Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post NY Daily New's disgrace to our fallen brothers

I just wanted some of the other brothers and sisters from other parts of the country to see the photo's that the NY Daily News printed on Pages 2 and 3 of their newspaper. I think it is a disgrace that they would show these pictures. I certainly wouldn't want my family to see that. The pictures on the page in color were printed in Black and white in the 6/18/01 morning paper. (www.nydailynews.com/2001-06-18/news_and_views/city_beat/a-115314.asp)

If it doesn't link through, go to WWW.dailynews.com, and click on the related stories to the FDNY LODD articles, on the bottom of that page, you will find the 6/18 story for "3 firefighters killed." While I think those pictures could impact the public on exactly the risks we take, I still do not think they should have put those pictures on there.

============================== =============
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

NCRSQ751
    Firehouse.com Guest

The link should be to nydailynews.com or better yet....
    http://www.nydailynews.com/2001-06-1...t/a-115314.asp

I agree, they may make good 'news' to some but I'm sure the families are appalled.

------------------
    Susan Bednar
    Forsyth Rescue Squad (Chief)
    NCTF-1
    Griffith Volunteer FD

hfdfao
    Firehouse.com Guest

What is the world coming to? is there no more respect for the fallen?

Alsfirefighter, thanks for the heads up, I took the opportunity to "express" my opinion to the staff at the news.

Dave

------------------
    May your vents be leeward, your searches be negative, and your overhaul complete......
    FTM-PTB-EGH

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think it is irresponsile reporting. No thought was given to those grieving the loss of three of NY's Bravest. The medias only focus is getting the story regardless of who they hurt in the process. I am sure some people are out there saying that they have a right to know what is happening in their city, but what happens when a firefighters child picks up the paper and sees this? What does that do to them?

ProudFireWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

As the wife of a firefighter, it is very difficult to view images of distraught, injured or fallen firefighters. Coping with the loss of a spouse under these circumstances must be nearly impossible. To be shown these images is just adding insult. My heart goes out to the FDNY family, and pray that your tears of sadness are replaced by tears of joy in the memories of your brothers.

------------------
    Leading you when needed, following when asked, standing beside you always.

FF's SignfOthr
    Firehouse.com Guest

From the captions, it appears the photos are of injured firefighters, but I can't be positive without names. I hope that is the case. The photos of the "fatigued firefighter" and the "hose crew" do help the public understand the hazards of the job, and hopefully help boost community support.

I agree that there should never be pictures of any victims in the paper. That would be very disrespectful and traumatic for the family, friends, and coworkers. I know it would make me sick to see a picture of my boyfriend, injured or fallen, on the front page of the paper.

I pray that those pictures do not include any of the three fallen firefighters. Their families' last memory should be of their loved one at home, not some "news selling" photo of their last moments on earth.

NCFiremedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Agreed, these pictures are not what needed to be displayed. I'm particularly upset over the picture of them doing CPR on a fallen brother!!!! I can't stand it when the bloodsucking media is around on a regular scene, but this somehow makes them even lower in my book!!

ceno2749
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

NC Firemedic,
    I agree 110% with you. The CPR photo is totally inappropriate. Anything to sell a damn paper!!!

May God Bless and put his hand on the fallen 3 and their friends, family, and their coworkers at this time!

[This message has been edited by ceno2749 (edited 06-19-2001).]

EFDems841
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with everyone's posts 1000% We had a rather large rescue-turned-into-recovery here January of 2000. A 5 y/o girl and her brother fell into an icy river. The brother was rescued right away, but the current swept his little sister away. It turned into the largest rescue effort in Massachustts history. Week long effort with depts/squads, etc from around the northeast and beyond participating. during the weekend, we had over 1,000 people out along the riverbanks looking...plus all the support groups bringing coffee, food, warm clothing, etc. As you might have guessed...MEDIA FRENZY...There were...it seemed like.. almost as much media crew coverage as tyhere were rescuers. And talk about getting in the way. I almost knocked one cameraman in the river by accident becuase he was right in the way when we were checking a diver after he got out of the water. Also, one local station had a lawsuit against the town and the PD due to "limited access to the scene" they felt they should've been allowed right down with us.
    As a side note, I work for a public access tv station and have gone to college for braodcasting. One of the reasons I'm not working at a "major network" station is the "get the story at any cost" mindset.
    Well, I've rambled on enough. Stay safe.

Neptune 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unless you saw the actual copy of the daily news, you would have no idea just how big those pictures are......the CPR picture is almost half a page, you can read the writing on the fallen brothers shirt.....it made me sick to look at it.

ff21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

in my town we have a very good repetion with the tv news station
    but the local newspaperdoes get along with any emergency agency
    the law should say that the media should not be allowed on a scene until deemed safe bye the officer in charge so that pics l;ike these could never be taken
    just my two cents worth
    stay safe and have fun

Truckie5553
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Below is the copy of my post to the Daily News and their tasteless pictures used in covering the story. I urge everyone who took offense to this to let them know just how you feel. Lets let them know just how low and terrible it is to violate a family member just to get that "front page picture".

I just want to voice my utter disgust with the reporters and whoever else did this story and decided in the pictures that was used to cover it. Showing a picture of a firefighter who is having CPR perform on them is a terrible selection and a degrading slap in the face to the FDNY and the families of those firefighters. That is a picture that no one should have to ever see, nor should it be posted for the entire world to see. Im sure if it was a family member of one of the reporters that they wouldnt have a damn camera shoved in their face or rolling off a roll of film trying to get that dramatic shot that would make the "front page shot" so to speak. If you ever had to deal with a matter such as this, you would see just how disgusting this really is!

