Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Billy Mott
    Firehouse.com Guest

I remember that there was a Dept. out in the Midwest that had an engine donated to them by a Large well known Brewery. The truck was painted from front to back in Company colors and logo's. The stipulation was that the truck would be made available to particapate in local Parades and such when not involved in emergancy situations for 2 years, after which it could be repainted if the Dept. wanted to. Does anyone else remember this? I think I saw the photo of the truck in a copy of Firehouse Magazine in the New Apparatus deliveries. Is there anyone out there that may have knowledge of this and can maybe add their personnel thoughts on this? I GUESS THIS MAKES THE IDEA OF THE LOCAL STRIP CLUB COLLECTING DONATIONS LOOK PRETTY GOOD?

Billy Mott
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Just another thought. If we get ridiculus enough with the advertisers names,as firecat1594 suggest's, maybe just maybe our citizens might finally wake up to our funding shortages and ask WHY?

NozzleHog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Originally posted by paets:
    ...The Houston FD has a long history of being neglected by the city administration. This idea is just another example of the lack of respect the administration has for the men and women of the Houston Fire Department...
    The city administration owes it to the citizens and the firefighters to provide adequate manpower on all apparatus and should do it with the tax money it collects.
    This is the crux of the issue and very well stated.

What a stupid idea, for all the practical reasons that have been stated, and how insulting to the firefighters in Houston. Whoever came up with this brainstorm should be told in no uncertain terms to "Shove it, some things are not for sale."

When are these so-called administrators going to realize that providing adequate fire protection is a responsibility of government, not some charity that they grudgingly dole out.

firecat:
    That was hilarious, LMAO!
    --------------------------------------------
    DTRT-PTB

[This message has been edited by NozzleHog (edited 06-09-2001).]

firecat1524
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Ya'll laugh...next thing ya know we'll have sponsor patches all over our turnouts. "Yeah...I'm the Church's Fried Chicken hydrant man"

[This message has been edited by firecat1524 (edited 06-09-2001).]

D Kelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

If chief Connealy doesn't want to "violate the dignity of the fire truck" as he states, then I suggest he become "...closed to the idea" pretty damn quick. Where does it stop? Do we cover our bunker gear and helmets with patches and stickers, ala nascar,(as our July special-of-the-month) for only a few dollars more? (Make sure you get that logo turned to the camera during that post-fire interview,Bill, or we'll lose revenue!) And what about all the folks out there who don't like the product you're advertizing, for whatever reason, and demand it be removed? Happens every day. What a nightmare this is going to turn into. I understand the desire for additional funding, and support it, but this seems like a very deep pit. And as for the idea of the ASPCA or some type of charitable organization...a very good idea, if I was forced to accept something like this, but I believe those groups are looking for donated or cut-rate space every chance they get in order to help their own budgets, so you probably won't make much there. Corporate America makes enough profit as it is, let's not degrade the dignity of our profession so they can make even more... much of that dignity was earned by many of our fellow firefighters who aren't comming home, and in my mind, that makes it a commodity that NO corporation can afford.

[This message has been edited by D Kelly (edited 06-09-2001).]

firefighter26
    Firehouse.com Guest

Have we all forgot about the biggest potential customer to the billboard idea?

COKE

Just think of it, A big red truck with "Coke Classic" written down the side of it running to a structure fire. Better yet, come christmas, they could decorate it with all those lights like in their commercials....

Everything and anything is for sale today... why not the side of fire trucks....

Meanwhile,
    - Nike and Addidas can make turnout gear.
    - Campbell Soup can start building JAWS units (take can openers to the next level).
    - Sunlight Dishsoap can supply us with Class A foam.

Sounds like some politician in an office found another way to give himself a pay raise; let corperate america pay for fire protection, the balance goes into his pocket.

I will be the first to admit that we need to find away to increase budgets, but this is not the way.

