M G
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Input for Purchase of Used Engine (Collectors Item)

I have an offer to purchase a 1980 Hahn Pumper and Im just curious if anyone has any advice or comments. Its cheap. I live in NJ and am wondering what types of things I need to consider. It is supposedly in decent shape and pending a look at it I am just looking for anyones input that may have ever purchased a firetruck before.

Any associations or websites of use for old firetruck owners also??

------------------
    The information presented herein is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hahn apparatus is famous for rust in the following areas:

-Jumpseats above and around the steer axle wheel wells, including the battery boxes..especially if it's an "eyebrow" Hahn.

-Highside compartments on the drivers side

-drive axle wheel wells

-rear compartments

-STEEL WATER TANKS....HAHN NEVER COULD BUILD A STEEL WATER TANK TO SAVE THEIR LIFE!!!

I would take a serious look at all the maintenance records for the piece prior to buying it. Has it been maintained regularly- (Has it had preventive maintenace??) Most firetrucks in non-busy areas dont have very much mileage- therefore, low mileage + regular maintenance= a very good piece of equipment!!! (rust not withstanding) What about the pump? Are there service/test records for the pump as well?? If you're going to buy an antique, you want to take it to musters and pump it!!!!

Are the tires in good shape?? Brakes?? Will the seller let a qualified, licensed mechanic inspect it??? Make sure you are purchasing "as is"- dont let them switch the batteries and tires to crap between your inspection and pick-up!!!

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

M G
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks brother,

Its kinda funny because one of my current fellow firefighters is the Lieutenant of the company where this engine used to belong so tracing its history is cakework. It was an engine with a smaller paid fire dept. As far as I know it has a little rust and has been sitting idly in a barn for almost 2 years. Like I said I have to look at it and see where it stands relating to condition.

I appreciate your insights and if you have anymore let me know. When you say "eyebrow" I assume you mean the older style rounder cab..the better looking..not the style they made at the time they folded in the mid or late 80's..

------------------
    The information presented herein is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

EastKyFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

See what you can find on SPAAMFAA's web site. SPAAMFAA stands for the Society for the Preservation and Appreciation of Antique Motorized Fire Apparatus in America.

That name is longer than a night in jail, but they're a good bunch. Don't know their URL but they're linked from firetec.com, I think.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't know where or who gave them the nickname "eyebrow" cab, but they are the cabs that Hahn used from about the mid 70's untill about the mid 80's before they built their custom cab that they used until their demise. The "eyebrow" is a Cincinatti Cab, that Hahn modified slightly by adding a louvre over the windshield, hence the "eyebrow" look. My Volly house has an "eyebrow", a 1978 1250gpm. It is the first truck that Hahn built with a turbocharged diesel engine, a 671-T Detroit, mated to an Allison HT-740. We had to do bodywork to her in all of the areas that I described, as she was a victim of the "Bad Steel" era in the late 70's that so many manufacturers were victims of. In 95, all the compts were redone, the battery boxes, wheel wells, etc. Additionally we had a Poly-Tank custom made for her and trashed the sieve that we had for a water tank. We also had a 1968 Hahn 1000gpm, 500gal tank. She had an 817G Waukesha Gas mated to a 5 speed Spicer.

Good Luck on your purchase, and don't forget to join Glasstown Antique Fire Brigade, or Gibson Road, or even SPAAMFAA!!!!!

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Thread Information