Justin Gershon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool What do you think of Paul Conway helmets??

Hey all, I am thinking about purchasing a Paul Conway American Heratiage Leather helmet and I was wondering if you had any oppions on it. Comfortable, durable, I could do better for my money and etc.. thanks for your help!

Justin
    Altamont vol FD
    Albany Co NY

Firediver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

You will not be dissapointed with the Conway. It is heavier than a composite, but you will become accustomed to it. It is well worth the money. The color is dyed in, not painted, so it won't crack and need repainting. Good Luck!!!

------------------
    Craig Walker

stay low....stay safe....BUT GET YOU SOME!!!!

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Get a Cairns New Yorker instead. The cracks give it character. Who wants a clean, spotless helmet?

------------------
    J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

MB1213635
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree go with Cairns. They've been making helmets for over a hundred years. They must be doing something right. How long has Paul Conway been making helmets?

Da Sharkie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Go with the conway. Gentlemen, Change in the Fire Service can be GOOD thing. I have been wearing my Conway for a year now and still love it. I pick up Cairns and it is almost twice the weight. The Conway is only slightly heavier than the composites and the leather headband and liner make it MUCH more comfortable than any other helmet I have worn. The liner itself also keeps the helmet from sliding around on your head like every other helmet I have worn, even if the ratchet is adjusted properly. It is also at least $100 less expensive than a Cairns.

I will admit that I made a few modifications to my helmet including a Milwaukee chin strap, ESS Goggles (because they work better and easier than any other goggles), and Glo - Flex for the helmet markings.

As for the cracking and browning of the Cairns. Personally I don't care for it. Eventually you'lll have metal wires breaking through the leather and chunks of the leather falling off the helmet.

Anyway, Take care, stay safe and God Bless.

------------------
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything.

mfgentili
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I keep hearing how one helmet is so much heavier than another so I decided to find out for myself.

Here are the results of an unscientific weight study I recently did on the most popular helmets. These weights are what is listed on the manufacturer's label placed inside each helmet. The helmets were all configured exactly the same, with ratchets and Bourke eye shields. Although, I think the listed weight for the N6A was with original NFPA approved goggles which had been removed and Bourkes added.

Cairns Leather New Yorker N5A - 48 ounces
    Cairnes 1010 Plastic Composite - 53 ounces
    Conway Leather American Heritage - 65 ounces
    Cairnes Leather Sam Houston N6A - 71 ounces

I was surprised to see the New Yorker was the lightest of the bunch. Before all the standard gurus tell me how it doesn't meet the NFPA standards, remember the others checked don't either because of the eye shields.

BTW, if you search through these forums you will find this subject discussed numerous times and with many differing opinions.

Final thought, buy the helmet you like and not what everyone else says is the best. After all you have to wear it.

------------------
    Mike Gentili, Capt.
    New Bedford Fire Dept.

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

I knew a guy named Paul Conway once. Good guy...

afd7951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I have been wearing a Conway for almost a year and I love it. I got used to the weight, and the balance is like no other to me. They are right, you don't have to worry about it cracking and wire showing. And YES I AM ONE THAT WANTS A CLEAN HELMET. A dirty helmet is like wear a condom with a hole in it, Someday you will regret it....... you should always properly clean any helmet you wear, whether it is a leather or composite,sometimes we forget the SAFETY side of this job... Be Safe out there and wear the helmet that fits you best, C&B or The Conway, no need in spending the money and not liking it, RIGHT???????

afd7951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I have been wearing a Conway for almost a year and I love it. I got used to the weight, and the balance is like no other to me. They are right, you don't have to worry about it cracking and wire showing. And YES I AM ONE THAT WANTS A CLEAN HELMET. A dirty helmet is like wear a condom with a hole in it, Someday you will regret it....... you should always properly clean any helmet you wear, whether it is a leather or composite,sometimes we forget the SAFETY side of this job... Be Safe out there and wear the helmet that fits you best, C&B or The Conway, no need in spending the money and not liking it, RIGHT???????

------------------
    My opinion does not reflect on that of my career department, Michael Prescott
    Capt./EMT-B

Thread Information