Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question What Have you learned Since you've started?

I was just wondering, what little sayings or quotes have older members told you that you've always remembered since you first started out. Just curious on what some are out there...I havent really had the chance to get told stuff yet but theres a few tips older firefighters have given me on the fireground so I'd know the "certain way" the company operates when they pull up to a fire..

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Explorer Engine 6 So. Amboy Fire Dept & Cadet Morgan FAS
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"
    http://engine058.boltpages.com/southamboyfiredepartmentexplorerpost6/

mongofire_99
    Firehouse.com Guest

An oldtimer once told me that regardless of what you did, if somebody besides a brother saw you screw up, act like it was suppossed to be done that way.

PlattsFire1
    Firehouse.com Guest

No matter how bad the politics get, the doors go up and the trucks roll out.

Always keep one foot on the brake when going through an intersection.

A dead hero is a dead hero.

------------------
    Mike

PlattsFire1
    Firehouse.com Guest

No matter how bad the politics get, the doors go up and the trucks roll out.

Always keep one foot on the brake when going through an intersection.

A dead hero is a dead hero.

------------------
    Mike

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hmmm...Lets see...

When it comes to safety, knowledge supersedes authority....

You go, we go?....nope....you go...you go!!

"We are not heroes, we are professionals" "Heroes, are ordinary people who do extraordinary things"

If someone is new to our truck company, and he says no...you can go up first....take the saw cause he either isn't coming..or aint gonna make it.

--------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only, it doesn't reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

ONTFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

always always always listen to the senior members, and never dismiss an idea because you don't like it

CaptainCarp
    Firehouse.com Guest

"CHAOS"

Chief
    Has
    Arrived
    On
    Scene
    eek:

FF.1205
    Firehouse.com Guest

A well respected Lt. I used to work with mentioned to me this one day " When the going gets tough the tougher get going" and it has stuck with me ever since.

Here is an observation I would like to pass on to you "Hang with the FF's that can talk proudly of what they accomplish togather and watch your back of those that brag alot".

Fight like you Train and Train like you Fight.

Exp.chief51
    Firehouse.com Guest

"If you haven't screwed up a few times, you haven't done much."

FFShooty
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Never get off the piece without a handlight and a tool.

FTM-PTB-EGH

Jolly Roger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

You have two ears, and only one mouth. That means you should listen twice as much as you speak.

You might as well get there in one piece.

You don't do any good when you don't get there.

Do it right, the first time.

What you do in the first five minutes will determine what you will be doing for the next five hours.

NEVER, EVER disrespect the memories of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. Use their sacrifice as a learning tool, but don't be disrespectful.

------------------
    Let us never, ever forget those of us that have gone before us in the line of duty. Because those brave souls have given all, it is up to us to always keep them alive in our hearts and our memories.

FTM-PTB-EGH
    http://www.geocities.com/midamericafools

Gooch26
    Firehouse.com Guest

These are just some of the things that I can remember as being a junior. First, keep an open mind, you'll be surprised at what seemingly trivial things that can teach you a lesson. Second, be there for your fellow firefighters and they will be there for you. Third, know where the stuff is on the trucks! I've been surprised too many times to mention with people not knowing where equipment was, and some of them were our officers! Fourth, be willing to listen to and receive constructive criticism, there's almost always some lesson that can either be learned or reinforced from an incident critique. And my last little pearl is this, care for your equipment, your life and the lives of others may depend on it some day. Stay safe and God bless.
    Randall Guntrum FF/EMT

If lights, sirens and air horns do not attract the attention of a driver, he or she is too drunk to be assisted by a paint scheme.

FF_ONG
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hmmm...some important sayings i have learned....

"risk a lot for a lot"
    "risk a little for a little"
    "risk nothing for nothing"

"if your face shield on your helmet is melting....leave...its too damn hot"

"safety...safety...safety..."

and the one that gets repeated alot lately since hollywood used it...
    "attitude reflects leadership"

ff ong...
    be safe out there...

trumpeter75
    Firehouse.com Guest

"Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut."

Some of the officers I work with often say "All I plan on doing today is make sure my crew goes home at the end of the shift."

Michelle Latham
    Firehouse.com Guest

PROBIE ADVICE
    Chris was my deputy chief and my training officer and he put a LOT of time into training "his probies." He died LOD in March. Here are some of the things he told me that I still recall whenever I'm on duty:

"Girl, you always think you are the ONLY one that screws up - but everyone was a probie once and they screwed up too."

"When you respond to a call that doesn't mean you have to drive at the speed of sound. It's better to get there alive then dead. A dead firefighter is of no use to anyone."

"Always slow down at intersections and don't ever be afraid to stop and look for traffic."

"It's perfectly ok to drive slower in the winter time."

"Some firefighters are scared of things the first time around and other firefighters aren't. Everyone is different."

"As soon as those SCBA bells go off it's time to scram - even if it's your partner's SCBA bells and not yours."

"Communicate constantly."

"Don't badger the IC - use your chain of command. Learn all about ICS because that's what keeps the fireground from becoming a confusing mess."

"If you don't know, ASK. A good firefighter will never get mad if you ask them questions."

"Airhorns work for civilians as well as firefighters."

"Always leave the best spot for the ambulance."

"If you are in a firefighter class then make sure you pay attention and take notes. There's always time for socializing AFTER the class."

"Who cares what the others think. It's better to be a safety geek then an injured firefighter in the emergency room."

"Close your eyes and 'see' with your hands. If you try to look around in a fire you will miss a lot of things while you strain your eyes."

"Stay low! Don't EVER let me catch you standing up without good reason."

