Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    truck12tillerman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry GOD HELP THE SFFD NOW!!!!!!!

If you havent heard, the new chief of SAN FRAN is the current chief of LAS VEGAS(ISO class 1, blah blah blah)..
    The entire conversation about aggressive firefighting is now pointless for me, as I can see we will never be allowed to enter a burning building ever again, let alone still wear our wool pants and leather helmets. How many people are going to die as a result of letting the types of structures we face on a regular basis burn!! Have you ever tried to fight a fire in a 100 year old victorian building on a steep slope of about 35-40 degrees from the OUTSIDE! PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE!!!!

FTM-PTB now more than ever!!

[This message has been edited by truck12tillerman (edited 05-03-2001).]

Firediver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

What's with the hostility? Give the guy a chance. Have you ever worked with the guy? Or are you going by "I heard the new chief is going to do this or that"? I have spent a lot of time in SF, having grown up in Fresno, so I am familiar with the unique hazards the City has to offer, much different than flat Las Vegas. I am sure, if he is a good chief, that he will get input from those who have been working in the city before. He should anyway.

------------------
    Craig Walker

stay low....stay safe....BUT GET YOU SOME!!!!

mamaluke
    Firehouse.com Guest

Detroit, DC, San Fran, among others. What's going on? What is with this sickening trend? Great depts destroyed. Great firemens' morale stripped away. When will it stop? This is a disgrace. The fire service is turning into a joke. Pajamas in DC? I feel terrible for you guys and I am disgusted. I was unaware of the new chief, but if he's really that bad, this is a huge, huge loss for the fire service, the SFFD, and everything that is good within the SFFD (tradition, experience, saving lives/property etc). If he's really that bad, you are right, people will die. I want to vomit.

Tillerman, what were the circumstances leading up to this change in your dept?

truck12tillerman
    Firehouse.com Guest

One Person : Mayor "Slick" Willie Brown.
    I challange you to find a more corrupt politician on the face of the earth.
    see this article:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...0/MN165362.DTL

They should have kept the current acting chief and promoted him. He is a FIREMAN, and has a vested interest in our department, while acting as chief for 7-8 months he institued RIT teams and other life saving items, without taking away from the rich tradition and history of our department. He also had a good relationship with the union (798). We needed someone who understands the unique hazards and Fire/EMS relationship problems that we currently face in SF. There couldn't have been a worse time to make this transition. This chief, according to his OWN EX-Department is only in it for himself and the publicity!
    This is the FIRST Chief in SFFD HISTORY from outside the department.

FTM-PTB

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

Chief Travino had nothing to do with Las Vegas being a Class 1.

Victorians, he used to be a chief in Seattle, so no biggie there.

Las Vegas oldest rig is a year 2000 and most are 2001, that couldn't help your FD?

It was just a few years ago 60% of your fierst alarm assignment was injuried at a fiere because they didn't wear their gear according to the USFA report. Things aren't too good now are they? Look how many rigs you guys crash each month.

//while acting as chief for 7-8 months he institued RIT teams

Wow, not bad 5 years after the rest of the world.

//We needed someone who understands the unique hazards and Fire/EMS relationship
    problems that we currently face

Well, rthere is why you are getting an outside chief, you couldn't fix it in house. Gee just a few years ago you got out from under a consent decree. Geesh!

//This is the FIRST Chief in SFFD HISTORY from outside the department.

About time, eh????

Maybe one day other fire departments will be able o hook to yuor hydrants before you do an Oakland and burn the place down then change threads.

Hmmm, another progressive step 3 inch attack lines, that insures you'll always need lots of firefighters.

//I can see we will never be allowed to enter a burning building ever again,

Thanks for slapping your fellow union brothers in the face in Vegas So SF is the only real FD in the US?? Well at least you've got free sex change benefits being a city worker!

SFD-129-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

I must say, LHS*, you got my funny bone with the last comment!!

truck12tillerman
    Firehouse.com Guest

LHS*
    I was not insulting you or your department, and I apologize for the inference. I actually read quite a few things that stated your union wasn't too happy with his administration. I am just worried that the change will bring an end to what I believe is the best department I can work for. All in the name of a career building, political aspiring sycophant. But I guess time will tell.

FireLt1951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well tiller, at least you have someone with a background in firefighting. Here in Detroit they hired a cop to run the department. Go figure. I just hope he's not one of those fuzzy, feel good, politically correct individuals. Keep us posted so we know whats going on. Hopefully he won't take you the same route as DC.

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you precieve his increasing staffing 40% as a bad thing, then you are in real trouble.

truck12tillerman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Funny you say that. The city really did agree to start paying for city employee sex change operations!! Liberalism and political correctness is a part of california in general, and san francisco most of all. The fire department is a dinosaur in this city, with old fashioned views and ways of doing things, so a result, they F%%% with us as much as possible.
    Thanks for the support.

