Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superstitions?

firefighter15_wv
    Firehouse.com Guest

Putting your suspenders around your boots is a superstition? I do this because I am used to them being there, and whenever I forget to put them there, and I pull my gear out of the rack, I end up standing on them while I'm trying to pull my pants up.

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Yea..I guess now that I think of it I have some superstitions too..like mentioned beore..I dont say goodbye I just go..I'll be back in a little while...also I put my helmet on right after the bunker pants go on..jacket is hte last thing to go on..I dunno why....I just do..its been a habit of mine for hte past 2 months since I've started...also I have the St Florian Chain & Medal hanging around my neck that rarely comes off. I also have a sticker given to me by my now deceased Uncle who was a firefighter back when I was little...I found it in my room and stuck it inside my helmet Brings me good luck I think...

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Explorer Engine 6 So. Amboy Fire Dept & Cadet Morgan FAS
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"
    http://engine058.boltpages.com/southamboyfiredepartmentexplor erpost6/

jedge168
    Firehouse.com Guest

Like many, I never really thought of it as supersition but, I always pull the back of my gear pants over my boots (I always thought so that trash and stuff doesn't get into the boots for me to step on when i put them on) with the suspenders hanging over the front. Gloves go in the respective pant cargo pockets, hood is tuck in my neck flap and I NEVER clean my helmet except the first time I get it.

firefighter26
    Firehouse.com Guest

Like everyone else, I make sure all of my gear is in the right spot. Most of the time I can tell if something is missing by just puttin my coat on. My gloves each have a spot, together in my bunker pants: FF on the right, work gloves on the left. FR gloves inside the coat. My flashlight, camera, pen, pen-light, scissors, seat belt cutter, and centre punch all have their own spots as well. Maybe more so that I can find them then superstition.

The "unique" one that I have is that I always make sure I grab radio #3 off of the radio shelf. I don't know why, but I always take that one.

pahoseboy
    Firehouse.com Guest

When I leave the house tell everybody I love them and I'll be back soon.

Ford45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I always keep my gear in the same order. I think a lot of us do that b/c we can see that as the only "certain" thing in our line of work, but just a thought. I also have a pic of me and my parents and bro in my metro, and a prom pic in the leather. just reminds me of the people that care for me and to be careful for them. Lata!

------------------
    Matt
    Newtown Fire Association
    Station 45

[This message has been edited by Ford45 (edited 05-20-2001).]

Ford45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

[This message has been edited by Ford45 (edited 05-20-2001).]

alaskafireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Being a Irish Catholic Fire Captain, I have a St. lorian necklace that doesnt come off, which was also blessed, and I say a prayer while enroute to the station. I also say to friends and family when call comes "See ya or later" My wife usually also responds with me when she isnt dispatching me to the call. But I always tell her I love her, and she knows I am thinking that when she is at Dispatch.

I also ride in the same seat and take my fave tool, the halligan

stay safe everyone

Sean Corrigan
    Fire Captain
    Seward Fire Dept
    Seward, AK

alaskafireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Being a Irish Catholic Fire Captain, I have a St. Florian necklace that doesn't come off, which was also blessed, and I say a prayer while enroute to the station. I also say to friends and family when call comes "See ya or later" My wife usually also responds with me when she isnt dispatching me to the call. But I always tell her I love her, and she knows I am thinking that when she is at Dispatch.

I also ride in the same seat and take my fave tool, the halligan

stay safe everyone

Sean Corrigan
    Fire Captain
    Seward Fire Dept
    Seward, AK

bgfdchick
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ok - this is wierd...

Since my boyfriend is a fan of "The Man Show"... for some reason I sometimes get that stupid Juggy Chant they cheer at the end of each show in my head sometimes. And its something the guys can get into with me en route ;-)

On a more serious note:
    -my st. florian...Christianity is not the faith I practice, but one of my best friends who's a firefighter in my homestate gave it to me. It kind of guides me.

-I keep a pic of my mom and I in my helmet

-I tell my boyfriend "later gator" - never goodbye...and he tells "don't come back stinky"

Good forum subject...lots of neat and unusual practices. Be safe!

------------------
    Whoever said "the last man standing - wins" never asked a chick to play

canman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I too wear a St. Florian medal and have my gear arranged a certain way making sure the bottom of my bunker pants are out from under my boots. I also make sure I put the gloves back in the side pockets of my pants and hood in helmet.

eCappy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Here's our family superstition, it's been going on for five generations:

My Dad always carried three collar pins in the inside pocket of his turnout coat. One belonged to his Father, one to his Grandfather, and one to his Greatgrandfather.

I have carried four collar pins; one from my Dad, one from my Grandfather, one from my Greatgrandfather, and one from my Greatgreatgrandfather.

My son carries five collar pins. One of mine, one from my Dad, and so on.

hctrouble25
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't know if I would call it supersitious or not, but my bunker boots and pants always have to be facing to the south away from the door of the building, and away from the truck I am usually on. Weird I know but I just have to have them that way. The other thing is that I always take a long deep breath after I sit down on the truck and before I do anything else, including pack up. I also always think of those with me and how we are all coming home to our families at the end of the day.

whatchadoin44
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

i carry over a hockey superstision, i always put my gear on in the same order, never different, and it seems to have worked so far!!.

god be with you all!!

trumpeter75
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think it's been said, but I never ever ever clean my helmet. I clean my coat and bunkers, but the superstition around my station is to not ever clean your helmet. BAAAD ju-ju. . .

jeg532
    Firehouse.com Guest

first off, i never ever wash my lid,my chin strap is always over my bourkes, i have my old unit # of 532 from back home in ohio,i`m not sure why i just got used to it, i always put my suspenders over my boots and my hood on the velcro on my collar.i also put my last name on like everything `cause i`m a 4th generation firefighter with 3 uncles and 2 cousins still active in ohio so i`m kind of proud to be a part of the family tradition.

SCNOZZLEMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

The main thing that I believe in is that I NEVER put 13 gallons of fuel in the engines or any other trucks when fueling them. may sound weird but thats a big NO NO with me....The other is that I have NEVER cleaned my helment and NEVER will.........

Thread Information