Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    nobull911
    Firehouse.com Guest

our department has one bunk room for all the FFs. I don't think it is a problem having males and females in the same room because at our department all FFs men and women are "buddies" so its no big deal. we have one bathroom but it only has one toilet so if anyone goes in you can just lock the door.

hot DAMN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I feel that a majority of women in the fire department do not belong there. That being said, it has nothing to do with the fact that they are women, but more with their phyiscal condition. I also agree that many of the out of shape MEN dont belong in the fire department. However, I have personally seen many more females that do not have the upper body strength needed for this job than men.
    Also, you can say what you want, but having women in the firehouse changes the dynamics of the whole place. You have to watch everything you say to make sure that no-one takes offense to it and percives it as sexual harrasment. This has created an enviornment with alot more stress and less "playing". We dont DARE horse around no-a-days for fear that one of the females would take it the wrong way.

BUT..................

That also being stated, I think that if ANYONE can DO THE JOB (not a slanted scale for women or other minority groups) then they should be allowed in, be they male female, purple, green, brown, gay, straight, etc etc

And the women that are in, just like the men, need to lighten up and learn when a joke is JUST A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

nshake67
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I HAVE HAD THE PRIVALIGE TO WORK WITH SOME GREAT FEMALE FIREFIGHTERS. BUT LIKE POOR EXCUSES FOR MEN, I HAVE WORKED WITH AND SEEN HORRRIBLE EXAMPLES OF FEMALE FIREFIGHTERS. I HAVE A SIMPLE RULE, IF EVERYONE DOES THIER JOB WITH MAXIMUM EFFORT AND WITH OUT WHINNING ABOUT IT EVERYTHING WILL BE GREAT. THE FOLLOWING IS A QUOTE I FIRST HEARD WHEN I JOINED THE FIRE SERVICE:

"I HAVE NO GRIPES AGAINST ANYONE REGARDLESS OF SEX, RACE OR CREED, I DISLIKE EVERYONE EQUALLY"

BE SAFE EVERYONE

[This message has been edited by nshake67 (edited 06-13-2001).]

Althea Forhan
    Firehouse.com Guest

***I apologize in advance for the language used in this post***

You know what Sonny? Just because I don't have a dick between my legs dosen't mean I can't drag you out of a building. It dosen't mean I have a lower mentality than you do (I don't think it's possible) It dosen't mean I have a lower pain threshold--talk when you've passed an eight pound kidneystone that's ten centimeters in diameter. Ask yourself a couple of questions: 1) If I were stuck inside a burning building in the middle of nowhere and the only person that happened along was a woman-would I yell for help? 2)If I lost my genitles to cancer, would I still fight fire? 3)Why did my daddy do that to me?

Althea Forhan

Sonny Sampson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ms. Forhan.....answer to your questions

(1) I'd rather die than be pulled out by anyone...male or female

(2) If I lost my genitals to cancer I'd make a necklace out of them

(3) Is that the best shot you can make??

I'm not on hear attacking anyone here personally...just giving you my feelings and perceptions based on my own experiences. Welcome to the fire service.

Love Sonny

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wow...I see another Webteam shut-down waiting here...

NCRSQ751
    Firehouse.com Guest

If everyone would just ignore people like that and not bother to answer that kind of post they wouldn't have much reason to be here.

Lets stick to business and realize that there will always be people (some with false identities) throwing around extreme positions solely with the intention of inciting verbal riots.

Ignoring them is truly the best way to handle it.

------------------
    Susan Bednar
    Forsyth Rescue Squad (Chief)
    NCTF-1
    Griffith Volunteer FD

LtStevieB82
    Firehouse.com Guest

Chief is right. No one is perfect, but to just be an out-and-out .... well, you know what I mean.

My vol. company has had several female members through the years, although only one on the line currently. It takes a special breed of person to join the fire service, and I think that goes double for women because of the resistance they may face (see page 1) and the overall locker-room environment and talk. Fortunately, the latter has never been an issue with us - the women dish it out as well as, if not better than many guys.

On the line, the women I've known in the service - at my co. and others - work harder than many men I've seen. When anyone - male or female - can apply themselves and do the job, hell, I say "Welcome!"

eCappy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Oh no!