Nate Marshall
    Firehouse.com Guest

Chief Trevino is a great Chief, Ive had the opportunity to meet and work with him on several issues such as structure protection etc. He is oriented towards safety, fleet replacement and standardization (he's a bog pierce guy, very solid proponent of Pierce apparatus and hell find a way to acquire a standard fleet in no time as he did in Las Vegas and Seattle), increase of benefits for firefighters.

The best qualities that Chief Trevino has include the fact that he doesnt sit in his office and administrate, he visits the guys in the field and seeks input from them. He wont make drastic changes until he gets inputs from all levels.

He is not anything like Ronnie Few or some of the other Chiefs and he is not a publicity hound. He gives credit to the guys who do the job.

This is a guy who will do nothing but help your department. Next to Alan Brunacini,only Bob Brown (west metro) and Ray Barnes (Aurora) are comapared to Trevino.

A good pick by your city administration.

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey, our grand parents and parents stormed the beaches on D-Day...and some dies r were injured... to give SF city employees the right toave sex changes paid for by the taxpayers!

Supervisor Tom Ammiano wants insurance companies to pay for city employees' sex change operations.

Readers, as usual, are all wrong. The vast majority of such operations involve changing men into women. And if there's one issue we can all agree upon, it's the crying need for more women in government.

I'm confident the National Organization for Women along with feminists everywhere will applaud Mr. Ammiano's crusade to ensure their gender is more adequately represented in our City Hall.

For all too long the corridors of that bureaucratic institution have been dominated by cigar smoking, poker playing, whiskey drinking, hard- hearted males. Simple justice demands that more women take their rightful place around the water coolers, on the telephones and in the restrooms of that edifice.

Simple justice may not have widespread appeal these days among taxpayers. After all, they're being asked to lay out $10,000 to $30,000 in higher insurance premiums for each sex change operation. Their question, of course, is, "What's in it for me?''

The answer is that women bureaucrats are a darned sight easier to deal with than their male counterparts.

Let's say you call the Health Department's Animal Bite Reporting Service (554-2850) to report being bitten by an animal. What do you want? Sympathy. Most people who call City Hall want sympathy, either before or after they hang up the phone.

And who are more compassionate, men or women? In a major 1987 study of laboratory rats by Barnes and Frolich of Rutgers University, the researchers placed a feverish baby rat in a cage containing six female and six male adult rats. They found that five of the six female rats licked and cuddled the baby rat while the six male rats headed straight for the cheese and the sixth female rat.

From this, they were able to conclude that females of the species are 2.6 times more compassionate than males, which was something all of us knew already anyway.

Not only are women more compassionate but they attune more readily to the emotional needs of those in distress, which, of course, would include taxpayers. Should you ring up Potholes (695-2100) or the Sewer Odor Hotline (557-6833) -- which are among the more than 1,800 city government numbers listed in the phone book -- how lucky you are if a woman answers.

"A smell like what?'' she'll say, all concerned. Or, `"Your car disappeared at which intersection?'' And you'll feel in your bones that she really cares. On the other hand, no male bureaucrat in all recorded history has ever told a taxpayer, "Poor baby.''

So if you want to be licked and cuddled when you call up City Hall, support Supervisor Ammiano's brilliant plan to increase the number of women in city government without increasing the number of city employees one iota.

Indeed, there's no reason this bold policy couldn't be carried all the way to the top. And if our mayor will only olunteer for this surgical procedure, I can think of a dozen fired city employees who'd be glad to groom him for his new role.

(04-30) 20:48 PDT SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The Board of Supervisors voted Monday to pay for sex changes for city employees.

The measure would provide up to $50,000 in lifetime benefits to city workers who want to switch their gender. Approved 9-2, the measure awaits the signature of Mayor Willie Brown, who has said he supports it.

San Francisco apparently would be the nation's only governmental body to extend the benefit. The state of Minnesota offered such benefits, but the program was phased out in 1998. The issue was discussed in Oregon, but a commission decided against it in 1999.

An audience filled with transgenders and supporters wearing green-and-pink stickers that read ``Transgender Equality'' cheered Monday's vote.

``It is landmark legislation,'' said Supervisor Mark Leno, who has worked about two years in support of the measure. ``This is not like losing one's hair. It's not like displeasure with the size and shape of one's nose.''

``This is just one step against discrimination,'' added Theresa Sparks, a transgender commissioner at the city Human Rights Commission. ``And it's an important step.''

Supervisor Tony Hall voted no, arguing the city's benefits are meant to cover procedures that are medically necessary, and that he considers gender reconstruction surgery elective.

``All of us were born with problems,'' Hall said. ``Once again, the city and county of San Francisco is paying for something that is not necessary. I suspect there will be hidden costs that were not revealed in today's debate.''

Leno stressed the insurance would not cover cosmetic procedures, and that benefits would be paid only to patients who first underwent counseling and consulted a doctor before deciding on a sex change.

The city has 14 identified transgender employees among its 37,000 workers. The benefit, available starting July 1, would cover male-to-female surgery, which costs about $37,000, as well as female-to-male surgery, about $77,000.

Employees would have to work for the city at least a year before they would be eligible.

