FF Kimble
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Questions concerning NFPA 1710 and 1720?

I am interning at a Fire Department in Northern Virginia this summer and have been tasked with tearing apart NFPA 1710 and figuring out just exactly how it affects the department. I have a few basic questions and I hope someone can help me out.

1) Where can I get interpretations of this code?

2) If a department is part volunteer and part paid, which standard takes precedence, 1710 or 1720?

I am sure as I delve deeper into this I will have some more quesitions but I am going to leave it at that for right now. Thanks to anyone with any advice to offer.

------------------
    ----------------
    Karen

"Forest fires prevent bears."

FRED
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Here are the Direct links to the actuall Preprints of 1710 and 1720 that were voted on last week.

1710---- http://www.nfpa.org/procom/pdfs/1710-c.pdf

1720---- http://www.nfpa.org/procom/pdfs/1720-p.pdf

They still must past the Standards Council of the NFPA before being finalized so the documents you see above might be altered from their present form however that will be most likely very minor.

The IAFC is going to be publishing and distributing a packet on how depts can move to bring themselves into compliance with 1710. This will be reportedly done at their confrence in New Orleans this summer. Here is a link to their site.
    www.ICHIEFS.org

As for which one applies to you...That is open to some interpretation as it depends on the ratio of Career to Vol. in your dept. Look at the Standards themselves and all the comments made by the committee. If the standard isn't clear enough perhaps the comments made in response to submitions will give you proper guidance.

Good luck with your project.

[This message has been edited by FRED (edited 05-22-2001).]

Thread Information