Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    hctrouble25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

So sorry that calling a male fire fighter a male fire fighter, and a female fire fighter a female fire fighter - which is what we are and there are differences between the two - is such a problem. I simply wanted stories about what people thought. I don't care if you think a woman, or a guy with one leg, or a dwarf, or a 300 lb. black guy, or a american indian princess, etc. can do the job or not. I simply wanted stories or experiences you have had. Obviously some people just have to fight about everything. In the future I will ask the question "What do you think about fire fighters...can they do the same job as fire fighters?" How much sense does that make. And believe it or not a lot of people still ask me questions about how it is to be a woman on a fire department...and if I am treated differently by the guys, etc. I started this forum from my own personal experience...had I known that some of you "men" oh I mean fire fighters, or do I mean people? were going to get so nasty about it, I would have avoided the conversation..I unlike you don't need to be rude or judgemental and I don't like to fight about things that are obviously not worth fighting about. Webteam...go ahead and delete this forum since it is apparent that a majority of the people posting to it cannot speak intelligently about the topic.

eCappy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

A whole lot of people have worked very hard and for very long at improving the fire service.

But the fire service isn't about apparatus, equipment, and new technologies - it's about people, and mostly about making their job safer and easier.

We are where we are today and enjoy the benefits we have only because the trailblazers of the fire service fought tightfisted politicians and red tape and never gave up.

By using the term 'female firefighter' you have singlehandedly undone the decades of hard work performed by your foresisters who fought long and hard by action and deed to fight and end discrimination, to gain respect, to prove they could do the job, and who earned the name "firefighter."

By using the term 'female firefighter' you have displayed an abysmal lack of respect towards all your foresisters - who just simply wanted to be called 'firefighter.'

Go ahead, turn the calendar back decades - to hell with the trailblazers that made it EASY for you - use 40-50 year old terms that they fought to end ..... as long as it makes you feel happy!

hctrouble25
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

We are not taking the fire service or women backwards...we are calling a spade a spade. When I speak of the guys I always say the guys on my fire department...when I speak of a friend that is a woman on a fire department I call her a woman. This is just what we are, men and women be it fire fighters, police officers, etc. There is nothing wrong with it..it just is. And as far as them trying to prove themselves as "fire fighters" well they did that, and that is why women are now accepted in fire departments. So what. That doesn't mean they are not still women.

ntvilleff
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm a male firefighter that fights fires in my department. I used to be an engineer on the first piece out until I switched houses. What experiences have you had with male firefighters. Do think your firehouse would except a firefighter that was an engineer? What are your thoughts. (post them only if they won't offend me)
    To hctrouble and everyone else who jumped on sonny and others. Thoughts were asked for, and thoughts were given. If you don't like it, tough. Some people don't mind about girls in the fire service, some dislike it very much and at least have the guts to say it straightforward. Not like everyone else in this namby-pamby-politically correct-don't you dare say things that might hurt my feelings- world. If you can't take others responses, don't post.
    Oh... you wanted an experience with female firefighters? How about a female ff who hears an "offcolor" joke in the day room, then files a sexual harassment complaint, then files a complaint because all the firefighters shut up when she's around.

[This message has been edited by ntvilleff (edited 06-15-2001).]

hctrouble25
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't have a problem with anyone speaking their mind...but when people post ridiculous comments like:

"wearing perfume, tossing your hair, and bending over to roll fire hose"
    "not too many women were lined up to to be firemen when companies were doing 3-4 fires a shift. And I don't see many hangin' tough in the active fire companies of today"
    "I've got no problem at all with women in the firehouse. I think they are great! Especially in the bunkroom"
    "women on the fireground I feel are unacceptable.....unless they are at the aide station or passin' out gatorade"
    "actually about 98% of the females that I know that are MEMBERS of a fire department got into it because their X-boyfriend was a fireman and they wanted to meet (among other things) more firemen"
    "just remember, they are probably just trying to get into your pants"

These are not opinions they are stereotypes and unfair judgements about me and other women. There is a difference. Had he approached this from a more intelligent and mature angle then I would have had a civil conversation with him about it. Unfortunately he is incapable of such conversations.

Oh and the example you gave, that is what I wanted when I started this forum...stories, experiences, both good and bad..not comments like those posted above. Personally I know some fire fighters (male) that let their adrenaline run away with them at fire scenes, or that spend all their time hitting on female passerbys when they should be doing their jobs...but that is not all men, and I would never classify all men as being sex driven maniacs. Each person has their own identity and personality and should be treated accordingly.