People wanting sex-change surgery would have to pay 15 percent out-of-pocket if they use a doctor in the city's health network. If an out-of-network doctor is used, the employee's cost rises to 50 percent.

The term transgender covers a range of categories including cross-dressers, transvestites, transsexuals and those born with characteristics of both sexes.

mamaluke
    Firehouse.com Guest

I hear you loud and clear, tillerman. You have my support. I hope things work out better than you are anticipating.

truck12tillerman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I am now REALLY REALLY afraid if Nate recommends him!!!!!!!!!
    This place is going to turn into another "safe" department. Just watch how much our annual fire losses are going to go up.
    BTW Nate, how do you know everybody and everything? You must be a hit around the firehouse.

Originally posted by Nate Marshall:
    Chief Trevino is a great Chief, Ive had the opportunity to meet and work with him on several issues such as structure protection etc. He is oriented towards safety, fleet replacement and standardization (he's a bog pierce guy, very solid proponent of Pierce apparatus and hell find a way to acquire a standard fleet in no time as he did in Las Vegas and Seattle), increase of benefits for firefighters.
    his is a guy who will do nothing but help your department. Next to Alan Brunacini,only
    Bob Brown (west metro) and Ray Barnes (Aurora) are comapared to Trevino.

A good pick by your city administration.

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S.F.'s new fire chief is first hired from outside
    Brown goes with commission's pick

Edward Epstein, Chronicle Staff Writer Thursday, May 3, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

San Francisco -- San Francisco got its first fire chief from outside the storied 135-year- old department's ranks yesterday.

Mario H. Trevino, Mayor Willie Brown's choice to head the department, has been chief of the 492-employee Las Vegas Fire Department since 1997. Before that, he was deputy chief in Seattle, where he first went to work as a firefighter while a 20-year-old student at Seattle University.

In appointing Trevino, who will succeed the department's first African American chief, Bob Demmons, Brown said, "He is the first outside chief, but he is as credentialed as any person who's ever headed the department."

Trevino, 48, was the first choice of the Fire Commission, which conducted a nationwide search after Demmons retired last summer. Demmons, named chief by Brown the day the mayor was sworn into office in January 1996, had played a key role earlier in his career in the federal lawsuit that forced the department to hire more minorities and women.

The other two finalists were San Diego Chief Robert Osby and San Francisco's interim chief, Paul Tabacco, who ranked third on the commission's list presented to Brown.

Tabacco will remain in place until Trevino takes office July 1, Brown said.

"The process was arduous," said Trevino, who worked his way up to deputy chief in Seattle before leaving for the Las Vegas chief's job five years ago. "I'm happy to be standing here. San Francisco is a premier city not just in the nation, but in the world."

Trevino, who Brown aides said would be paid about $165,000 a year, said he understood some would question choosing an outsider to head an 1,800-person department known for its insular ways.

"It's a serious responsibility when you get brought in," he said at a City Hall press conference. "There are always serious questions about an outsider."

John Hanley, president of the San Francisco Firefighters Union Local 798, said he didn't think Trevino's outsider status would make much difference to the rank and file, whose two-year contract with the city expires June 30.

Chief Demmons has retired. In what was called a “stealth retirement” by the San Francisco Examiner, the Chief notified the Fire Commission a day before his retirement, and left the Department without a new leader.
    In Demmons’ place we now have “Acting Chief” Paul Tabacco and nothing but speculation over who will become CD1 … The newspapers are kicking around different names, City Hall insiders are floating an entirely different set of names, and others say it will be someone from outside San Francisco. One thing is certain…only Mayor Brown knows at this point.

In other news, Commissioner Ted Soulis resigned after a rowdy Fire Commission meeting in which nearly 150 firefighters protested the derogatory comments he made to the Chronicle. After listening to just a few public comments, Soulis stormed out of the meeting and then requested that the Commission Secretary draft him a letter of resignation the next day.
    Soulis’ comments had inspired the Commission to propose a resolution condemning his “demeaning” comments to the Chronicle. His resignation then inspired the removal of his artwork from the halls of headquarters in what the Chronicle called “ a footnote to the episode.”

A special thanks to all those Union members who contributed to our “Special Edition Main Line”, spoke at the Commission meeting, attended the Commission meeting, wrote letters in to the local papers, or signed the letter of protest passed around by the ‘Uniformed Members of the SFFD’. It was nice to see how effective we can be as a Union when we work together.

And speaking of effective, let’s hope the next Chief is because there is a lot of work to do. The first task that needs to be addressed is the exact configuration of the Fire/EMS merger. We need a definitive plan that firefighters can follow for their career. As it stands right now, the current “draft” for the ALS engines shows the first ones being 19,40,44, and 48, followed by 16, 31, 33, and 17. What all of this is predicated on though is the possible hiring of an additional 75 laterals, when we have nearly 100 firefighters waiting to take paramedic training at the Presidio!

