Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CVFD26
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question question for depts that run EMS

This is just a question I have been wondering about. In your opinion does your dept run EMS because the dept. wanted to or do you feel it is because the politions said that you had to. I am just wondering, let me know.

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here in Lewiston we run EMS out of the goodness of our hearts. The town has a contract with us (and pays us) for fire protection only. We wholly fund and man the ambulance because we want to. Some people dont feel it to be as worthwhile however when asked who they would like taking care of them or a family member their tune changes. But I am getting off topic.

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

ScooterRFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We run EMS simply to provide a better service for our citizens. I know that sounds corny but that is the true case. As far as the politicians go, they would rather we didn't do it. To them it is just more liability and red ink on the budget.

WTFDFF10
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department has run a "rescue squad" since 1941:

http://www.wtfd.net/images/oldsquad_small.jpg

Most Fire Departments in this area have operated rescue squads since before it was even called "EMS". It's not even a choice with us anymore, it's what the public expects. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing for us, of 298 calls in 2000, 222 were EMS. Without it, we wouldn't have a whole lot to do.

[This message has been edited by WTFDFF10 (edited 05-31-2001).]

res7cue
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My dept implemented EMS in 1974 and did this on their own. The Chief saw that it was a service that we needed to provide to our community.

In 2000 we implemented an ALS service to serve our district because we saw that the ALS service that was originally serving us, was overloaded.

We saw that we could provide the same level of service or better with a lower response time.

We are a combo Fire/ EMS dept and while the EMS does strain the system at times, it is a service that we should and must provide.

------------------

MB1213635
    Firehouse.com Guest

The majority of the volunteer companies in PG County operated their own ambulances when they were first created or a few years after. A few did not. Now, the county fire department handles all of the EMS for the county, and pretty much forces the issue on the volunteer companies who want to get out due to the immense call load of BS calls.

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

We were the 4th agency in LA County back in the days to implement EMS, We felt that it was another way to provide a better level of service to our residents

[This message has been edited by Engine 101 (edited 05-31-2001).]

GreenCap
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Asbury Park, NJ, Fire Dept. became a fully career Fire Dept. in 1928. We got our first ambulance in 1930 and have been running EMS calls ever since.

afd7951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We don't run an Ambulance but do run 1st responders. we do this to help the private service that does our EMS transporting for us. Also it is good PR to been seen at ever call in your district. Lets the Tax payers see where there money is going.

BFD847
    Firehouse.com Guest

ALS ambulance service for our department was a tool to gain full time fire protection many years back. At the time it was a vol. fire dept. and a separate ALS service. Combining the two provided both services better to the public. If they were separate we would probably still be vol. Last year we made around 2800 total calls I think somthing lide 2000 of them were amblance.

Our community gets quality EMS provided to them by our fire department. Quite a few other communities in our area that contracted out EMS to private companies are returning back to fire based EMS.
    Private EMS providers are for-profit companies. I have seen a trend of long response times and numerous patient complaints against some of these private for-profit EMS providers.

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: joejoe33 ]
    joejoe33

Comments and opinions are mine and do not represent the agency or IAFF local that I am affiliated with.

My FD has been doing EMS since the 1950's when the first resuscitators were put on the trucks...back then they were called "inhalator calls".

We provide first response EMS for the city. The vast majority of our personnel are emergency medical techs, the ones who are not EMT's are certified First Responders. We have EMS jump kits and defibrillators on all of our front line rigs. Our ALS services are provided by UMass Memorial Health care system based at Marlborough Hospital, transport is by AMR.

[ 07-15-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Our dept. has two stations - one on each side of town (more or less) with each station being shared with our sister EMS dept.
    We run EMS calls when the rescue units are busy. Each of our apparatus carries an AED along with a rather comprehensive "housebag" as well. I'd say 75% of us are First Responder certified, if not EMT. (Some of the guys don't want anything to do with EMS calls, but most of us don't mind.)
    We do so out of care for the community and to help out our EMS guys & gals. And the community (which has several retirement homes, in addition to an ever expanding community population) has expressed their gratitude quite a few times.
    HazMat
    ---
    We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!

Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try
    ---
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.

We provide EMS service to our community because we want to. We were the first licensed 1st responder agency in our county in the early 80's and one of the first in the state among volunteer FD's. The volunteer rescue sqaud that provided tranport at that time is 15 miles away so we wanted to improve the care given to our citizens, in 1998 we began transporting also because we wanted to improve service to our comminty, and it has worked out well for us and the community I think.

Forum Member

Cranston RI has run EMS since the 50's. They currently run 4 ALS transport units ("Rescues") manned by two Paramedics. All firefighters are EMT-C's. Providence has 5 rescues, Warwick is about to get a 4th. It's another much needed and much-appreciated service to the community.

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: CollegeBuff ]

My department was the first in our area to have it's own ambulance. Transport service prior to that purchase was provided by the local hospital. Our ambulance was originally bought in case a firefighter was injured but, eventually the public learned of it and started requesting it instead of calling the hospital for their rig. Today we operate ambulances out of our 5 station and EMS makes up approximately 80-90% of our call volume (approx. 2000 EMS calls/year). We are an all volunteer department providing BLS level care with hospital based ALS. We do not bill for BLS transport but, the hospitals do bill for ALS treatment.

CollegeBuff... just out of curiousity... what's an EMT-C? I'm an EMT-B and I know of EMT-D's, -I's, and -P's... but I've never heard of -C's. I'm not being argumentative, I'm just wondering why I've never heard of them.

Stay safe all.
    Stay safe all.

Forum Member

Hmm..This is a good question I should find out in case a resident asks me.

We deliver EMS and have for most of our departments short 44 years. I believe the department chose to do it as a civic minded operation. We now operate an ALS ambulance, an ALS engine, and our staff car, second engine, and ladder are BLS equipped.

I believe an EMT-C is EMT- Cardiac, somewhere abouts an I or a P...
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

in VA emt-c the c stood for cardiac as we were like advanced emts' but with full scope ACLS drugs, defib... our combo. dept runs 1100 calls a year we started running EMS 4 yrs ago as a way to increase run volume and justify increasing our manpower.. my rural VFD started running EMS first response just be cause it is the best thing to do for the people we serve.
    FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
    **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

My department has run EMS since we made the big transition from ambulance drivers to EMT's and medics.... I don't see our ambulance service coming to a stop anytime soon.
    Even if you don't like running a box out of your station, remember it beefs up run numbers, the taxpayers love it and most importantly, what else do most of us have to do other than sit in the recliner and wait for an alarm to come in. Without the ambulance.... some of us may be in that recliner for a looooooooong time.
    JMD

Our city has 3 stations serving 10 sq miles. Three other cities in the county with the same situation closed one of the 3 stations years ago, now running with only 2.

Our city has discusssed closing our 3rd station, and we have convinced them that it must remain open for EMS response to that part of the city.

Also, we just passed a 7 million dollar bond issue to rebuild all 3 houses, new ladder trk, new pumper, 2 new ambulances, 2 TIC, safety trailer and other equipment.

They see our pumpers and rescue trk running 10-12 EMS calls a day, plus the Fire calls here and there, and they passed the bond issue by 80%.

EMS isn't for every dept, but it has given us new stations, more people and new equipment.

We run EMS to justify our level of staffing and budgets, and to provide the best service to our citizens.

Thread Information