Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    pfr172
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question TOUGHEST PART OF BEING A FIREMAN?

What would you consider to be the toughest part of your job?

Neptune 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Witnessing all kinds of tragedies, ranging from fires to cardiac arrests, watching citizians homes burn, knowing someone is inside and it's too late for them, watching a local business that you patrionize burning, witnessing the death of friends in vehicle accidents, deaths of elderly neighbors, we see things that the general public tries to put in the back of their minds, they know it's there, but try to not think of it.....this not only goes for firefighters, but EMS and Police personal also.

ffguy083
    Firehouse.com Guest

Being on a fire when a kid dies. Or a wreck where a younger kid dies.

Also when you have several bad runs in a row.

robbie
    Firehouse.com Guest

One word "POLITICS" we are trained for almost every thing we do or at least have a clue we might be subject to see or do many different things but no one tells you about all of the b.s. or a nicer way of putting it is all of the politics that we put up with on a day to day basis.

D Kelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

Personally: Being away from the family for 24-48 hours at a time during holidays, birthdays, etc.

Professionally: Dead kids and senseless waste of life.

SFD-129-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Puttin up with family who doesn't understand the need for training nights, meeting nights, crew weeks, monthly meetings, bingo sunday, and fire calls on top of that.

SFD-129-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Oh, and dealing with the uninformed. Ex: "why do you need all these trucks and firemen, its just two rooms of a hotel on fire. You should be able to handle it with an engine and a tanker."
    Go direct traffic.

LtStevieB82
    Firehouse.com Guest

Death is always hard. The worst is when it's a brother.

Of course, it's particularly hard to take calls in the middle of the night when I have to be up for work shortly thereafter.

SFD's comments about the uninformed, well, I wouldn't say that's the hardest part, just annoying. As a volunteer, my favorite is, "How long do you have to do this before you can be a real firefighter?"

Fire/Rescue43
    Firehouse.com Guest

Two things come to mind, the first is any time we have a call where a child is seriuosly injured or killed.

The other thing is the attitude of the general public, like the dirty looks and hand gestures you get will responinding in heavy traffic, I swear some of then think we are just out with red lights and siren wailing on a pleasure drive just to **** them off and make them late.

GreenCap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Apathetic attitude towards the fire service by the general public, and being loathed by politicians at the local, county, state, and federal level.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

With the exception of bingo sunday, all of the above!

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Along the same lines as Lt Stevie...
    As a volunteer and people ask when I am scheduled to work at the fire station? Then I tell them that I volunteer... The look they get on their faces as they say "Oh your not a professional firefighter?". I just look at them and say "We are all professionals some are just paid to be professional. I do it for free." Then I walk away while they still have this dumbfounded look on their faces.
    Now before anyone says I am starting the Career vs. Volunteer fight again. I am meerly stating that we are all professional (or should be). Paid or otherwise we do the same job.

As far as the absolute toughest it is a toss up. I think the poem " I wish you could..." sums it up pretty good.

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

ntvilleff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Overhauling in 90 degree weather w/80+ percent humidity in full gear and packs.

Break-N-Entry
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

For me the toughest things are attending firefighter wakes and funeral services, and then going out on the next alarm without our buddy at our side.

FHandz17
    Firehouse.com Guest

Divorce $$$$$$$$$$$ "She got the GOLD MINE, I got the SHAFT"

Seriously, Pediactric calls Fire or EMS

sloepoke1
    Firehouse.com Guest

HMMMMM Tough but good topic. I agree with most that has been mentioned so far with the exception of the bingo thing. I always found that sort of thing fun. But the one thing that has yet to be mentioned is runs that envolve a member of your personal family. That is the worst ever!!!

bjhfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

I can agree with the pediatric calls as being bad. However, for me I would have to say when you arrive on scene and find out that it is a friend or worse than that, someone in your own family. That makes it truly tough.

BFD847
    Firehouse.com Guest

On the home front it would be the shift work. I do love it but it does disrupt life from time to time. I have four little girls. This places quite a strain on my wife who also works.

At work pretty much has been mentioned peds in any serious call.

firefightin'medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Child fatalities or serious injury, the countless runs to the same address where someone is being repeatedly attacked by a family member but keeps refusing to press charges,seeing the faces of average citizens who have lost everything they own due to a fire,time away from my family's activities.

E229Lt
    Firehouse.com Guest

\\What would you consider to be the toughest part of your job?\\

Retiring!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information