What’s even more galling is the fact that the next class for paramedic training isn’t scheduled until January of 2001, and the current class of trainees is nearly half civilian students. If there is such a pressing need for paramedics why can’t the department start a class in September, and fill it with just firefighters? I just can’t figure out why the department needs to reach outside for employees when its own firefighters are chomping at the bit for these jobs? And if these paramedic spots need to be filled so soon, why is the current class of paramedic trainees half filled with civilian students? Didn’t the EMS division foresee this paramedic shortfall, or is there a new operational plan implemented every other week?

This whole merger just gets worse and worse…harder on the firefighter and harder on the medics. I would like to see the EMS brass start working one watch a month with the medics at one of the busier companies…just one watch.

Just one watch…is that what our bilingual firefighters have left on their current rigs? According to some reports, only 7 out of 40 firefighters passed the Spanish exam and 7 out of 22 passed the Cantonese exam. Not exactly a stunning success rate for a two-year-old program! Now the bilingual employees are being told they have to vacate their spots without another opportunity to take the test, as they were promised, and without the Department reevaluating the test. Most of these firefighters were raised speaking the second language they were tested in…perhaps the test results were just a little bit skewed.

Watch for a mass exodus in the upcoming vacancy list away from engines and on to trucks…with the current EMS configuration in limbo, no one wants to be detailed out every day if they’re not a medic or bilingual or an EMT or a driver…or an Officer. Just how many people are on engines these days anyway? What is so troubling about these moves is that our most senior firefighters are going to leave the engines, just when they are needed the most as a slew of firefighters retire. I hope the next Chief will find someway to keep senior firefighters on engines.

So far, so good with the new administration…or rather, transition team. The wellness program checks were sent out without a hitch. Our last raise, while initially calculated incorrectly, was then immediately corrected on the next check. A far cry from last years six-month wait for a simple retro check!

What’s left to complain about? How about our fellow firefighters at radio who still are working without a contract, without any premium pay and now, are unable to work any overtime! Instead of allowing the “inductees” at radio the opportunity to work a WDO, they detail a firefighter in for the day and then backfill his/her position in the field…but they won’t allow the radio firefighters to work in the field! Just how much worse can they make that assignment? Maybe I shouldn’t ask…

Let’s see what happens with the next Chief.

Tom O'Connor, Director SFFD union 798

jizumper-5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Originally posted by truck12tillerman:
    BTW Nate, how do you know everybody and everything?
    Simply put...if you can't be good, be everywhere. Sorry for the cut down but I always have been looking for a time to use that.

------------------
    Keep Safe!

Staylow
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well Tillerman, we'll see what is going to happen. You and I both know he is going to close firehouses, and that's why the mayor had to get a person with no ties to the department. This is just the natural progression from a suppression based department to and EMS based department. It's too bad others on this post don't know Paul Tobacco, or that he would have been the best choice for the Chief's position. Thanks for the support mamaluke.

Tillerman, I see you had the opportunity to meet LHS. As you can see he is like a little fly. I'm sure he is about 5 feet 2 inches tall and weighs 130 lbs. wet. He most definitely suffers from small man's complex. He thinks he knows more than he really does. As you can see from his previous post his facts about our department are not correct. His opinions carry absolutely no respect from any other person on this post. His only goal is to put people down. You and I have fought more structure fires this year than he has in the last 5. As you can tell his knowledge comes from the book, not the field. But how can you blame him. He doesn't get the work we do in his little rural department. This assumes he is even a firefighter at all. I'm sure he's one of those "fire buffs" who sits around their house all day listening to a scanner in one hand and his pecker in the other.

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

Actually 6' 2" 210.

/As you can see from his previous post his facts about our department are not correct

Oh that's right taken right from your newspaper, web page, USFA, and commission minutes. Please be specific, if you can on what isn't correct!

Take the number of structure fire's in the city divide by the number of stations and shifts and we certainly are busier than you! Do you need the numbers???

Gee, Gill Moreno, Chief Phipps, Ray Landy SR and JR, Frank Blackburn, Gearld Gray, etc. Used to work with all of them, you didn't know I was a bay area chief.

Anything else you don't know about Staylow???? Worked side by side with you guys on wildland fires and in Oakland. So I know a bit about you. Gee, you just hired one of our volunteers.

Obviously, if your acting chief was so good he wouldn't have finished third in the commission's eyes or the Mayor's, now would he??????? If you'd take care of your own house you wouldn't have an outside chief. You come on these boards telling everyone you've got problems you could not solve in house, well guess what someone from Nevada is going to come fix them for you. Go figure DUH! Still hiding guys all over the place???

I know you guys are just victims, it is not yor fault, all the books written about you by your own members of the department and all that goes on is just make believe. NOT!

