Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    gyver
    Firehouse.com Guest

responding to any incident where a child or teenager is involved.

being a volunteer in the county making calls at 3a.m. and driving up to 25 miles to make them. getting home in time to go to work or having to call in and tell the boss you'll be late again.then while your trying to eat lunch and discuss the previous events with fellow vollies,some ignorant Fkr tell's you your nothing but a volunteer and that it's not worth calling you because the house is gone by the time we get there anyway.
    but it's worth it when you cut a family out of a vehicle and you save that family, the looks on the faces when they know that they are going to be ok. the thank you's and god blesses is more reward than they can imagine.

crashman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

The toughest part is dealing with people who, for whatever reason, think they are the rightful individuals entitled to wear the badge and that others, who may be different from them, cannot or should not be doing the job.

amazes me how individuals could become involved in one of the most self sacrificing professions, yet not appreciate others who have made the same decision.

AFD11EXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

i'd say wittnessing fatalities.

jeg532
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

the toughest thing is getting called out to a 2 vehicle wreck only to find out it was your wifes best friend that you just put in a body bag,then you have to go home and tell your wife what happened when she asks you if it was a bad wreck and if we knew them. Or when you get called out to a wreck and realize that your fellow firefighters wife is the one in the car pinned under a semi trailer and is dead before you have a chance to help her,but whats worse is you have to go back to the station and tell your buddy who didn`t make the truck that his wife is dead.

canman
    Firehouse.com Guest

When a brother or sister dies just doing their job also infant and child deaths.

toneloc177
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

being in shape . . .and not the nice round one which i happen to be in!

postal79
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

hearing from the bystanders that you know that were at the fire before we the (volunteer) fire department were, that all the neighbors were bitching and moaning " where is the fire department whats taking so long are they ever gonna get here" especially when as a vol. dept we are usually on scene in 4-5 minutes tops

when its volunteer, if your not making a
    difference and volunteering shut up and join or just shut up

sorry i know the first sentence is a little confusing :-)

[This message has been edited by postal79 (edited 06-22-2001).]

Mike DeVuono
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Having to see pictures of the children of our fallen brothers wearing their father's helmet at their funeral.

------------------
    Mike DeVuono
    FF/EMT

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

These are my opinions and not those of my department.

jspears
    Firehouse.com Guest

The toughest part of the job....missing out on family time and activities. My 4 sons and wife say they understand that it is my job, but I miss not being there when I should have been. They respect me for what I do, but I dont want to miss seing them grow up.

1SG
    Firehouse.com Guest

One word - Administration.

toneloc177
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

(amen mike - amen)

Drewbo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

That I cannot take home and fit the ladder truck into my 2 car garage!!!

------------------
    * God Looked down and
    * saw this was bad, it
    * was bad, it was Drew

[This message has been edited by Drewbo (edited 06-24-2001).]

Thread Information