Firefighter430
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Ventilation Saws

What type of vent saw does your department use? (Cutters Edge. K12, Ventmaster, etc)

PA Volunteer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cutter's Edge ... always starts, cuts almost anything, never gets jammed or gummed up.

Stay Safe

Fire/Rescue43
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department has a Ventmaster and a Wacker Rotary Saw. Of the two I like the Ventmater better, starts easy, the blade doesn't bind easily.

Saty safe

FFD#35
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cutters Edge.

I have nothing but good things to say about this saw. Easy to start, easy to use, cuts a roof like it's hot butter.

MB1213635
    Firehouse.com Guest

Partner K-650, K-950, or K-1200 are all very good saws. I haven't used the K-700 but I hear that it is the best saw partner makes.

beetle102
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We have a cutters edge thats about 8-10 years old never had a problem with. At the fire expo in harrisburg, Pa this year we bought a partner k950 fd., Haven't got to use it other than practice so far but has nice power to turn blade without slowing saw.

newasstchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We have a Cutters Edge.

The first time I used it, I had to double check the plywood. I didn't think I cut it.

Very smooth, very fast, very reliable.

cfr3504
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unfortunately, all that we have is a Homelite 18" chainsaw to do ventilation with.

newasstchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

cfr3504,
    Don't feel bad, until about 4 months ago, all we had was an axe.

FFShooty
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cutters Edge

FTM-PTB-EGH

BFD847
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use Univents Pro Saw.
    I have not had the chance to use any other "vent" saw. But these work very well. The newest of the two is the best with a decompression valve to ease starting starts every time. The carbide tipped chain is awsome tear up just about any thing. Plunge depth gauge for added protection.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all your replies.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Each of our 2 towers have:
    2 Cutters Edge (w/o those chain guards )
    1 Partner 950 (12")
    1 Uni-fire 1100 (14")

9 times out of 10 we use the cutters edge for roof work
    Keep Safe!

Forum Member

Gas axe.Personal favorite Cutters Edge.Outside of that selectio b:T50 Stihl with wheel saw.T.C.

Cutters Edge, Cutters Edge, Cutters Edge...There are no other saws that even can come close.

Got Ventmasters w/bullet chains on the trucks here, work nice.

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Chainsaws are used for cutting trees! For making cuts in a roof or to gain entry the saw we use is the K-12 Partner saw!

The problem with using chainsaws is that then tend to bind up and can only cut wood. Partner Saws, with the proper blade, can cut metal, wood, masonry. They have a high rpm so that when an obstacle is encountered in a roof such as heavy timber, bolt or nail the saw will just continue to cut through it. A chainsaw however will get caught up, throwing the saw and perhaps breaking the chain. Another plus towards the Partner Saw is that you can change out the blades very quickly to meet the needs of the type of cutting that you are doing.

Forum Member

Echo Quickvent. 13" dropnose bar carbide chain. Shingles plywood nuts bolts nails everything goes Excellent saw, carbide chain is expensive but worth every penny.

we have two cutters edge saws on the squad yes with those chain guard things and my fave.. the 15 year old homelite 14" circular saw I think I am still the only one who likes that old thing still dose a nice job. put one of those big mean "warthog" blades on it and hold on

[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: wsfiremn ]
    wsfiremn
    Member IACOJ
    FTM PTB FSU EGH RFB 9-11
    Double Duece
    PROUD MEMBER
    FOOLS INTERNATIONAL

We have two of the cutters edge's with bullet chains a partner K12, and four regular chain saws with carbide chains. Different uses for diferent saws. All have a need k-12 for concrete and steel. Cutters edge for regular roofing shingles and plywood etc. and regular saws for trees etc. also a pretty good back up for the cutters edge.
    Keep it safe !
    paradise Firefighter

We use the Cutter's Edge with carbide blades, thank God we got rid of the bullet chains they are way to slow when you are above a good fire. We also have a K-12.

Thread Information