I know all about your driving skills too so does the public, Mayor and Commission:

Accidents
    Submitting reports and recommendations of the Accident Review Committee regarding the following accidents:

Cause: While responding with red lights and siren and travelling through an intersection
    with a green light, Medic 5 was struck by a civilian vehicle

Cause: Eng 1 was responding with red lights and siren and, while trying to avoid hitting a
    cab which made an illegal lane change, struck a parked vehicle

Cause: Misjudged clearance - While proceeding down a narrow street, Eng 6 scraped a
    double parked vehicle

Cause: While pulling out of quarters for morning checks, Eng 2 struck a legally parked
    vehicle across the street

Cause: Tiller operator deficiency - While backing into quarters, tiller wheels were turned
    the wrong way causing Trk 9 to strike the diesel pump

Cause: Misjudged clearance - While responding with red lights and siren, and making a
    left turn, Trk 1 struck a civilian vehicle

Cause: Misjudged clearance - While at the scene of an incident, Eng 13 attempted to
    maneuver around Eng 2, lightly striking Eng 2, which was parked

Cause: Possible mechanical defect in driveline assembly - Medic 36 rolled backwards after being placed in park with the parking brake engaged

Cause: Misjudged clearance - While repositioning at an incident, Medic 15 struck a parked civilian vehicle

Cause: Having been dispatched to an incorrect address, Eng 35 crossed over two lanes en route to a corrected address and struck a stationary civilian vehicle

Cause: Responding with red lights and siren, Medic 36 was struck by a motorcycle which
    failed to yield the right of way

Cause: Medic 29 was backing up because of a height bar at the parking lot entrance, and struck a civilian vehicle

Cause: Misjudged clearance - Eng 5, while repositioning, lightly struck a parked civilian vehicle

Cause: Misjudged clearance - While attempting to pass numerous illegally parked vehicles on both sides of a narrow street, Eng 31 lightly scraped the side of a vehicle

Cause: While making an unsafe lane change, Medic 9 struck a civilian vehicle
    Rescue 2 00-1-159 2/5/01 881 A File

Cause: Misjudged clearance - During a drill at Twin Peaks reservoir, Res 2 struck a concrete abutment

Cause: Misjudged clearance - While pulling van out of lane of traffic, driver scraped low pressure hydrant

Cause: Driver deficiency - While backing into quarters, Medic 18 struck medical supplies
    locker; spotter was posted but driver did not react quickly enough to warning

Cause: Driver deficiency - While maneuvering around a double parked truck, Toy unit
    struck another vehicle travelling in the opposite direction which was also avoiding
    the double parked vehicle

Cause: While travelling through an intersection against a red light, ResAmb 13 was struck
    by a civilian vehicle; ResAmb 13 did not obtain control of the intersection

Cause: Tiller error - While making a right turn, tiller of Trk 9 oversteered and struck civilian
    vehicle in opposing lane

Cause: Eng 1, while pulling away from an incident, struck a parked vehicle which was in
    Eng 1's blind spot

Cause: Driver deficiency - While attempting to pull forward on a hill, Trk 10 rolled back and
    scraped a parked civilian vehicle

Cause: Misjudged clearance - Eng 15, while responding to a medical dispatch, lightly
    struck a parked civilian vehicle

Cause: Misjudged clearance - Eng 35, while responding to an incident and attempting to
    make a right turn, struck a traffic signal located on a median

Cause: Misjudged clearance - While backing into quarters and repositioning, Eng 2
    scraped protective stanchion

Cause: Failure to heed right of way - While responding to an incident with red lights and
    siren, Eng 42 was struck by a civilian vehicle which failed to heed right of way

Cause: Failure to heed right of way - While responding to an incident with red lights and
    siren, Eng 7 was struck in the middle of an intersection by a civilian vehicle which
    failed to heed right of way

Cause: Failure to heed right of way - Trk 10 was responding to an incident with red lights
    and siren and, while making a right turn, was struck by a civilian vehicle trying to
    pass Trk 10

Cause: Misjudged clearance - While making a right turn, Eng 32 grazed a parked civilian
    Vehicle

Cause: Battalion 10, while responding to an incident and attempting to maneuver through
    traffic, lightly scraped a parked vehicle

Cause: Trk 15, attempting to avoid a rear end collision, lightly struck a parked civilian
    vehicle

Cause: Trk 10, while backing into quarters, struck building with open compartment door;
    guides were posted

Cause: Misjudged clearance - Eng 41, while making a tight turn, lightly struck rear bumper of Muni bus

Cause: While responding, ResAmb 32 was struck on the right rear bumper by civilian
    vehicle making an illegal left turn across double yellow line

Cause: Misjudged clearance - Medic 9, while backing into bay at Kaiser Hospital, struck
    AMR Unit

Cause: Eng 36, while moving with the flow of traffic and remaining in its own lane, was
    lightly struck by a civilian vehicle

Cause: Misjudged clearance - Medic 5, while proceeding to UC Hospital, lightly struck the mirror of a Muni bus

Cause: Medic 8, while stopped at a red light, was struck by a civilian vehicle attempting to back into a parking space

Cause: Medic 8, while returning to quarters, was struck in the right rear bumper when the
    civilian vehicle attempted a left turn from the right hand lane
    Cause: Misjudged clearance (tiller) - While exiting station and attempting to avoid a double parked taxi, tiller operator struck the side of the firehouse

