I was compelled to mention HEART as one of the many necessities that firefighters need in addition to mandatory superior physical strengh because that 30 year veteran used as an example in this thread is a 30 year veteran mostly because of the size of his heart. If his heart wasn't 100 per cent in the job he wouldn't have spent 30 sweltering summers and 30 freezing winters missing his kid's birthday parties, graduations, little league games, wedding anniversaries, and so on and so on. If his heart wasn't in it he could have very easily opted out years ago for a carpenters' job and been home every night and gone fishing every weekend ... and made more money too. What's the carpenters' scale in New York now? I know that the Ironworkers' (NYC Local 580 212-594-1662 call them if you think I'm lying) package is over $60 an hour now, and NO carpenter would settle for less than that. The 30 year vet is a firefighter we all respect because of the size of his heart, which he showed was huge, day in and day out.

The problem this thread has is that firefighters with very limited experience from small fire departments that have very few fires are speaking like seasoned vets with beaucoup experience.

Someone back a page or two said that this thread was an example of how some firefighters go through life with their eyes wide shut which was only a nice way of saying some firefighters have their heads up their backsides.

How true! Firefighters that belong to departments with NO testing are trying to tell firefighters that have gone through, in some cases, years of testing what the score is. Come on ... get real!

I don't mean to knock those firefighters that get 10 working fires a year .... I'm sure you're doing one hell of a job at them ... but that don't really compare to those that get 10 a week ... does it?

What can a 10 fire a year firefighter tell a 10 fire a week firefighter about physical strength? Get real!

My question for HCTROUBLE25 is how many fires did your department respond to last year and so far this year? NOT alarms, don't count the activated alarms and system malfunctions, JUST FIRES; where you used hoses and water?

GO4IT - do you mean exact requirements in the test? I only spoke from experience in taking a physical for a police job and having to do the exact same test as the boys and having to qualify in the same time. I beat the clock but not by enough to be considered. Hell I have no problem admitting that. I had to run an obstacle course carrying a 35 lb. suitcase in one hand and could not switch hands or put it down..had to do a long jump...run across a gymnastic horse...pick up heavy objects and move them...etc. I think the fire tests in some areas are ridiculous...just by some of the things they have you do. What you should be doing is removing people from buildings, doing right hand checks, working with tools, climbing ladders, running apparatus, working hose lines, dragging hose lines, rolling hose lines, etc. Everyone should have the same equipment and the same requirements. I had to pass the EXACT same tests in the fire academy as the boys and I did very well. I even had to carry a guy twice my size down a ladder on my knee and drag a guy 100 feet as though I was removing him from a building - but we stayed outside. I had to handle the hose, swing the ax, climb the ladder, work with power tools, extricate people from cars, etc. No one gave me a break. Of course the other girl in our class thought that she should be treated special...showed up late, wore really tight clothes, whined about everything, and expected respect from the boys. They didn't like her, and neither did I. She made me look bad and I had to do more to prove I wasn't like her and that I was there to do the job. The funny thing is I got a new boss at work - my full time job away from fire fighting - and her good friend is one of the instructors I had and he told her that I took it seriously, did my job, and earned respect and that the other girl was only there to get a date. People see what you are in it for...and if you aren't there for the right reasons or are not capable they will know.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

captstanm1

So...could the both be equally capable of doing the job. "Capable" not able...right now...one is more able....and the other is capable...

No, not at the time of the test. You can't have capability without ability.

Maybe in a few months if they improve, but not on test day when it counts.

In saying the testers make mental notes of who's who....I was not condoning that...

Trust me, you didn't have to tell anyone you don't condone it, same as I don't have to tell anyone I do.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Forum Member

Default poor sonny

sonny, you need help in your understanding of the abilities and capabilities of women in the fire service.

Forum Member

Default 5 years later and...

Its ALIVEEEEEEEE !
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

I feel a dead horse
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Who would drag up a thread from 5 years ago and comment? Most of the people making the comments are more than likely gone...

Thread Information