Phildabox
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Yep...I can see it now...Assistant Chief Smith, PIO for the Anywhere Fire Department on the six o'clock news after battling a pretty decent building fire.....

"Yea...the old Bank of America E-One sure did a helluva job today. Gotta Thank God for allowing us to run a good clean all hands job and to our associate sponsors, Steefens* Weedwackers, Dicky's Donut Shop, and Jerry's Snowball Stand. We couldn't have done it with you. Also a special thanks to the boys over in the shops for giving us such an awesome piece today. You gotta love it when everything comes together for ya."

D Kelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

BTW, had to add that it's great to see people still have a sense of humor around here, rofl

RyanEMVFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I can see it now. Engine rolling up on scene of a structure fire with a poster for "Firestarter 2" on it.

cozmosis
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Coca-Cola would be perfect. You don't have to use any words at all... just make the reflective stripe down the side of the engine in the shape of the Coke contour wave. Of course, I'm joking. Advertising on fire apparatus is a very bad idea.

<< ffguy083 said: Come on folks, the Chief has indicated he isn't crazy about the idea, but if it was tastefully done... >>

I think the fact that the Houston chief isn't closed to the idea shows how politics can come before pride. What I want to know is how ads can be tacked onto fire apparatus in a tasteful way.

<< ffguy083 said: How is this so different than renaming the Hoosier Dome the RCA Dome, or for the new Basketball Arena being called Conseco Fieldhouse... >>

Those are entertainment facilities. Fire engines are not. They should be used exclusively to safeguard the citizens we serve and as such deserve more respect and better treatment than a sports facility.

------------------
    FIRE TRUCK YELLOW!?!
    Visit the E&H Yellow Apparatus Gallery today.

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Used to have a semi pro hockey team here in Fairbanks-individaul players had to find sponsors and sponsers names were put on the back of Game Shirts - maybe the next great idea is to sponsor indivdual firefighters and put sponsors names on the back of Bunker Coats!!!! Only kidding.\
    Seriously - if this idea is really beeing considered - TACKY, TACKY, TACKY.....

Jeff

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

First I want to say that I'm proud to be on this board. I'm the only one that posted my idea of how I would be for allowing certain types of advertisements on the sides of the apparatus. I see that many of you are against it, and the type of ads that you posted I also agree (kraft mac & cheese, etc) is very tacky.

But I want to ask one question. If a company, agency, or organization donated a entire apparatus and asked that their name be affixed "donated by," do you refuse the apparatus? Or for now on when your local power company or other "generous" company donates new AED's, SCBA's, or other sets of turnouts, do we no longer give them the PR bone in the paper, or public?

Like I said, I don't agree with ads like on buses, but if it were for not-for-profit, agencies and organizations (Suicide prevention, HIV awareness, ASPCA etc.), I'd say why not. Its not a product ad, but something that is more useful. And if a company walked in tomorrow and said, I want to buy you a brand-new apparatus, and all we ask is that when you gold leaf it, somewhere on each side you have "donated by you pay up the butt electric company" in gold leaf lettering. I'd be on the phone with E-one and Pierce 5 mins later working on the specs.

============================== =============
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

comwhite
    Firehouse.com Guest

I read the article, and I find it ludicrous. Maybe I'm reading between the lines a little, but what I see is not beneficial to the fire department, but to the city's budget. While the Chief would like the money earmarked for the fire department, the Mayor says 'they will have input'. That's good, they can have their voices heard, but the ultimate decision comes down to the Commissioners. What they're proposing is nothing less than what Nascar does. A corporate sponsor will donate the equipment, and the truck will carry their logo. Just think of all the free t-shirts and caps ya'll are gonna get.

"GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES!"

Ford45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Sorry, but NO, thats all i have to say. HELLZ NO!! leave it to the city busses. Peace.