Cause: Misjudged clearance - Medic 5, responding with red lights and siren and while
    attempting to gain right of way, struck a civilian vehicle

Cause: Batt 6, while leaving the scene of an incident, was rear ended by a civilian vehicle which was struck by a hit and run driver

Cause: Eng 1 was struck by a civilian vehicle which had drifted out of its lane

Cause: Batt 5, while stopped at a red light, was rear ended by a civilian vehicle

Cause: Misjudged clearance - Medic 18, while turning left into Division of Training, struck
    the gate post

Cause: Misjudged clearance - Attempting to avoid a cement mixer in a narrow street, Eng 20 scraped a parked vehicle

Cause: Misjudged clearance (tiller) - In an attempt to avoid another vehicle, tiller operator oversteered and the apparatus hit a parked dumpster

Cause: Misjudged clearance - While responding with red lights and siren, Medic 36
    scraped its rear view mirror against a protruding chain link fence

Cause: Misjudged clearance - Trk 19, while backing into quarters, struck the pillar outside the station door; spotters were posted

Cause: Batt 1, while parked in front of Station 13, was struck by a hit and run vehicle

Cause: Misjudged clearance - Eng 17, while maneuvering around, struck a double parked civilian vehicle

Cause: Misjudged clearance - While returning from Central Shops and backing into
    station, Trk 3 struck side of station

Cause: Misjudged clearance - Eng 13, while responding to a medical call and maneuvering through heavy traffic, scraped a civilian vehicle which attempted to provide right of way

Cause: Trk 6, responding with red lights and siren, was struck by a civilian vehicle
    travelling through a red light

Cause: Misjudged clearance - While returning from an incident, Eng 1 lightly struck a
    civilian vehicle stopped at the intersection

Cause: BFP vehicle was struck by another vehicle while parked and unattended

Cause: Misjudged clearance - While backing out of a parking space, EMS van struck an
    abutment post

Cause: Driver inattention - EMS RC 1 backed into closing apparatus door that had been
    activated by a remote door closure

[This message has been edited by LHS* (edited 05-04-2001).]

johnusn971
    Firehouse.com Guest

Larry once again, provides unrefutable proof why I am literally ashamed to say he is even remotely connected with the Fire Service in general.

Doc DC3.

Nate Marshall
    Firehouse.com Guest

chief Trevino's accomplishments in Las Vegas.

In 4 years he oversaw a $550 million dollar bond issue that will see 117 firefighter positions added,firefighter salaries have risen an average of 12% under his watch, 5 new stations are scheduled to be built in the next year, the oldest truck is a 2000, he has delivered a standardized fleet to the city of all Pierces hes a big pierce guy.

There has not been a significantly serious firefighter injury under his watch. he chairs 3 safety committes for NFPA and IAFC.

The guys in Vegas love him, hes a firefighters chief.

MB1213635
    Firehouse.com Guest

LHS,

Posting that entire accident report was a little uncalled for. No need to put all the guys names up there. Sh*t happens. Accidents are pretty much unavoidable in a large department that operates in an urban area with tight streets and lots of congestion.

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

BTW Nate, how do you know everybody and everything? You must be a hit around the firehouse.
    Simply put...if you can't be good, be everywhere. Sorry for the cut down but I always have been looking for a time to use that.
    Well when you are always on your knees.....
    I've been waiting to use that one!

------------------
    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

[This message has been edited by ENGINE18-3 (edited 05-04-2001).]

Staylow
    Firehouse.com Guest

/Actually 6' 2" 210.

Yeah, right! Maybe standing on a chair with a large box of your fire science books in your hands.

/Oh that's right taken right from your newspaper, web page, USFA, and commission minutes. Please be specific, if you can on what isn't correct!

You mean to tell me that you DON’T KNOW EVERYTHING? Do the research yourself.

/Take the number of structure fire's in the city divide by the number of stations and shifts and we certainly are busier than you! Do you need the numbers???

Gee!, I don’t remember Mayberry being on the Firehouse run survey.

/Gee, Gill Moreno, Chief Phipps, Ray Landy SR and JR, Frank Blackburn, Gearld Gray, etc. Used to work with all of them, you didn't know I was a bay area chief.

You compare yourself to these guys? They have more time on the poles than you have being a firefighter.

/Anything else you don't know about Staylow???? Worked side by side with you guys on wildland fires and in Oakland. So I know a bit about you.

I will agree with this. You only know a bit.

/Gee, you just hired one of our volunteers.

I can’t believe he would leave Mayberry with all the runs you say you have. How could he leave such a place with a perfect firefighter such as you?

/Obviously, if your acting chief was so good he wouldn't have finished third in the commission's eyes or the Mayor's, now would he???????

So now you support Willy Brown and those he appointed to the commission? Gee, I’m sure it was a fair and impartial process. DUH!!!!!!

/I know you guys are just victims, it is not yor fault, all the books written about you by your own members of the department and all that goes on is just make believe. NOT!

And you read the books? You are hopeless.

