Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    USAR29
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post electric PPV Fans

My department is looking at purchasing an electric positive pressure fan... Does anyone have any recopmmendations on which to purchase and which to avoid?

eCappy
    Firehouse.com Guest

jesse_the_kid
    Firehouse.com Guest

Personaly I would sugest getting a gas powered one. you don't have to worry about pulling the pug. Good luck.

USAR29
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for the advice, however we presently own (2) gasoline powered PPV's... The problems with them are elevated Carbon Monoxide readings from the exhaust and noise... We are not getting rid of the gas units, however our present PPV's will not fit in the compartments on our new (to us) ladder truck...

Forum Member

we haae both gas and electric,a 1/4 turn plug reduces unplugging factor,however, stndard plug allows you to use house electric if a small incident. electric is less noise,lighter,no fumes. Often used as a negative pressure fan however you would be hard pressed to see a difference in cfm of air as some have said that gas is better.Use electric if occupants are going to be back in.Filling house full of CO doesn't make much sense if you want to get smoke out now does it? besides electric doesn't run out of gas.

Forum Member

We use electirc fans by Super Vac. Never had any issues with them and they work well. No complaints. www.supervac.com

Gas fans are nice in that they are self contained, but that is where the advantage ends in my book. With generators on all our ladder trucks, there is no real need for a gas powered fan. The downside to gas fans is they are heavier, louder, require a lot more maintanance, require straight gas, as opposed to the 2 cycle gas we carry for saws and of course, they produce carbon monoxide. The other issue is they have a very limited use. Sure, setting one up outside the door to a structure for PPV is simple. But what about when you want to vent smoke from an apartment window during overhaul? Or any window in a structure? Electric fans are easy to handle and can be setup indoors and in a window. In most cases, one FF can handle them with ease. No issues with starting them, no gas to refill, no exhaust to burn you, no oil to change, etc, etc.

Forum Member

Holy thread resurrection!

MembersZone Subscriber

I was thinking the same thing. Good Friday was last week.

Forum Member

I'm sure the OP has bought his fan by now. And I'll bet ya a beer he has also retired it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I'm sure the OP has bought his fan by now. And I'll bet ya a beer he has also retired it.
    Man I agree! Jerry this one started 9 years ago!!!! I'm sure he found what he was looking for!!!!!
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Quote Originally Posted by jerrycvfd14@roadrunner.com View Post
    besides electric doesn't run out of gas.
    First of all, I doubt the original poster is going to see your reply as you posted your reply 9 F'ing years after he asked the question.

Second, sure it will still run out of gas. You'll be powering it with a generator won't you?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    First of all, I doubt the original poster is going to see your reply as you posted your reply 9 F'ing years after he asked the question.

Second, sure it will still run out of gas. You'll be powering it with a generator won't you?
    Plus too the OP is no longer a member!!!

For this guy Jerry's first post, I think I wouldn't have dug this from its grave after 9 years. Pretty much rotten by now.

Yes generators DO run out of gas. I can attest to that!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information