asked that we step up and support EMS transport and help retain our ISO rating buy doing more with less. We did all this and more and were rewarded with the fierces contract negotiations I have ever seen for this Local. His position is to take away as much as possible and give no quarter in return.
    I could continue but it would be more of the same. He is a false Chief willing to climb your backs to the next rung on that ladder to the head of FEMA. If any one doubts this then call any fire house in the city of Las Vegas and ask a real firefighter their opinion. And Mr Marshall a brown nose is never attractive.

[This message has been edited by sincityfyr (edited 05-14-2001).]

Thread Information