/I know all about your driving skills too so does the public, Mayor and Commission:

I’m glad to see you took time away from your scanner to check up on our driving record.
    I’m sure every fireman on this website will say; Look, LHS was right about their driving record. I guess all of his opinions are right then.
    You have to get calls to get into wrecks in the first place. Gee, why doesn’t Mayberry get into any accidents?

truck12tillerman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

LHS* if you worked for any departments in the bay area it must have been somewhere pitiful like piedmont or another pennisula department. Because you would have been knocked on your rear end if you would have been on with either SFFD or Oakland the "big boy" departments. OR maybe that is what happened, and thats why you retreated to 99.9% spinklered Lav Vegas where the most fire you'll see is a mobile home or a car fire!! Plus, according to your own supplied link, you are a volunteer whose department runs less that 400 calls a year, so explain that and your "we're busier" comment. You have NO idea what the politics are like in the big city, let alone san francisco. Paul Tabacco was the acting chief for 7 months and in that time was able to work with the firemen, and become more respected by them than any chief in recent history!!! The REAL reason he want picked, was because of a few reasons, one, as staylow said, the new chief has to do the dirty work; two chief tabacco is WHITE, three, the king, i mean mayor has to have a person that will do his every bidding and who he can give the kickback money to when he closes our firehouses. Until you have been there, or have something constuctive to say, keep your darn nose out of the discussion. This is our JOB we're talking about, not a abstact "idea" that you think you might know something about. Get a life. Paul, if you are reading this, hang in there, don't let slick willie drive you out. You can still do good for us line guys as Assistant Chief.
    FTM-PTB, and Nate and LHS*, you are both definatly mutts.

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

“Little rural department”

“little huh? Last time I checked, Our response area was 107 times larger than yours, LOL. Dang, we even have a better ISO rating. We don’t use wood ladders or non-standard couplings sizes. We don’t use bronze spanners and certainly not bronze couplings on firehouse, LOL like you do. We don’t use 3 inch hose for handlines with little bitty nozzles on them. We don’t have an engine every single square mile of our city like you do (gee I wonder why they are going to close stations?), you only have 2/3rd’s more ambulances than we do (golly think that is why they are expanding your EMS? Your ratio of population to ambulances is 1 to 83,000 our “small rural” town has a 1 to 5600 ratio…Gee, 14 times better! With 70% of your calls EMS and only 18 of 96 units assigned to that mission…Gee you sure make it easy for the next guy to be a hero. NO WONDER THEY ARE BRINGING IN AN OUTSIDE CHIEF, lol ). We don’t wear non-NFPA compliant wool dress pants to fight fire in either. Our firefighters don’t talk about other peoples “peckers” on line, must be a habit huh?

“,The Chief of Department directs, plans and organizes the activities and the operations of the Department..” Sounds like a management position but NO you want a firefighter. I guess city hall doesn’t see it that way or your Fire Commission. Next time you storm a Commission meeting you might want to ask what ramifications it will have on the next chief, LOL. Looks like you won the battle but lost the WAR!

“Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the Department's organizational structure and service levels.”

Maybe a bit more EMS?

//"fire buffs"

Sounds to me you’re running a club, I guess the Commission and Mayor agree…”Stealth Retirement” and now and outside chief.

Hmmm, last time I checked we still promote within, at least you can say when you retire and tomorrow around the kitchen table that you were the generation that after 135 years of in house only chiefs wasn’t good enough to promote! Nice legacy!

Nice job staylow, you couldn’t support a single claim you made, typical for

Truck12tillerman

// if you worked for any departments in the bay area it must have been somewhere pitiful like piedmont or another pennisula department.

“I was not insulting you or your department, and I apologize for the inference. “ Didn’t take you long to attack another department did it?
    Talk about short man’s complex every department but yours sucks eh? Yeah, you’re a real pro. No didn’t work for them.

// Because you would have been knocked on your rear end.

Why don’t you and staylow stop all the gay talk about rear ends and peckers most of the people on this forum aren’t into the Sodom and Gomorrah stuff you guys like.

//the "big boy" departments.

Every other department in the bay area puts their fires out and comes to the big boys aid when you can’t handle your own fires like Wednesday night, dang only burned 15 houses down in one fire.

//Peninsula departments

Gee, every department without exception ins bad, you’re the only real firefighter. You are on this board whining and you want your fellow firefighters to support you after comments like that? Well you know what your fire comission said about the firefighters of SF don’t you? Here is what he said, “firefighting required minimal intelligence and “was not rocket science“ Comments like the two of you have made supports what he said to a T.

/”big Boys”

Even the big boys invited 35 other departments before they called you to drive the 8 minutes to Oakland. Just like Wednesday night. What does Oakland know you aren’t telling us???? In just 40 minutes you were there a whopping 1 hour 20 minutes after MA was called.. Very fast!

“ICS procedures suffered somewhat because the Department doesn't sufficiently practice for large-scale disasters,” Gee I wonder who’s job it is to practice? The fire departments?