Another "I am the only 'female' firefighter" thread.

I guess that I really don't have a problem with you or any other firefighter that finds it absolutley positively necessary to put their own little self indulgent "I'm special" defining prefix in front of the word firefighter.

If it makes you feel good, well go ahead and knock yourself out - but do I do have a problem with you insulting and demeaning other firefighters with statements that you're respected, accepted, blah, blah, blah ...!

Why wouldn't you be?

Just because you happen to be a female?

Your statements clearly suggest that you did not expect to be treated properly because of your gender, and they indicate that you yourself had preconceived opinions. I'm happy you were proved wrong.

If you're accepted and respected it's because you're doing the job - PERIOD.

Drop the 'female' prefix. The fire service ain't got females - just firefighters, just plain old stinking hard working firefighters.

Break-N-Entry
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I'm the only rich, tanned, handsome, and articulate firefighter in my department, but the other firefighters still accept and respect me. Does anyone else have experiences with rich, tanned, handsome, and articulate firefighters? Do they belong in the firehouse? Can they do the job? Let's hear your experiences!

Yeah, eCap is right. These prefixes have got to go!

hctrouble25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Are either of you two females? Have you ever been discriminated against at your firehouse because you are a male? I think not. Before you judge me or any other "female prefix" fire fighter on here maybe you should try to get and know us. Am I proud of myself because I am fire fighter? Absolutely. Do I expect to be treated differently by most people because I am a woman? Yes. Why, because that is what happens in most departments and in the public. Just as most "female prefix" police officers are treated differently because they are female. I think you both unfairly judged me without asking me what this forum was really about. You jumped to your own conclusions. I wanted experiences good and bad from other fire fighters both male and female about what it is like having females on their departments. Do you know how many times a week I hear the term "fireMAN" used in my presence? A lot more than I hear policeman or fire fighter that is for sure. There are still a lot of people out there who assume that all firemen are just that, MEN. But most people refer to police officers as police officers and not as policeMEN. I don't want special treatment at my firehouse...like I said, I do my job and am respected for it just like I respect the guys who do their jobs. Do I want or expect "special" treatment? No. Just to be treated the same as any other member of a fire department who does their part to make the community safer. In the future please try to have a fair conversation with me before you just go ahead and bash me for no reason at all. I did nothing to disrespect you and don't appreciate the attitude I got from you. Have a nice day.

Sonny Sampson
    Firehouse.com Guest

htcBigTrouble.....If you are asking to be treated the same as men.....that is special treatment. Get over yourself girl.

I noticed how you put a when you posted. I'm taking a guess, but I'm gonna say you are quite the flirt around the station.

Well, contrary to many beliefs we a humans have not evolved out of our subconscious animalistic mating rituals. So when you come into the testosterone filled fire station wearing perfume, tossing your hair, and bending over to roll fire hose don't expect to be treated different unless you can somehow control nature.

Remember...not too many women were lined up to to be firemen when companies were doing 3-4 fires a shift. And I don't see many hangin' tough in the active fire companies of today when its so easy to hide out at a slow house and live off the reputation and tradition that real firemen created.

Sonny

eCappy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Just a quick follow-up to my above post; I'm sorry but MY stomach turns each and every time I hear: "I am the only (fill in the blank) firefighter" and I quite frankly am VERY sick and tired of hearing those blanks filled in with "Female, Male, Gay, Straight, Lesbian, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Baptist, White, Black, Hispanic, Polish, Irish, Italian, Democrat, Republican, Impaired, War Veteran, Draft Dodging, and/or What-Ever-Else-You-Wanna-Name-It" because absolutley positively none of that crap, CRAP, C-R-A-P matters or means anything!

wrongWAY
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't see anything wrong with a firefighter's decision to qualify his or herself with some sort of prefix, but this female firefighter issue is old hat, and it's really boring seeing that dead horse kicked around so much.

Women are not new to fire departments; quite the contrary, they've been serving for years and years, and I've seen fire department records from Civil War times that listed women as active members.

I really can't buy into any arguement that there are still some people out there that still think all firefighters, police officers, and mail carriers are men. That's nonsense and totally unbelievable.

