robbie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry firefighters laid off in n.c.

This is an article out of the local news paper this morning. This is a real story, i will fax or send this article out if anyone needs a copy of it.

The town of surf city f.d in n.c. has laid off two of the four full time ff's to use the $67,000.00 to help buy of all thing a new fire truck.The town manager said its puts the beach town in line with other cities similar to his as far as fewer paid ff's and the same or better fire service.He went on to say that they are not in any serious financial trouble but it was a better use for the money some where else.
    Some of the dept. volunteers are not happy and one Lt. said the change could slow response time. The manager said $40k will go toward the truck and the rest will go to a new position in the steets and parks dept. This is a real slap in the face for this dept. and to the fire service. I hope this trend stays in surf city and other government officials dont start this mess. I hope the best for our brothers in S.C.F.D.

robbie
    Firehouse.com Guest

test

FHandz17
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Hey brother, just a tip. End your post with a survey about leather fire helmets or red vs. yellow trucks, and you will get plenty of responses.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I think the town manager is in for a rude awakening when the shiny new fire truck shows up at a fire and there isn't enough personnel to use it as it is intended...maybe they can cross train the guy from the Parks department...

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

firefighterbeast
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

The "methodology"behind it is most likely political, there have been many small towns in NC that see fire fighters as a strain on services because they sit around. Many small towns in NC are facing budgetcutbacks because of the State's overspending.

BUT where this so called manager got the idea of laying off Firefighters to purchase an apparatus has a lot to be desired. Surf City is a Turist town this summer when the day calls don't get answered the manager and Chief will have to answer.

There is a shoratge of qualified firefighters in North Carolina now many volunteer departments are struggling to keep membership up and City Departments are going out of state to hire people. The last recruit class here had 3 out of state persons from Maryland and NY. Its tuff right now to find motivated persons to do this job. When some "manager" makes this kind of decisions It makes you wonder.

The opinions expressed here in are mine alone and do not refelect the opinions of my employeer.

------------------
    FIREFIGHTERBEAST
    THINK SAFE TRAIN SAFE BE SAFE

Billy Mott
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Remindes me of the joke about the family who sold their only car....for gas money. I see its more important to keep the Parks drinking fountain's clean then to keep the citizens safe. i guess I'll stay away from this town for awhile.

Tillerman-6
    Firehouse.com Guest

This story fits in with your's as Bone-Head Award nominees.

A company who shall remain nameless had a junior executive that thought it would increase productivity if the employees were given lap-top computers to take home. A big project could be worked on as time permitted without the employees staying at their desks. There by raising morale. After the new lap-tops arived another junior executive gave a stern warning to the higher-ups "But what if someone steals their lap-top?" The senior execs were in a panic and in their haste to curb the imaginary thefts, chained every one of the lap-tops to the employee's desks.

Stupidity isn't hereditary, it comes with the job of being in charge.

If you don't think it can happen to you , guess again. Someone should investigate the insurance co. and find out how it would affect there insurance if they had all driver/op on the trucks. Lower insuance prem. for the average Joe and the small business appeals to alot of folk.

They won't do the right thing until someone gets hurt, dies, or another politicians house burns down because the department didn't have enough personnel to fight the fire. Politicians and the Fire Service rarely go hand in hand.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: hctrouble25 ]
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Forum Member

Put on another post.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: FireLt1951 ]

I own a house on Topsail Island, where Surf City is located. Their station on the island was destroyed by Hurruicane Fran in 1996 and was rebuilt about 2 years ago. It's a nice stations, I wonder if the town spent too much on the building? The area has lots of growth, so I would guess tax base in not a problem. Probabley a political thing. I might be wrong, but I've only seen one small park in the city. Kinda show where fire protection and life safety falls in the city's grand scheem of things.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: BG204 ]

Sounds like it's time for a New Town Manager...

If 67K is going to break the bank... Ckeck his pockets...there many ways a town the size of Surf City can come up with pocket change like that... We are talking our LIFE's not parking spots...

Your Dept Must get into game, call the Mayor if you must, and it sounds like you must.

Remember the Town mamager works for the town. He is NOT KING...

Also talk to some of your local spokes people that are fire dept. frendly to talk to the town commisners... GET THERE EAR...

Thread Information