//Volunteers

What is your problem with volunteers? They baled your FD out numerous times here is one: “Use of volunteers: Citizen-volunteers were instrumental in laying more than one-half mile of five-inch hose from the 100 block of Alvarado Rd. to the firefront. In some cases, a line of citizen- volunteers passed 100-foot bundles of five-inch hose hand-to-hand along Eucalyptus Path and they also wrestled three- and five-inch leads up steep hills to the firefront. Still others courageously fought the conflagration alongside firefighters. Their efforts in suppression were invaluable“

Here is another: “The deployment of citizen-volunteers in this conflagration reaffirmed a lesson learned by the Department in the Marina District Fire. Organized groups of citizen-volunteers, when operating under the direction of experienced company officers, can make a significant contribution to fire suppression efforts under extreme conditions such as earthquakes and conflagrations. “ Oh they were written by the FD.

// OR maybe that is what happened, and thats why you retreated to 99.9% spinklered Lav Vegas where the most fire you'll see is a mobile home or a car fire!!

Oh I forgot, real pros don’t sprinkle because it takes away from destroying property. I guess that explains the 17 times higher civilian injury rate when you cross the state line with all those paid departments, huh? You don’t need to blame the new guy you did those numbers in house. Let’s watch those and see what happens.

//Plus, according to your own supplied link, you are a volunteer whose department runs less that 400 calls a year, so explain that and your "we're busier" comment.

So your shift runs 400 fire calls a year at just your station? If you do, then your FD runs 58,000structure fires a year? Gee, you’re busier than New York and Philly and Houston, yeah I’m so sure! Oh that means you are running 411,000 EMS calls a year too? Golly you are busy. Each ambulance on has 62 calls a day, one every 23 minutes, wow, treat load drop off and off again. Sorry, sport…you are slower per station and certainly per shift.

SO don’t talk about all the calls you don’t make, talk about what you shift does, your station only…stop the WE stuff because you are’t making all the calls and you aren’t that busy.

//You have NO idea what the politics are like in the big city, let alone san francisco.

Yeah right, I’ve sat in Emmit Condon’s office many a day as well as Phipps. Of course You are a little fir department. I’ve worked with much larger departments who didn’t need the little man mentality you have. Who didn’t have to put down all their neighboring departments. Yeah it is the Mayor’s fault, it took the union what 10 minutes to launch a Commissioner? Where is your power???

//Paul Tabacco was the acting chief for 7 months and in that time was able to work with the firemen, and become more respected by them than any chief in recent history!!!

I guess that really says a lot about your past chiefs and the sorry situation you’ve gotten yourself in. I bet the chiefs are saying the same things about the firefighters and Union right now.

//The REAL reason he want picked, was because of a few reasons, one, as staylow said, the new chief has to do the dirty work

Because you guys won’t manage your own house properly isn’t one of them????

/// who he can give the kickback money to when he closes our firehouses.

//two chief tabacco is WHITE,

Oh now he plays the racist card, this is the FD who was under federal court order for running a boys club, placing swastikas in others lockers etc??? How many of the last dozen chiefs were non-white? How many were white. You’ve played every internal card in the deck and couldn’t get the job done or the ship righted. Oh well, someone else will.

What is wrong with that? Your union supported Gore you should be used to that nationally for the last 8 years.

//Until you have been there,

Sorry been there.

//or have something constuctive to say,

I do, you obviously don’t have the talent to do the job yourself so they looked outside. LOL, LOL, LOL

//keep your darn nose out of the discussion.

No, you guys are to funny to let go.

// This is our JOB we're talking about, not a abstact "idea" that you think you might know something about.

Come on Tiller there are 38,000 other fire departments you can name by name and slam and tell us how they aren’t real firefighters, gosh you’ve got another 96 in the Bay Area to attack too!

Funny thing you guys are all crying the blues but your Union President is singging another story. Maybe you can kill this out of town’er off and get back to the chief a year mode you’ve practiced so successfully.

//The best?

Here are your recent press clippings:

“where money was taken from safety gear allocations to cover spiraling overtime costs. “

“The administration of Chief Tobacco has wrongfully inherited the budgetary mistakes of the previous leadership, leaving him with few options. “

“it was not uncommon to arrive at a full box to see the uniforms and personal protection equipment of fellow firefighters threadbare. It became abundantly clear by the inane budget of the former administration, that the safety of the rank & file was not a priority. “

“In 2001, the SFFD has been given the opportunity to rebuild the budget from the bottom up…from every “probies” salary on up to the paper clips on the Chief’s desk. With a full and fair review, the department can very easily analyze its current, and future, spending needs. ‘

“There are no excuses this year; the SFFD can lay down a solid financial foundation for years to come if, and only if, the budget is done correctly.”

“• TRAINING – To aid us in returning to a sorely lacking level of proficiency in suppression, “

“We are an institution seeped in tradition and fundamentals. “

“Honesty from management. What an unusual approach.”

Those are the Union Directors words this year.

So what happened just 5 months into the new year?? SO I guess it didn’t work? A guy from out of town can fix it. How can anyone read these words and not see the place as borken?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information