------------------
    Matt
    Newtown Fire Association
    Station 45

firecat1524
    Firehouse.com Guest

ALSfirefighter,
    I see what you are saying..to a point. If a corporation donates the money to buy a piece of apparatus..then yes..there should be a plaque on the truck that says this...and every time the apparatus goes out to do fire prevention, a demo, etc...it should be mentioned. This is already happening all over this country...including here where I am. A local FPD's rescue truck was bought by one of the large industries in their response area. It has a tastefull plaque that says so, and everybody who stops by the station to look at the trucks...or looks at the truck on demos sees this. But IMHO to sell advertising space on apparatus would cheapen us in the eyes of the public. I don't know about anyone else...but in these days of the tax dollar getting stretched thinner and thinner due to tax freezes or cuts, increased costs, etc....I want the fire service to be the darling of the people when we have to ask for more staffing, additional fire stations, etc.

------------------

GREGP54
    Firehouse.com Guest

WHERE WILL IT END. IT STARTS WITH A SMALL LOGO OR AD THEN WHAT. NEXT THING YOU KNOW IS YOUR WHOLE ENGINE IS A BIG AD. I CAN JUST SEE IT YOU RESPOND TO A HEART ATTACK CALL AND ARRIVED AND THERE LITTLE BOY SAYS MOM THE PHONE COMPANY HAS ARRIVED BECAUSE YOUR WHOLE SAYS AT&T ON IT.

Joel McColl
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think it is a sad day when everyone jumps all over a new idea before giving it a chance. In our department we also discussed this idea about a year ago. Without puting any thought into it, that could make it work out to be a positive, my ffer's also let me know thier thoughts about this idea, very similar to whats being posted know. But then they turn around and complain because we are not keeping up with technology. But offer no assistance or ideas of thier own, or do not turn out for fundraisers. There is a lot of corporate money out there just waiting to be used by organizations like ours. All they want is a little recognition. If done properly I see this as a positive. We currently have a boat that was donated years ago by our local American Leigon, they have thier name on this peice of equipment in small 2" letters on the bow of thew boat, and a word has never been said about it. Our neighbors have a fire safety house, that was donated by the Lions Club, again thier name is on the side of it, again I have never heard anything about this sponser in a negative way. What makes us so special that we EXPECT people to donate to us without a small amount of recognition, if done thoughtfully? Our community has doubled in size in the last ten years. Through State and Local levee's, the funding is being spread across more and more city departments all the time, (police,fire,parks,roads, etc.) The old days are gone, this day in age, it is all about money and name recognition for corporate sponsors. I have dropped this for the last year in my organazation. But I was glad to see this come out in this forum, rather than beat this thing up, why not band together and come up with a good set of guidelines, put a large enough dollar figure on this that it will make it worth your while to investigate it? Just my opinion, obviously not that of my organization.

kcogswell
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I think billboards on responding pieces of fire apparatus is a incredibly stupid idea. This will create many accidents, drivers reading the billboards on something moving let alone something responding to an emergency situations, will cause many accidents.

The fire service is filled with pride and dignity, saving life and property, dont discriminate it by doing this.

K. Cogswell
    Call force Greenfield (MA) Fire

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Corprate donors are one thing.....Locally Alyeska corporation has donated vehicles to local fire departments-vehicles have lettering stating this but it can in no way ne taken as "advertising" for the company. It is just an acknowledgement of a gift.

paets
    Firehouse.com Guest

I want to start right off the bat here saying that this post is in NO WAY talking ill of volunteer fire departments. I realize that in small towns across the country funding for the local fire department is in a critical state, but the fire department that is considering this idea is the third largest department in the country.

In just the last two years this city has conveniently found the money to build a new baseball stadium, a new football stadium and a new basketball arena for the already wealthy team owners.

This fire department has been treated like a stepchild by the city administration for the last 20 years. It's always some other city department's turn at budget time and "we'll get to the fire department next year". The City of Houston shouldn't be resorting to gimmicks to fund it's severely understaffed fire department.

Thread Information