Danny Beebe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Vounteer reinbursment

I am the chief of a small town volunteer department. Our population is 994 . I have recently had a sroke and I am goning to retire from work in a few days. I am not old enough to draw ssi and will need to keep my insurance intack. I can stay on my employers insurance for three years but I have to pay the hole premimum( I work for the city) I have found out that some small towns pay their volunteer chief a small salary and some do pay a health insurance for them . to make a long story short our city recorder says that no Volunteer department is paid in any way for their services . Am I wrong to ask the City to help men after I retire by paying a health insurance for me?

If you are a small town close to this size and you recieve any copensation please let me know so I can be preppared when I do ask. I have been on this dept for 23 years and have been chief going on 8 years now and have never asked for anything for myself.

Waiting for replys.

------------------

ntvilleff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Brother Dan,

I am sorry to hear about your stroke. I think it is probably too late for you to try and get insurance for yourself now. (although you can still try) I'm afraid it will look too self-serving considering your situation. I think it would still be a very noble idea to go forth with it anyhow for future firefighter so that they may have a better retirement. Who knows...what goes around comes around....maybe something good will come out of it for you.

comwhite
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm not sure about our fire chief, but I do know in the state of Florida, if an elected official serves for 20 years they are due retirement. Some of those in small towns serve on a voluntary basis, with no compensation. I think I would check into the state law on retirement. It may be completely different, but it's worth a try.

Also, as a city employee were any of your daily duties associated with being the fire chief? If so, I think the argument could be made that you were compensated for some of the work, thereby qualifying you for retirement from the department also. I think I'd check all avenues, including an attorney's opinion.

hctrouble25
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have recently become participating members in the Length of Service Awards Program or LOSAP. This program is based on years of service in the department and works on a point system - you must attend so many meetings, drills, and calls to recieve the benefits derived from this program. The program, known as LOSAP is a retirement savings plan. Approved by the NJ State Legislature in 1998 and launched in January, the program allows towns and fire districts to set aside a retirement savings package for volunteers.
    For more info you can go to www.losaplan.com. Hope this helps...take care.

Ross Johnson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Like HCTROUBLE25 I come from a NJ and we have the LOSAP program as well. Like he stated, it works like a small pension plan based on years of service and active involvment. In PA, I work with a department that pays its volunteers for EMS calls- 10$ a call. But they run over 1800 EMS runs and bill for each one so they have the financial resources to do it. It becomes an extremely sensitive subject because once you start becoming paid for yoru activities, you are no longer a volunteer in some peoples eyes. I have a very mixed view on the whole subject. Good luck with your search and I hope it all works out.

------------------
    Gettysburg Fire Department (PA) FF/NREMT-B
    Brookside Engine Company,Div of Mendham Twp Fire Dept(NJ) FF
    Mendham Twp EMS EMT-B
    These views are my own and do not reflect those of these departments

[This message has been edited by Ross Johnson (edited 06-12-2001).]

hctrouble25
    Firehouse.com Guest

No big deal...but I am a she not a he. Thanks.

Chiefkeo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Danny,

I serve as chief in a town of about 2,000. I recieve $25 per month as chief's pay. NOt much but it helps pay the extra phone bills. The only insurance provided is Workman's Comp. In the town of Alta Iowa I know that their chief recieves $1200/year ***. Chief $600/year and Tres. and Sec each recieve $300/ year. So your recorder is wrong in sayin the volunteers recieve no pay of any kind it does happen. Not to mention the per call pay that we recieve. For us it is $10 for city calls and $5 for rural calls. Hope this helps you out.

------------------
    I shall fear no evil, for I am a Firefighter

ttjjss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Danny,
    I hated to hear about your medical troubles, you have been a great representative of the fire service here in Arkansas for years, On the pay issue, our chief gets so much a month paid on his cell phone bill, and even though we dont receive any compensation, many small volunteer depts do get paid a small amount for each drill and call they make, does this make them anything other than volunteers, I dont think so,if anything it should be considered a reimbursement for gas expenses and wear and tear on their personal vehichles. Our dept here in Weiner pays all of our LOPFI dues so does that make us compensated firefighters ? but of course you cant draw any retirement from LOPFI until 55 i believe. I guess your stroke didnt happen on duty did it, it would have been covered by workmans comp then. your city recorder needs to check around, there are many volunteer depts that pay at least a small amount to their firefighters ,I think they should at least pay part of your premiums, especially since you have devoted so much of your life to the community.
    Dont let up and stay safe,
    Captain Tyler Sitzer,
    Weiner Vol Fire & Rescue Dept.

xenophon13
    Firehouse.com Guest

Where I am the volunteer's get a $3000.00 tax credit if the score enough "points", which are gained by answering a certain percent of calls, doing so much training, and work around the station. There is even rummor that the credit may be boosted to $5000.00 next year. Also if you have I belive 25 yrs service you are elligable for the county's retirement program, which is pretty good.

------------------
    When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

Lt. Wayne Burdett
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Danny,
    Sorry to here about your stroke here at Camden the Vols are paid $15.00 pr run but do not get any insurance as far as I know except they are covered under workmans comp while at a call.

Thread Information