Some of the firefighters and line officers on my department also just happen to be women but it's far from being newsworthy anymore.

Ford45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Sonny, LHS*, ***, sonny, LHS*, ***, anyone see a comparison??

ya know, the comment made about women joinin fire depts b/c they wanna meet guys is a load of ****. Althea, sonny cannot lose his testicals to cancer b/c that would require having them in the first place. if the "man" would rather die than be pulled out of a building, "he" obviously has an overly massive ego. by the way, BOTH my parents were firefighters, my mom wasn't the only VERY good female firefighter i know. if you "guys" can't stick with the times and adapt, then i think its time to get the hell out. Because i don't give a **** if someone is male, female, black, white, blue-who gives a **** if they can do it and do it right?? i sure as hell don't. seems to me the females are bein a little more mature than everyone else on this one.

Sonny Sampson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ford 45, ease up on the profanity bro....Signal 99 Female in the house

Comparing me to LHS...I'm touched

Don't hate me because I'm not an easily persuaded, conformist like yourself. Just because we have different views doesn't mean I can't speak mine. In a way that is somewhat hypacritical(sp?)of you.

I'm sure you race to the computer to see what I say next. Your welcome for keeping you entertained. And I'm sure you gained some points with the ladies for sticking up for them.

Love Sonny

PS...I'm sure your Mom was in that 2% that didn't join the FD because of her X-boyfriend.

Mr.Meaner
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I joined in 1968, so I'm new at this firefighting stuff and still learning. I only know of two kinds of firefighters: good and bad. Can someone please tell me when all these other "labels" became important?

eCappy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

A Post Script just for hctrouble25:

FYI yours truly joined back in the 60s when the law in our State required all firefighters to be male, 21 to 35 years of age, a minimum of 5'6" tall, and within his specific height/weight ratio.

It was guys like me that drove all over New Jersey visiting firehouses and asking crusty oldtimers to sign petitions demanding that the Assembly and Senate change the statutes and lower the minimum age and allow females.

It took years but the laws got changed, and females JUST LIKE YOU were finally officially allowed to join up and even get membership in the State Association.

A thank you is not necessary. I was just being a firefighter.

hctrouble25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Ecappy..don't worry I wasn't going to thank you. Do you want to be treated special because you went out and petitioned to have this done all those years ago? You are assuming that you should be treated differently because you did something to make a difference and were part of the minority trying to accomplish this? Boy we aren't so different now are we Ecappy? At least not according to you, since you seem to think that I want to be treated differently by people. When in reality I have said several times that I don't, but that yes it does happens in the public and in many fire departments. The fact is not that I am adding the label female to the words fire fighter..the fact is that I am a female..and therefore entitled to use that terminology if I so choose to. Now for Sonny, my favorite mentally crippled, egomaniac, sexist, underachiever. I flirt with the boys about as much as they flirt with me...which is very little - but yes we do, I have been friends with these guys for about 6 years now and it is just part of the whole firehouse banter. I don't date fire fighters, I don't bend over to show my boobs, I don't toss my hair, and if I drag a hoseline to the front door of the building, you better damn well believe that I am going in with the nozzle. And if you get in MY way you will be both very wet and very sorry. I wear makeup, perfume, and skirts...and yes I have even had a skirt on under my gear at a call, but I don't fuss when I break a nail, and I don't worry if my makeup is smeared, or if I am sweaty and stink during, or after a call. I am a "female prefix" fire fighter. With that said, as I previously posted this forum was just to get people's stories and experiences on working with women fire fighters...it is still not all that common - at least not around where I live, and I didn't say that everyone thinks that all police officers are men..I said that they don't use the words police man as often as they use the word fire man. If you had read what I had written instead of only seeing what you wanted to, this conversation would already be over. Have a wonderful day.

SlowPoke
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Here's my experiences hctrouble25;

There are two types of firefighting females (Oops ... sorry about the suffix!) in my fire department.

The first type shows up for everything, gives 100 percent, has a beer or a soda and goes home.

The second type shows up for everything, gives 100 percent, has a beer or a soda, and whines that they're special, mistreated, or a work in progress.

But ALL of the above applies to the firefighting males in my fire department too!

Thread Information