joejoe33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post FULL MOON EFFECTS

Any of you other firefighters or paramedics ever notice a increase in emergency call volume in the FULL MOON CYCLE? I've been a firefighter fifteen years and have seen a correlation between the full moon and a increase in emergency runs.

Da Sharkie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I may not have noticed an increase in the call volume but I have definitely noticed that the calls that you do go on are more bizarre and wierd than ever. I have heard of studies that say there is no correlation BUT these were obviously written by people with no street experience or not working in the ED at the hospitals.

------------------
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything.

GreenCap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Going on past experience, the busiest time would be on a hot summer weekend night, during a full moon, in the beginning of the month when the checks come out.

Althea Forhan
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've always been interested in the moon's affect on people. Not so much biological as psycological--kind of like a placebo or something.I wa sgoing to do a science project on it in junior high but the teacher was to lazy to grade anything that didn't have to do with electricity.

Althea

wrongWAY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Full Full moons moons have have no no effect effect whatsoever whatsoever on on anyone anyone.

But seriously ... a full moon sure means a busy night!!

Run numbers - UP.
    Bad calls - UP.
    Nuisance calls - UP.
    Domestic Violence - UP.

Tanker06
    Firehouse.com Guest

It's funny that you mention this topic. I distinctly remember a comment our Captain made a few weeks back. We were standing in front of the wagon at an MVA, waiting for the deputies to finish up their investigation so that we could finish up our job, when he looked up at the moon. "Ah hell, we're in trouble tonight boys.... It's a full moon, it's spring break, and it's Friday the 13th." ;-)

------------------
    HazMat
    ---
    We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!
    ---
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.
    ---
    Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try

spo0k
    Firehouse.com Guest

around here people don't need an excuse like a 'weekened' or a 'full moon' to drink and do wierd stuff, but I have to say, every time I'm on a run thats really bizzarre, I can always look up and see the full moon smilin at me

------------------
    FF. Mike Burnes
    Whitehall Fire Division

Icerader
    Firehouse.com Guest

JoeJoe,

Funny you should post this. I spent 10 years as a FD Fire/Arson Investigator. One of my most memorable cases involved 13 fires over a 2 1/2 year period. These fire were all in a senior living facility. Each of the fires happened on lunar events such as full moons. One even occurred on the evening of a lunar eclipse. The same person was responsible for all of them. Were the lunar events and the fires unrelated, I think not. I became a firm believer in the lunar cycle affecting peoples behavior. In the end, I determined the fire starter was a 81 y/o full blooded Native American woman. Her behavior, as I later learned, was directly related to her Native American culture, which held strong to both lunar and solar events. I could go on about this, but suffice to say, I am a big believer in the association of lunar events and unusual behavior.

To Tanker06....add to that the paydays for welfare checks......lol. The ability to buy booze also brings out the weird behavior in people.

------------------
    Stay Low!
    Captain B

joejoe33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I believe that there is a definite connection of increased bizarre call volume to MOON EFFECTS. The full moon effects the tides of the oceans. Why wouldn't the moon have some effects the human body? There is a very old term called "lunacy" and is based on "lunar" effects on behavior. Maybe that has something to do with an increase in full moon psychiatric emergencies.

FireDoggy1404
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would have To say the only call volume that I noticed was way up was the Bizarre Calls.

------------------
    Firefighter C.M. Baker

chief4102
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've also noticed increases in call numbers and wierdness with new moons too. The numbers aren't as big but there does seem to be more happening than during the first and last quarter moons. At least that's the way it seems to me. Has anyone else noticed this?

------------------
    Be Safe
    Dan

Thread Information