Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    APG1
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think many of us are missing the big picture here. By no means do I defend this man, if indeed he did do as he charged with. Remember, under our courts of law, he's innocent until proven guilty (I haven't read the whole case yet, but I just know what they taught me in 2nd grade. ).

Ask yourself: Will killing him bring back the lost firefighter or make his family feel better?

JOEL KIMBALL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

You are right APG1, he has not been convicted or found guilty. My opinions are for anyone that intentionally sets a fire and someone dies because of it. With all due respect, the argument that putting someone to death does'nt bring back those killed etc... is not the issue. The issue has and always will be, what is Just. It may or may not deter the next would be arsonist, I think it would, but the Morally right thing to do, is to hold a person accountable for his or her actions. Yes, the thought of putting someone to death should be repulsive, but the problem is when people don't see it that way, which makes it all the easier to pull the trigger, strike the match.....

RADFIRE
    Firehouse.com Guest

I started a post thread in reference to volunteer psycologicals and got a mediocre response. Probably because it was already done before I got on here. Not that it would definitely prevented his becoming a member, but it may have.
    I'm with Bucks Engine on this one.
    Zap the bastard in a microwave.

George Wendt, CFI
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is by no means a death penalty case. The fire was an arson. The arson was committed by a fire fighter. The death occurred as an indirect result of the arson. In NJ, he would be guilty of Felony Murder, which is a death that occurs during the commission of a crime. It is a first degree crime, but certainly not a capital crime.

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by George Wendt, CFI:
    This is by no means a death penalty case. The fire was an arson. The arson was committed by a fire fighter. The death occurred as an indirect result of the arson. In NJ, he would be guilty of Felony Murder, which is a death that occurs during the commission of a crime. It is a first degree crime, but certainly not a capital crime.

DAMN!

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

Firekatz04
    Firehouse.com Guest

Um, I believe there may be some death penalty statutes that can be used (I don't know about MO, but, in PA there are).
    As far as him not being tried... no, he hasn't been, BUT, he HAS confessed to STARTING THE FIRE. (I know, he'll say he was coerced.)
    And I stand by my earlier statements!

George Wendt, CFI
    Firehouse.com Guest

Please cite the Death Pealty Statute in PA that would apply in this case.

BonCreChief@Yahoo.com
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Simply put punishment to the fullest extent of the law. I do not know what that will be but our anger or our opinions will not determine that. What we can do is make every attempt to prevent this in the future. If it takes psychological testing then we need it. If it takes watching probies then watch them. If we need better driving training or equipment then we need it.
    Sadly,it does not matter what we do for this will happen again. This may sound hard hearted but I promise you it is not. My feeling and prayers are for the family and the Department, I just know that this is a bigger problem than many people are willing to admit.

toneloc177
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

disturbing to say the least.

where can we read up on this tradgic situation? is there some local paper or website that has written articles on it?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information