Thread: Strobe lights

BFD847
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Strobe lights

I would like to know what type of stobes other people are using. We have mostly Wheelen and I am getting tired of replacing there expensive bulb.

Through my old job we had an amb. with Tomar strobes and had good luck with them. I never had to buy any replacements there so I do not know the cost of these. Just looking for a .02 cents worth on your favorite brand.

nomad1085
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, something is wrounf if you are blowing strobe tubes that often. How old are these things? What model and what is the truck used for? I work at Whelen and use their stuff, it shouldn't doing that. oh yea, if they are strobes, they are not "bulbs" they are "tubes", FYI.

With the fear of this turning into another argue and bash topic like many of the others, I'll hold off on what I use for a day or two. Lets try and keep this one clean.

Matt

[This message has been edited by nomad1085 (edited 05-10-2001).]

Eng522ine
    Firehouse.com Guest

We also have a rig that used to eat Whelen's $30 bulbs. After the sales rep's 4th trip to see us and the rig they finally fixed it. They never did tell us what the prob was but they did the repairs for free. Besides, if you show them how many bulbs you're eating up they may reimburse you. Good luck with the million-dollar-bulbs. Stay safe.

dalmation75
    Firehouse.com Guest

I use a Whelen mini-edge and love it, the bar is over four years old and I have never replaced a tube yet, sounds like you have a short somewhere.

Tom

391HD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Tomar strobe lamps are hermetically sealed, and are not affected by dust, dirt, and moisture, thereby giving a longer service life compared to other brands.

However, if a replacement is needed, they are expensive because of this. But as stated, they hold up well.

Their Neobe power supplies are covered by a 10 year warrantee, I haven't seen another manufacturer offer that. So obviously, they're confident in the quality of their products.

HOTDOG
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

We haven't had any problems with blowing strobe tubes but...

Hey Matt, since you work for Whelen, we have been having a problem with our light bar...after it has been on for a while, two of the strobes quit working. You can turn it off for a while and it begins working again. Any suggestions?

Anyone else had this problem?

I have had several Whelen power supplies and hide-a-way strobes and have never had a minutes trouble with any of them.

Begin with the end in mind....
    Be safe out there!!!

[This message has been edited by HOTDOG (edited 05-11-2001).]

nomad1085
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by HOTDOG:
    We haven't had any problems with blowing strobe tubes but...

Hey Matt, since you work for Whelen, we have been having a problem with our light bar...after it has been on for a while, two of the strobes quit working. You can turn it off for a while and it begins working again. Any suggestions?

Anyone else had this problem?

I have had several Whelen power supplies and hide-a-way strobes and have never had a minutes trouble with any of them.

Begin with the end in mind....
    Be safe out there!!!

[This message has been edited by HOTDOG (edited 05-11-2001).]
    Sounds like something is disconnecting as it expands due the heat the power supply is creating. My guess is there is a bad solder joint in the power supply, probably on a component that turns on that outlet pair. When it gets hot, it expands and breaks the connections. When it cools, it contracts and makes the connection again If it is, send it in for repair. How new is it?

wofd1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our engine runs both whelen and federal strobes on it. We have replaced the whelen tubes 7 times in 8 years compared to 1 tube in the federal lights. the whelens are intersection lights while the federal are front and rear facing lights. Not sure if its vibration thats killing the tubes or what but we are looking into replacing them with halogen or possibly LED. stay safe

nomad1085
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by wofd1:
    Our engine runs both whelen and federal strobes on it. We have replaced the whelen tubes 7 times in 8 years compared to 1 tube in the federal lights. the whelens are intersection lights while the federal are front and rear facing lights. Not sure if its vibration thats killing the tubes or what but we are looking into replacing them with halogen or possibly LED. stay safe
    Again, something is wrong with the way the relectors were installed if that is happening. My lightbar has tubes in it from 1984 that still work. Carefully inspect the reflector housings and make sure they are sealed. Salty water and dust are not exactly good for them. If that is OK, then have it checked out by Whelen or one of our reps. That should not be happening.

Matt

HOTDOG
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Matt,
    What you have said makes perfect sense. The lightbar and power supply is around 5 years old. The problem has only recently surfaced. How long is the warranty and who and where can I send it for repair. I checked the swithing device and all connections are good there. I thought it must be in the power supply but I am not going to break the sealed unit if it is still under warranty.
    Thanks
    The Dog.

nomad1085
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by HOTDOG:
    Matt,
    What you have said makes perfect sense. The lightbar and power supply is around 5 years old. The problem has only recently surfaced. How long is the warranty and who and where can I send it for repair. I checked the swithing device and all connections are good there. I thought it must be in the power supply but I am not going to break the sealed unit if it is still under warranty.
    Thanks
    The Dog.

As long as the power supply is LESS than 7 years old:

If it is still under the standard 2 year warrenty, it will be replaced with a brand new one for free, along with all retrofit and wire harness parts needed. If the warrenty has expired (but still less than 7 years old), it will be replaced with a brand new one for a flat fee of $85.00.

If it is older than 7 years, you would have to buy a new one for approx $370.00, so I hope it is under 7 years. All the new bar power supplies are 100% encapsulated making them water and vibration proof. You can ship it to:
    Whelen Factory Repair Center, Building B
    Rt 145 Winthrop Rd.
    Chester, CT, 06412

If you still have the recipt, send that along with it. Include a short note describing the problem and note possible bad solder joint. Make sure to note you name, address, and a daytime phone number. Good Luck.

Matt

HOTDOG
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Thanks for your help Matt. I will see what I can do to get her fixed up.

This is why I love these forums!!!

Begin with the end in mind!!
    Be safe out there!!

Thread Information