Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    mamaluke
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Firehouse vs. Fire Engineering

Firehouse mag usually has better pictures, but Fire Engineering has great articles. Its much more educational than Firehouse. Its better for training and picking up a few new tricks- so, I prefer Fire Engineering. How bout you?

570eck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well I kinda lean towards engineering myself, for the same reasons, but as far as websites firehouse wins hand down.

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

A few more posts like that and maybe the MagTeam will take the hint...

mongofire_99
    Firehouse.com Guest

Honestly, I think they all (FH/FE/FC/FR...)pretty much fill and cater to different aspects of the fire service. Here's how it seems to me regarding these two:

Firehouse is geared toward the average firefighter reader and the buffs. Great photos and human interest stories with some not too deep technical stuff. For extrication you can't beat FireHouses Ron Moore, who isn't from Texas, but got here as quick as he could.

Fire Engineering is way more technical and alot of our guys just ain't that interested in digging that deep into some of the stuff. They prefer for someone else to read it and pass the good stuff that may apply to us on.

It seems that both mostly use northeast city FDs for the majority of their writers and content, although they do fill out with some other stuff from across the nation. Not that some of the the NE stuff doesn't apply everywhere, you can always pick something up from Brannigan, Brennen, Dunn and the other east coasters, but we don't have too many basements and ballon frames here in my part of Texas.

Administrator

Just out of curiosity to go along with this thread, how would you compare the overall news, training and related content on Firehouse to print publications?

Thanks
    WebTeam

HOTDOG
    Firehouse.com Guest

Webteam,
    As far as news goes, there is no where else that I have found that a person can go and find countrywide news articles relating to the fire service. Many times these articles highlight problems departments face and opens the eyes of others as to the problem and possible solutions before it happens again.

The training aspects, especially downloadable drills are usefull tools in getting out of the same ol' stuff on drill night. I have used several myself to break the monotony of the same ol drills.

I get the magazine as home, as well as at the fire station. To be honest, I read more articles online than in the mag.

------------------
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

mongofire_99
    Firehouse.com Guest

how would you compare the overall news, training and related content on Firehouse to print publications?

I would rate it as good to better in all areas (general news and commentary) and definately better in some (training, photojournalism, breaking news).

McpFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

Webteam,
    I used to ignore FH for informative articles until about the last year. It has picked up several good people who contribute articles and such and has gone away from just buff stuff. I am about to start subscribing to your mag since there is actual informative content in it, along with the other ones.

sconfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Firehouse is very informative. I recently talked with Peter Matthews, of FH, and stated that Firehouse is International. They sell all over the world. I would like to see a section about foreign departments. We had some fellows travel from Britian to ride along with us for a few days and the wealth of knowledge they had was unreal! I cant say enough about Ron Moore... Extrication "U" is great!

------------------
    Captain Grant Mishoe
    North Charleston Fire Department
    North Charleston, SC
    ------------------
    "If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of Heaven for kindling the first fire on Earth, How ought all the Gods to honor the men who make it their professional business to put them out."

Firekatz04
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by WebTeam:

Just out of curiosity to go along with this thread, how would you compare the overall news, training and related content on Firehouse to print publications?

Thanks
    WebTeam
    I think that there is no comparison to anything on the internet. I especially love MOST of the dialogue... until we start bashing one another. I've gotten so many good ideas from some of the other f/f's on board.
    As far as the mag goes, I agree with Mongo. I've seen a few "original" things in print that I loved. There was a series a few years back that did various gasses, ie, LP, Natural gas, CO, and I think a few others. We had them on the bulletin board until they yellowed and fell off the wall. Actually, have you guys ever thought about reprinting some of this stuff. I know it's difficult, because of all the new stuff, to go back and "rehash" takes up valuable space. Maybe you could put it on the web and we could print out what we want... there's an idea for you to toss around.
    Anyway, FH (mag) is GREAT for the basics, and there are ALWAYS new people that need better basics.

Stay low;
    Mike

Plug-Ugly
    Firehouse.com Guest

I prefer Fire Engineering. I've learned much more from that magazine than all the others combined and that's the reason I subscribe to fire mags to begin with. I'm really not that interested in looking at everyone elses apparatus and stations, or reading about their fires unless there's something to be learned from it. I'd much rather read about new techniques or ideas that can help me in my job and Fire Engineering is where I find it.

SFD-129-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

I gotta agree with Plug, if I chose only one (and I did), it would be fire engineering. It seems to be more of the bread and butter of what I do. Not to say FH isn't somebody elses bread and butter, but I just felt there was too much advertising and fluff.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

As far as news, I rate Firehouse.com at #1. There is a lot of information, breaking stories and the downloadable drills are a great training tool. It has the largest number of people registered in the forums.

I also visit firefightersforums.com (I moderate a forum there), withthecommand.com, firefighting.com, fire-rescuevillage.com and many others on a regular basis.

Firehouse Magazine is very good...I have been a subscriber since 1981...the year I came on the job. Firehouse has more of a news reporting style of publication, with the "on the job" reports, scuttlebutt and editorials and columns. Ron Moore's Extrication U is fabulous!

Fire Engineering has more technical information; it's a good source of training materials.

Fire Rescue Magazine is also good. While it primarily focuses on west coast departments, there is still a lot of information that everyone can learn...as their motto says..."read it today, use it tomorrow"...

Fire Chief magazine is also a good read. It deals more with management issues, but as an officer I have to deal with many of the same issues in some form or another. Remember, the buck gets passed upwards, stops at the Chief's office and turns to crap...crap flows downhill. Sometimes it stops at your level, other times you can pass it along to the next lowest level...and so on and so on.

National Fire and Rescue is okay.

We get Fire Chief, Fire Rescue and National Fire and Rescue at the station. I bring in Firehouse and my Deputy brings in Fire Engineering (when we are done!)

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

Thread Information