Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    E229Lt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Worst firehouse meal

For those of you who cook and eat in the firehouse, what is the one meal you hate to hear you're eating that tour?

For me, it's; half a chicken a man, or as we call it "YARDBIRD"

Dr. Law
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

We're vollys here, but we do have an occaisional breakfast or dinner for either ourselves or the public (as a fund raiser).
    The worst thing they serve, I would have to say is a local thing - hog nuts! And I don't mean as in peanuts. Real live (dead) hog testicles straight from the local locker (butcher) plant.

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Bratwurst, sauer kraut, German potatoe salad,
    butter beans. Tastes great but SCBA is needed an hour later due to the toxic gas emmissions. Danny Quayle taught me to spell potatoe.

wrongWAY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

We took turns at KP back when I was a GS5 Fed FF (24 on - 24 off IAFF F-169) and I hated Squire's "tripe night" the most. The fresh "caught at midnight" Bayonne eels that Mr. T served up smoked, baked, and sometimes fried were horrible and the galley stunk for days.

The B-E-S-T was the mountain of hand carved pastrami I'd bring in from Katz's (Hey LT: I'm sure you know 'bout Katz's) NOBODY ever complained - never any leftover.

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Worst Firehouse meal I ever had was blood sausage(didn't know what it really wss when I tasted it). When I lived in "bush" Alaska I'd avoid the moose head soup(brains & all)....

Jeff

SFD-129-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

"Not too many people have a taste for testicles any more."

SlowPoke
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

E229lt, One firefighter here worked part-time for the PA at LAG and used to bring dozens of airline meals in. Everything tasted the same - horrible.

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'll relate a story from my dad, a Philly firefighter for 33 years -

When he retired, one of the parting gifts that the guys at Engine 35 gave him was a bottle marked "Joe's Favorite Seasoning"...and filled with cigarette ashes.

------------------
    J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey wrong way, Ed never told me about the eel when I worked with him. Then again he doesn't even know how to cook. He brought in Pork Roll once, I can't believe some of you guys in NJ, pay a deli to keep SPAM in a roll shape.

Anyway my worst was actually simple grilled cheese. A guy I worked with as a fed, could cook like Emril, except for simple stuff. The grilled cheese, ended up as black and as hard as hockey pucks. And yes Ed ate them.

============================== ==============
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We had a guy on my group who would cook pasta until you could sip it through a straw...the term "al dente" was not in his vocabulary!

I once cooked myself a chicken and veggie stir fry ( the other guys on my crew were sending out for pizza...again! ). I added one tiny habanero pepper to the wok...it tasted great, but while I was cooking it the kitchen was declared an SCBA zone...the habanero made your eyes water!

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

CFD14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

I can't say I have ever had a bad meal, I cook most of my own. We do have some nasty stuff growing in the fridge though. A couple of weeks ago I grilled hamburgers and brat's. One guy grabbed the mayo out and slapped some on his bun. He told me he thought his hamburger tasted funny and wondered what I had done to it. I showed him the date on the mayo jar.
    January 2000.

Could probably start a new thread on what is in the fridge or the freezer.
    We have about 120 lbs. of Rocky Mountain Oysters in the freezer. Although we will be cooking about 40 lbs. of them on June 22nd for the retirement party for one of our 20+ year members.

FHandz17
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

We had a guy mix marinara sauce with alfredo sauce over pasta (the wagon wheele shaped ones), it was horrible. It was called

"Orange Wheeles"

Firediver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Here in Louisiana, we'll eat just about anything. One guy brought in some Nutria, which looks like a half beaver/half giant rat, and tastes like a NY sewer (no offence to NY). We've had deer, duck, goose, turtle, frog legs, racoon, gar fish, rabbit, etc.

------------------
    Craig Walker

stay low....stay safe....BUT GET YOU SOME!!!!

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work with a bunch of non-cultured REDNECKS. I am SICK and TIRED of Roast Beef, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans and Corn......

Oh and god forbid they bring in dinner rolls or biscuits- They just drop a loaf of white bread on the table!!!!

Then I laugh when they bitch when I make something like Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli, or Lasagne.....

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

LOL...I'm loving this thread!

We don't have very many firehouse meals...although we've occassionally had grinders or pizza while cleaning up after a major fire.

Many years ago, the week before Memorial Day at the end of May, we had the local Newspaper reporter over, and the Chief is schmoozing him. Makes coffee.

Takes out the milk and goes to pour. And nothing. Nada. Damn near a gallon of milk, completely devoid of liquid. Look at the expiration date....eeeeeeewwwwwwww...well , it seems we bought the milk for the EMT Class Extrication Drill...which is held in January. At least 5 month old milk is behind the smelling sour stage...

Mr.Meaner
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

BAD: Tongue on rye with mustard.
    GOOD: Pastrami on bialy with mustard.

Kyle Wickman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Hey ALSfirefighter, Pork Roll or Taylor ham is great. It is the meat that made made Carnige Deli in nyc famous. Love the stuff and sometimes we will have it for breakfest. Taylor Ham and cheese! great stuff!

mongofire_99
    Firehouse.com Guest

Bubba's chili - she makes the worst chili you ever had! Might as well have some of Chicken Alfredo with lasagne. I like to eat and I ain't ever heard of that, but I hope bubba don't read this. If she does, I know she's gonna try that AND find a nutria. (I caught one of those things on a 12" blue fleck power worm once, thought I hooked the state record bucket mouth. They fight like nothing you've ever hooked, when I got it to the boat it scared the p$%s out of me, I thought it was a beaver....)

ArmyTruckCompany spice up that roast beef with a few jalapeno peppers in the bag or crock when it's cooking. Also, if you're having 'taters and corn, you got too many starches at one meal, not a very balanced diet .

And if a boy ain't makin his own biscuits the size of cat heads, he ain't a redneck.

A list of some of the other worst....

Panchos Resturaunt Menudo - one of the guys likes to get this on take out the day before and warm it back up.

Langua burritos

Turkey loaf

Fish tacos

Vege burgers (gimme a break)

Vege anything

Fake eggs

Key Lime pie made with protein powder.

Spam SOS

Spam fried rice

Hell, Spam or other "potted meat" anything

Unsorted, unwashed and unseasoned beans (he just pours 'em in the water and away they go).

firefightin'medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

My partner Greg's sausage gravy and biscuits-the stuff was so bad we threw it in the field next to our station and the wild animals stayed away from it!

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Kyle, actually your right, I like grabbing a pork roll n egg on a roll w/cheese in the am.

Dalmation,

Grinder huh, here we call em "wedges." That really screwed the boys up when I was in VA and the poor "NY style deli" owners would look at me like I was crazy when I asked for a Roast Beef Wedge. They actually wrote a newspaper article here on how many different names their are for a sanwich around the country. Wedge, grinder, hogie, submarine, sub, etc.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I did work with this guy who still is federal, who every dam thing he cooked he put barbecue sauce on it. Whether he bought it or not, if he cooked it, it had barbecue sauce on it. I love BBQ sauce, but not on every piece of meat everytime.

Thread Information