Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superstitions?

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Superstitions?

I don't know if this has been on here before, but do you guys have any superstitions?
    Like for an example when I respond for a run I never say "goodbye" I always say "I'll see you later" or something like that. Another one I have is that when I get out of my gear I always put my hood under my lid and the face shield is always as high as it can go.
    So if anyone else is as neurotic as I am let's hear 'em!

------------------
    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

JR95
    Firehouse.com Guest

After a run I always put my suspenders over my boots and rest my helmet a certain way on the shelf.

NFDLT55
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Engine-18-3 same thing here--
    Never ever say goodbye always catch ya later, see ya 'round see ya in a few see ya later. Never goodbye.
    Hood always goes to the inside pocket of my coat, each glove goes into a boot, visor never down except when required and the chin strap never ever ever dangles free, it is either around my chin or wrapped around the back of the helmet. Might sound odd, but I just got into the habbit of doing the above things.

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was always told never to wear someone else's helmet... it brings bad luck. Something that was passed on to me as a rookie... it just always stuck in my mind.

newasstchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

My first call ever was an MVA. We were cleaning up and washing down. I found a "lucky" dime on the side of the road. I stopped to pick it up just as a car drove right in front of me, way too close. Could have been a real short career. I drilled a hole in the dime and carry it on the key-ring with my station key.

I also have a picture of my wife and son in my lid.

cyberbleve
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

When I was working as a volunteer, the career crew would never let me cook spagetti when it was my turn to cook. Every time I did we got toned out in the middle of the meal.

postal79
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

going to a call i always put my gear on in the exact same order and way, then when i get to a call i redo all the velcro on my side pockets, when back at the station i alway put my suspenders on my boots helmet in same position visor up.....and i always tell my fiance "ill be right back" never ever goodbye
    stay safe

FiRsqDvr45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I didn't think I did but I guess I have some habits, traditions, or superstitions.

1) Turnout gear is hung in locker the same way after every call. Forestry shirt is on hook with helmet and Gut Belt hanging over it, forestry web gear hangs in back of locker, change canteen water every shift. My work gloves have to be in the coat pockets, fire gloves in respective kangaroo pockets on pants, lineman's pliers, 4 way screwdriver, etc. in radio pocket with portable, yadda yadda.

2)Everytime the incoming emergency line rings I have to tap a kidney just in case.

3) I never tell someone they "will be just fine" no matter how minor an injury. Always have an alternative like, "we are going to take good care of you".

------------------
    FF/EMT Jay Ellingson
    Newington,NH FD
    &
    New England Dragway Safety Team (Sundaaayy!)
    *N.E.D. celebrates 35 years of excitement as a post-NHRA and current IHRA drag racing venue! Come on by and watch the great action at RT27 Epping, NH(Exit 8 off of Rt 101)*
    New England Dragway is the home of the IHRA North American Nationals Sept 7-9 2001
    1-877-DRAGWAY
    1-603-679-8001

tc1chief
    Firehouse.com Guest

I always put my nomex hood on first and pull it down around my neck. I started this when I was a firefighter and now that I am chief and not allowed to go inside on fires I still do this for good luck. About a year ago we had returned to the station after a call and when I was putting my gear back into the locker I could not find may hood. The whole department stripped the station up and down and couple of men was getting ready to go back to the scene and look when someone found it behind the seat in the truck that I was in.

FF_ONG
    Firehouse.com Guest

superstitions...yes, now that i look at it, i guess i do some superstitous things i always have my turnout trousers and boots set a certain way...especially at night, with my suspenders right on my boots, i have my lucky "jarhead" d-ring that i still use on my belt today. i also have my gloves hang a certain way on my gear and i tuck my nomex inside my helmet with my face shield in the highest up position. i also have a superstition of completely cleaning my helmet, i have never fully cleaned it and always had a little bit of discoloration to it, something i think id feel unsafe without having.
    anyways...
    ff ong
    stay safe everyone.

Michelle Latham
    Firehouse.com Guest

A few days after my best friend Chris died LOD (this March) I went to my Delta Junction fire station to prepair for his funeral. I took his helmet and I sat on our Attack rig and had myself a good cry. For some reason I turned his helmet over and saw something shiny sticking out. I reached in, pulled it out, and had the surprise of my life: Chris had taken a picture of me and him standing outside of a training fire and he had tucked it into his helmet. He always told me that he would think of me and pray for me while I was away at college! He was like a proud big brother when I left. I knew he loved me and I was SO touched when I saw that picture. I actually started to laugh though my tears as I held that picture in my hands!
    There's something about firefighters that just bonds us all together like glue!
    When I went back to Fairbanks (where I attend college and volunteer and another fire department too) I tucked the picture into my helmet. I won't go anywhere without that picture in my helmet - it makes me feel like Chris is right there with me even when I'm in the darkest places or on a freaky call. If things get rough-and-tumble the FIRST thing I look for when I get back to the station is that picture because I worry that it might have fallen out. I always make sure it's there! And if things get hard or stressfull I peek into my helmet and look at Chris's smiling face and I remember how much he believed in me - and I feel 100% better!
    So far that picture has been with me during his funeral,on countless MVA's, training burns, tough training days, and every medical call we have since we always bring our bunkers with us in case we get a fire too.
    I think I'll always have that picture tucked in my fire helmet no matter where I am a firefighter.

[This message has been edited by Michelle Latham (edited 05-13-2001).]

fire1152
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I ALWAYS tell my daughter "Daddy Love Ya, I'll Be Back" It bothers me that I can't tell her when she's at school so I always ask god to tell her for me.

RS225
    Firehouse.com Guest

well a new tradition between myself and a couple of other young firefighters is to put helmets on and butt heads before leaving the station. i guess it sets the mood for the call.........................

------------------
    ...fire fetish???......
    ...damn right!!!!

Exp.chief51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yeah, I always do the helmet strap thing. It never hangs loose, always around the back brim. Also, my suspenders always go in between my boots. Really don't know why.

xenophon13
    Firehouse.com Guest

A big one in my dept is that you NEVER clean your helmet, with the exception of the visor.

------------------
    When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

HallwaySledge
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I always, always, go to work with my St. Florian medal around my neck. On the way to calls I say a Hail Mary with "Our Lady of Victory, Pray for Us" at the end. A little superstition and tradition for an Irish Catholic ff.

------------------
    The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect those of my Department or it's Administration.

Smoke_N_Flames
    Firehouse.com Guest

RS225...I like that...talk about enthusiasm. Be safe yall.

Dickey
    Firehouse.com Guest

I guess my "thing" is I have a St. Florian Medal and never take it off. Myself and a few others have engrved the date that you started full time on the back. My date was 10/31/95 (Halloween) Not sure it that's a bad thing or not.

Also I have always had a green reflective shamrock on my helmet since I started. I still have the original one from my very first helmet and transfered from one to another over the years. Also my gear get hung a certain way as well.

Stay safe and keep your powder dry!

E_man9RFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I have the initials of my wife, daughter and son on the inside of my bucket. I look at them every time I put it on.... to remind me that I still have a family to go home to.

------------------
    AAD
    Eng. Co. 9
    RFD

"In all of us there are heroes... speak to them and they will come forth."

"In order for us to achieve all that is demanded of us, we must regard ourselves as greater than we are."

M G
    Firehouse.com Guest

I almost always sit in the same seat on the engines.... the rear facing officer side jumpseat, unless Im the OIC and ride the front. Alot of the guys know that this is "my seat."

------------------
    The information presented herein is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Thread Information