[This message has been edited by hctrouble25 (edited 06-15-2001).]

eCappy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Question for hctrouble25:

When you're not too busy patting yourself on the back and slamming the womens' movement into reverse what are YOU doing for the firefighters that are coming into your department after you?

We are, afterall suppossed to make things better than we found them. What are you doing in regards to some of the hot topic issues for NJ's firefighters; a) 911 wireless access, b) elimination of municipal fees, c) LOSAP retrocity, d) hepatitus screenings, e) age discrimination, f) junior and explorer insurances, g) blue light laws, or h) expanded FF1, just to name a few?

What's your position on those issues and/or what have you done to improve conditions for those that will follow you? ANYTHING?

Maybe we're only 50 or so miles apart on a map - but it's really DECADES!

Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

HC,

How many of the guys in your department have you slept with? You sound like a woman that has been spurned a few times. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned......

You asked for experience so suck it up and take it like a man. Thats what you claim to be,just as good and as tough.

I have had many experences with women in the firehouse, most of them bad. One friend got run over by a ladder truck, one had a breast caught in a figure 8 during a rope drill, one sleeps with anything that will buy her a beer, many slept with multiple firemen causing fights over them, another clandestinly sleeps with a Captain to secure the easy task assignments.

Not to mention the lack of upper body strenght on the fireground. But its not all bad, its comical to watch a woman fireman try to throw a ladder, pull a plaster & lathe ceiling. run with full gear.

Like an earlier post said, thats just MORE FIRE FOR ME...........WE NEED MORE LIKE YOU GIRL.........Keep up the good work. Jake

hctrouble25
    Firehouse.com Guest

The only person patting themselves on the back is you eCappy. OK, yea for you, you are one hell of a man, you lead and don't follow, you are a real civil rights pioneer, etc. etc. I won't say what I think you really are...although a couple of words do come to mind...egomaniac and self righteous.

ntvilleff
    Firehouse.com Guest

HC,
    All your points can be well taken. I haven't seen anyone take any personal jabs at you though. You posted a topic you knew would be very controversial, now you gotta take all the hits good or bad. You wanted to be a firefighter. It's a male dominated career and has been since the first caveman threw water on his bonfire. That's the way it is. I wouldn't join my grandmothers crocheting group expecting them to start talking about NASCAR and farting in the shower. Lay chilly girl.

hctrouble25
    Firehouse.com Guest

ntvill: I see your point too...thanks for humor, it was very needed. Take care.

Althea Forhan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Why is this a controvecial issue? You'll have to excuse me, after all I am a child of the '90s. But women have just as much a place in the fire service as anyone else--male, female, slave, free, blue-eyed, brown-eyed, gay, "Straight" Muslim, Christian, etc. The people who don't belong in the fire service are the ones who try to limit who can join to those that are exactly like themselves.

When I did Civil War reenacting there was NO problem with women as reenactors. EVERYONE treated EVERYONE with an immeasurable amount of respect. Why can't it be the same in the fire service? Both fields have something in common--TEAMWORK!

I'd love to be just another firefighter, but when someone says "What are you doing here?" I'm just like "I'm here with the FD, remember?" I know a department where it trully makes no difference whether you belong to one group or another.

Althea

ntvilleff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Simple....because it is. (to all the bleeding heart liberals who think every one should have their own opinion until it differs from theirs...don't say the word dog in front of my dog..lest it might think it's a dog....)

Althea Forhan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Because why?

(I can keep doing this--it hasn't been that long scince I was two)

ntvilleff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well we all gotta grow up someday. Maybe someday you can too. HC graciously saw the point I was making.

Althea, I'm sure that one day in the far future I will see your name in the headlines because you're suing the boyscouts for not letting your daughter join. (not that you'd be the first one)

eCappy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Egotistical and self-righteous?

Is that really the best insult you can come up with? I thought you said you were a firefighter!

No answers huh? Well, I guess you have no interest in any of the many issues confronting NJ's firefighters. Oh, I forgot - you're still DECADES behind hung up on that 'female' thing.