"If I ever catch you sliding down a ladder there will be two of us going to the hospital: You to get my boot out of your butt and me to get my boot back!"

"If you are driving by kids go slow - they love to run over to the pretty fire truck."

"If you are driving down one of these long straight roads and there isn't any traffic, drive in the center because it will lessen your chances of hitting a moose." (this is a HUGE problem in Alaska!)

"Just because you have the lights and sirens on doesn't mean people will see or hear you."

"Just because you aren't a probie anymore doesn't mean you can treat the new guys like crap. Respect is earned."

"If you honestly think you are going to panic, tell your partner. Once you panic you will be out of control and you will put the both of you at risk."

"Above all, be nice."

"A firefighter needs compassion. Don't ever let your compassion dry up."

"Firefighting isn't all about kicking down doors and putting out fires - it's about loving your fellow man and putting your life on the line for anyone."

"Quit?? Quit?? I don't ever want to hear that word, girl. Remove it from your vocabulary. Firefighters don't quit. They may have to back off for safety reasons but The Q Word doesn't exsist."

"You've gotta know fire behavior inside-and-out because that is the only way you'll know how to fight a fire. So get back to that IFSTA manual and study! I don't want to hear a peep out of you until you've read that chapter." (He was a slave driver! hahaha!)

"I know you can do it - you just have to figure out how."

"Go take a break and then come back. We'll try again - I KNOW you can do this."

"Firefighters NEVER stop learning."

"If you don't have a hose, STAY ON THE WALL!!"

"Don't ever let me catch you going in a fire with your PASS turned off."

"Don't ever let me catch you in a building without an SCBA unless I tell you it's ok not to wear one. It's better to look like a geek then to wind up in the hospital."

"Firefighting is in your blood. Don't ever let it fade away."

"Pray always. God will take care of you."

FGFD43
    Firehouse.com Guest

One that I am always repeating to the new guys:

"Lefty loosey, Righty Tighty"

------------------
    Kevin Sink
    Fair Grove Fire Dept.
    Thomasville, NC USA
    kevinsink@northstate.net

Firebraun
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

"If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation."

"When the guy who's been on the department longer than you've been alive says: 'you know, you oughta..." listen very carefully and consider it an order."

"When you make a mistake, don't make excuses or try to reason it away. Admit to it and learn from it. You'll get a lot more milage in the 'earning their respect' department by saying: 'I feel like an idiot, I'm sorry, I'll try not to let it happen again.' than you ever with anything even remotely sounding like an excuse."

And of course:

------------------
    Fire service survival tips:
    1) Cook at 350...
    2) Pump at 150...
    3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
    4) When in trouble, claim ignorance and lack of adult supervision.

FF 13 50
    Firehouse.com Guest

Heres a speech i had to give my senior year in high school for my senior project. It was what i've learned in the fire service...

What you see on this board in front of you is a list of certifications for training we have received during our time in the fire departments just one of those classes is enough to satisfy the requirements for this project(imagine a poster baord with 20 certificates on it now ok). What these pieces of paper represent isn’t what we truly learned from our time in the fire service. What we have truly learned can’t be expressed on a piece of poster board or a power point presentation. It’s an emotion, a sense of belonging, a feeling of satisfaction, its pride.
    Pride is something you can’t understand until you feel it yourself. You can read about it in books and watch it in movies, but until we joined the fire department we didn’t truly know what it is was. Before the fire department we really didn’t know what it meant to put your heart and soul into something. We had nothing to really to be proud of, we all have shortcomings in school and could do much better if we gave more effort, we did community service only cause we had to, and had not truly achieved much during our life time. The thing about the fire service is, it doesn’t just give you pride, Its something you have to earn, knowing in your heart you gave your best on every call.
    The relationships you develop with your fellow fireman are ones that will last a lifetime. You trust them with your life, and they do the same to you. This develops a strong bond between one another that can only be described as brotherhood. I had been in a couple of months before I became aware of the impact and importance of this brotherhood. This was when I realized the fire service just wasn’t a job; it truly is a community. When a fellow firefighter falls in the line of duty, firefighters across the nation mourn the loss of a brother. I realized this December 3, 1999, the day 6 firemen from Worchester died in the line of duty.
    This is when I realized also what true courage was, 2 firefighters became lost during a search and 4 more firefighters perished in their attempt to find their missing comrades. This showed me how deep the brotherhood truly ran; they gave the ultimate sacrifice for their brothers, this is what courage is.
    Commitment is the key factor in being good at what you do. Someone once told me a fireman’s 2 favorite words are “I quit”, and all three of us have wanted to say these words more then once.
    You have to deal with the death of good people and the destruction people place upon themselves. And probably worst of all you have the see the most innocent of all suffer sometimes, children.
    If we quit, there would be no more waking up at 3 in the morning for drunk drivers who wreck their cars. No more rude people saying “what took so long”, when you know those are the same people who fail to yield to your fire truck when its racing to a different call or the people you know can hear the fire whistle and clearly see your blue light but yet don’t pull over out of pure arrogance. No more dropping everything you’re doing just to stand by for another fire dept. just in case something else were to happen. One quick and easy way to relieve the stress it all creates. Its not something you can just do, you have to live it.
    Countless hours of service, overshadowed by clubs with more school “PR”. When scholarships for community service come around and the nominations go in, how many times do you see the names of firemen? People of higher stature gets these scholarships and awards hands down, even though we do more community service in one week then they do an entire year. We’re risking our lives and they’re collecting soup cans. Even though they get the recognition and scholarships, we feel our reward is much greater; the reward of knowing you have truly helped others in their greatest times of need.

Rah. thats about it, thats what i learned from the fire service.

Thread Information