Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Firefighter194
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Rescue Engines/Pumpers

How many departments out there are currently running some sort of rescue engine/pumper? If you are, how well equiped is the unit to handle rescue situations, and do you have a heavy rescue squad assigned to run on your rescue calls in case more and specialized equipment is needed?

------------------
    Never pet a burning dog!

medtranz
    Firehouse.com Guest

We currently run our rescue calls in our class A pumper.We have several large compartments which we store all of our equipment in.I like the idea of using our pumper.But the city dept here answers rescue/extrication calls with a 95 foot ladder truck.Which I think is over kill and a waste of a good truck.

------------------
    It is more to it than putting the wet stuff on the red stuff.

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

We run a rescue engine, it has a 1000 gal tank and a 1250 gpm pump, along with all of out hurst tools and extrication equipment. It also has a 12000 lb winch on it.
    We havent had the need to call for assistance yet, but I wont say that we never will. Seems to be able to handle the majority of the situations we encounter.

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

cfr3504
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department has a seperate medium duty rescue. But the department where I started at, which is about 30 miles away, carries some rescue equipment on the 1st out pumper, which they use as their rescue. They carry a Hurst Combi tool, a Sawzall, cribbing, some air and hand tools. Also it is a BLS non-transport equipped vehicle. It was ALS, before they started transporting. If more specialized equipment is needed they rely on mutual aid from the neighboring rescue spuad.

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My Department Runs a 1993 Pierce Engine/Rescue as the Company's Rescue -- The Unit also Functions as a Front Line Engine to most other assignments --- We carry Standard Rescue Equipment such as Jaws, Spreaders, O-Cutters, Rams, Air-Bags, Ect...We also have an Extensive amount of Cribbing on this Unit. 90% Of our "Vehicle Rescues" are simple Door Pops so we have never had a need for more If an Extensive Vehicle Rescue or Specialized Type Rescue { Ie: Trench Rescue or Cave In } was to occur we call in Mutial Aid Companies as the situation dictates

------------------
    STRATFORD FIRE CO. # 1 NEW JERSEY STATE FIREMEN'S CONVENTION OVER-ALL CHAMPIONS 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, and 2000 !!

st34ff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

We run a rescue pumper, a Pierce. It works great for us. We don't get many calls for the techincal rescue, and if we did, we would call for help. We have the hurst tools on it, air bags, the radiological equipment, some hazmat stuff and the two buckets of kitty little. The truck can do most anything needed.

Take a look at it www.chalfontfireco.com

Kyle

LtStick
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Department I run with uses a 1973 Mack CF Pumper as our rescue. It gives a second engine and a rescue in one piece. It is set up very well for that purpose. We are among several other Co's who are operating engine rescues. One has been doing it for at least twenty years. There are several dedicated heavey rescues if we need them that are equiped very well. This concept works very well for us. If our other engine doesn't get out we still have an engine at the scene.

BFD847
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have Rescue pumpers.
    These are also our first line structure trucks. We are a small full time department running 7 people per shift.
    We have a decent supply of epuipment
    Amkus rescue tools
    spreader
    spreader combo
    cutters
    ram

Dewalt 24v
    saws all
    drill
    circular saw

cribbing

come along

porta powers

airbags
    air chisel

2- ice rescue suits

limited water rescue equip

Basic high angle rescue equip
    We can get a good start on just about anything. If we do not have all we need we rely on mutual aide. Kansas City is just to the north with several good recources.

smokeyben1
    Firehouse.com Guest

G'day from down under, my station has just taken over rescue from a volunteer organisation that had lost the plot. We have a combined brigade of career firies (day 6am to 6pm) and Retained (24 hr). Our primary rescue vehicle is the 1st response pump which carries spreaders, shears,rams, sawzall, air tools, 20t airbags, cribbing and other gear. Our 2nd call pump also carries what we call a RIK, rapid intervention kit comprising a combi tool, a ram, a door popper, cribbing, air tools and other gear. The heaviest piece we carry is a 25t ram so if we needed heavy rescue we have to call for back-up. Stay Safe.

bhp6115
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I currently work for two departments that utilize rescue engines. The full time department I am with has two. Out of our sta.1 we have a 2001 Pierce Dash. It is primarily set up for light rescue with a Hurst Combi-tool,Sawzall, and air-bags. Out of our station 2 we run a 1988 Pierce set wp for heavy Extrication. We have a full set of heavy duty Hurst tools,150 ft. hyd.reel,assortment of cribbing and other small tools for extrication. If our Sta.1 engine pulls up on a major extrication they can start until a heavy rig comes in. The part time Dept. I work for has a 1999 HME/Luverne which we have stacked full of extrication gear. We have a full set f heavy-duty Hurst gear, Assortment of cribbing, High lift jacks, K-1200 with a metal blade, Air chisle,And an assortment of hand tools. Both departments have had great success with the rescue engine concept. The trick is find out all you could possibly need for your primary responce area and spec out a rig that will be able to carry all the equiptment you need to handle your needs. Be safe out there.

bhp6115
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Both Departments carry the basic needs for other technical rescue situations. If we do need more help we have District and county teams to provide support.

tillerman14
    Firehouse.com Guest

We used a Rescue Pumper as a reserve Rescue Squad up until last spring. We did not like it due to the fact we could not carry a full compliment of equipment, plus the fact we had to carry water, hose, and a pump. Which you all know takes up space and adds more WEIGHT. We found we could not effectively perform rescue operations due to the lack of compartment space to carry our full compliment of tools.

Truckie5553
    Firehouse.com Guest

At my department we carry 3 sets of rescue tools. On the Squrt we carry a set of Holmatro cutters and spreaders along with cribbing and the chains for the dash rolls. On our truck company we carry 2 generators, along with cutters, spreaders, and 2 sets of rams. also we have a large amount of cribbing, high lift jacks, and our stabblizers for any type of rescue we could encounter in our district.

------------------
    Captain James Collier
    McMahan Fire Rescue
    KCTCS Area 6 Instructor

firebeach406
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my department (combination) we run two career pumpers with extrication (spreader, cutter and ram or combo tool and ram, both carry sawzall). Both trucks (one is 1997 Pierce, other is 2000 E-one) are ALS First response, so we can rescue and treat. If more equip needed, mutual aid is called.

FF 13 50
    Firehouse.com Guest

LtStick, we just sent our 73' Mack away forever to the south ( feel my pain? Anyways we sold it cause were in the process of buying a new rescue pumper that can take the Macks place as 2nd Engine and our Rescue we currently have. It works good for us cause our rescue is well equiped for, vehicle accidents, rope rescue, haz mat and many other resources. Our Mutual Aide Company is a certified Heavy rescue. Were close to them and work extremly welll with them. fir wrecks on our highway, both rescues respond in and the first engine to call in service. When we get our rescue pumper it will eliminate the need for the engine to get stuck on scene cause youll have the rescue pumper allready there.

Thread Information