YAWN! ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

CRISPY*
    Firehouse.com Guest

HEY Althea Forhan,

AND ONE DAY AT BAND CAMP

hot DAMN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

You know why this is an issue? Because unlike racial issues, which were wrong to begin with and had no basis in fact (Because this person is white,black,red, yellow they can't be a fireman because they are too smart,dumb,short etc.) the issue of women in the firehouse is a very real issue that effects me on a personal level every day I go to the firehouse. When a person is of a different race than myself I am not worried that they are not strong enough to lift the ladders that might be needed to rescue me from a flashover on a upper floor. When a person is of a different race than me I am not worried that they might be sleeping with other members of my crew and thereby destroying my crew integrity. If you can't see my view point for what it is : NOT SEXIST JUST REALISTIC then everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

PA Volunteer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, you wanted to hear experiences w/ women in the firehouse, so here goes ... we've had five. One lasted less than a week (and no, not because of abuse or whatever, she literally came to one drill and that was the only thing anyone ever saw of her, we didn't even have a chance to abuse her). Two knew their limitations and never really bothered to try to do anything, except be a gopher, etc. One was a stupid, flirty, slut - slept w/ a guy on the crew ... and that wasn't the only reason she was stupid - and she couldn't do the work either. And the other one was stupid, and she didn't know her limitations - this was the worst case scenario. She was there for the attention from the guys and the other perks. She also slept w/ a guy on the crew, and started a rumor that she slept w/ that guy's buddy (yes, she was mildly psycho). So, where are we now? You'll notice that all of this is in past tense. We're back to all male, and things are running just fine. There certainly have been plenty of males who couldn't cut it ... but you asked about experiences w/ females. I think it's possible for a female to do well as a FF ... I just haven't seen it happen yet.

Stay Safe.

[This message has been edited by PA Volunteer (edited 06-15-2001).]

TheChronic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I like women - firehouse - outhouse - penthouse - my house - anyhouse.

AXMAN620
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

HI Y'ALL, I KNOW THAT PEOPLE READ THIS AND IF YOUR FROM THE OL' SCHOOL YA'R A THINKIN' THAT WOMEN FOLK DON'T BELONG IN NO FAR HOUSE!
    IF THATS THE CASE THEN CHECK YOR S@#* AT THE DOOR. YEARS AGO, I WAS INVOLVED WITH THIS HUGE DEBATE, IT WAS TWO FOLD. WE WERE A SMALL TOWNSHIP F.D WITH ABOUT 18 MEMBERS, AND TWO TRUCKS, 3 SECTIONS OF HOSE THAT WORKED...Y'ALL GIT THE IDEA. ANYHOW, A COUPLE MOVED INTO OUR AREA, THE MAN CALLED THE CHEIF AND SAID THEY BOTH WERE FIRFIGHTERS FROM OUT WEST AND WANTED TO JOIN OUR LITTLE FAMILY, SOUNDS COOL ... SO MEETING NIGHT DRAWS DOWN ON US AND ABOUT HALF WAY THROUGH, WALK'S IN THIS CUTE LITTLE LADY BUILT TO KILL AND RIGHT ON HER HEELS CAME THIS BIG HULK OF A BLACK MAN..... TABOO IN SOUTHEAST OHIO BACK THEN.....SO THE MAN... GREG... FELT THE HOSTILITIES FROM THE ROOM AND WAS NEVER HEARD FROM AGAIN. BUT, THE LAGY...SALLY.. WAS RAW-HIDE TOUGH AND WANTED ON. SHE WAS BORN IN HELL AND LIVED FOR FIRE! SO THREE MONTHS LATER, WHEN SHE WOULD NOT GO AWAY THE BIG VOTE CAME WE WERE ALL DISCUSSIN' THE ISSUE. NOW AS FOR ME I AM THE FIRST ONE TO VOICE MY OPINION, BUT I WAS BEIN' QUIET THAT NIGHT AND JUST READIN' THE ROOM. SO MY ***. CHIEF ASK WHAT I THOUGHT ON THE MATTER. NOW MY PAW' HAD A SAYIN' FOR EVERY OCCASION AND I FIRST TOLD THEM THAT WHAT THEY DID TO HER OL' MAN WAS WRONG. DADDY ALWAYS SAID " IF YOU GIVE A MAN 10 MIN. YOU CAN FIND A BETTER REASON TO HATE HIM OTHER THAN THE COLOR OF HIS SKIN"... WORDS TO LIVE BY Y'ALL AND AS FOR HER I SAID IT IN MY USUAL MILD MANNER STYLE " IF WE'RE IN A HOUSE, AND AN I BEAM FALLES ON MY NOGGIN' I DONT CARE IF YA' GOT A CO#^ OR A CU&@ YOU BETTER HAVE THE BALLS TO PULL ME OUT. WITH THAT WE VOTED AND SHE WAS ACCEPTED ON TO THE DEPT. SHE PROVED HER-SELF TIME AND TIME AGAIN IN BATTLE... AFTER THE OLD OFFICERS WERE GIVEN THE BOOT I WENT TO THEIR HOUSE AND INVITED GREG BACK.. THEY WERE TWO OF THE FINEST PEOPLE I EVER SERVED WITH....

------------------
    SEE YA' @ THE BIG ONE!

Thread Information