------------------
    Captain James Collier
    McMahan Fire Rescue
    KCTCS Area 6 Instructor

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

As a fireman, I saw nothing wrong with the pictures featured in the NY Daily News. I did not think it was a disgrace at all. What would you like to see, nice pictures of the members smiling?! It was a tragedy, what happened at that job out in Queens, and I think the pictures illustrated that fact!

I don't understand why you guys are against the pictures; why you're appauled and think it was a disgrace. It was real life. It happened!

[This message has been edited by GBordas (edited 06-20-2001).]

toneloc177
    Firehouse.com Guest

the Daily news is an f-n rag, meant for the bunch of illeterate, uneducated ghetto trash that the city is made up of. pictures speak volumes - and that should say alot because have you ever actually read a D.N. paper? there are more pictures than words. It's a RAG! Sensation journalism! Blood and guts? put it on the front page . . .of a firefighter having CPR preformed on him while being wheeled on a stretcher where two firefighters have already died? FRONT PAGE! What a bunch of fukin scumbags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    just what fellow firefighters and family members would like to see . . . really shows the 'despair' of the situation!

[This message has been edited by toneloc177 (edited 06-20-2001).]

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I belive a picture illustrating a scene is ok. I do not agree with pictures of victims. Be it medical/trauma/fire. I do not agree with that and makes me sick.

AXMAN620
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

FOR.....THE ......LOVE.......OF.........GO D!!!! I CANT EVEN COMMENT ON THIS...I PRAY TO THE ALL MIGHTY THAT THESE PEOPLE WOULD FOR ONE DAMN MIN. STOP AND THINK. ALL BROTHERS AND SISTERS PLEASE, THIS HAS BEEN A LONG 4 DAYS.......PLEASE FOR MY SAKE, BE CAREFULL....... GB, HOW IN THE HELL CAN YOU LOOK AT THOSE PICTURES, ESP. THE ONE THAT SHOWS THIS WARRIOR INTUBATED AND RECIVING CPR AND SAY IT IS OK?..WHAT IF IT WAS YOU? WOULD YOU WANT THE LAST IMAGE YOUR CHILD HAS OF YOU TO BE PORTRAYED LIKE THET?!!!! THINK ABOUT IT MAN!!!

------------------
    SEE YA' @ THE BIG ONE!

[This message has been edited by AXMAN620 (edited 06-20-2001).]

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

It's one thing to print a photo of a fire scene or firefighters operating it. It's entirely over the line when they print photos of our brothers in what could be the final moments of their lives. It may sell newspapers...but it is also a poor example of what passes for journalism. Sensationalism is more like it.

Freedom of the press is a constitutional right...but apparently knowing what is in good taste and appropriate is not.

God bless the FDNY 3

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

CaptKup4
    Firehouse.com Guest

While I agree that the photo showing a firefighter having CPR performed on him is absolutely disgusting and should never, never be in a paper, let me say one thing. Reporters and editors, in general, have no clue what they are looking at when they see these scenes and pictures. The caption reads a firefighter being given oxygen. I don't believe that they have any idea what medical procedures are being performed on that firefighter. Do I believe that if they knew it was CPR that they wouldn't have printed it, I don't know. But, I don't think they knew what they printed.

------------------
    Captain Dave Kupfer
    Metro West FPD
    St. Louis County, MO

newasstchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

The first picture, I can deal with. Shows a brother tired, and worn down from the “job”. Lets people see how much a “job” takes out of us. Shows how dedicated we are to the “job” and to our brothers and sisters.

The last picture, fine. A shot of the scene, brothers and sisters “going to work”.

As for the two CPR shots, I’m searching for words here…disrespectful…disgusting …shameful…dishonorable.

YES, I said two. The first, the photo of CPR on a brother on the stretcher. The second, “Firefighter is given oxygen at the scene of the five-alarm blaze”. That is not an oxygen mask. That is a “bag”. And the medic or firefighter in the left of the photo is not taking a set of vitals for rehab as the photo caption would lead you to believe. It looks to be chest compressions.

It makes me sick that the paper would even consider printing these. It is bad enough that we see this, I just pray that this paper never falls into the hands of any family.

I only wish that we never even had to have this thread. I wish we never had to see LODD.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of our fallen brothers.

Truckie5553
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Originally posted by GBordas:
    As a fireman, I saw nothing wrong with the pictures featured in the NY Daily News. I did not think it was a disgrace at all. What would you like to see, nice pictures of the members smiling?! It was a tragedy, what happened at that job out in Queens, and I think the pictures illustrated that fact!
    Im not going to turn this into a ****ing contest here. The basic fact is that these prints should have never been printed. You said that these pictures illustrated the fact that a tradegy had happened. So let me ask you this, put yourself in the shoes of those family members that was looking at their loved one in their final moment. Im sure that the children that lost their father on father's day of all things really feel good because they just lost their dad but it is ok to show the picture of CPR in progress, because after all it was a tragedy. That is ludicrious to even think something like that. If your child (if you have children) had to see a picture of you in the news paper after a tradegy happened and you made your final call, would you want them looking at a picture of their father with a tube down his throat, a bag valve mask on his face and a firefighter pumping on his chest trying to regain any life that God feels there needs to be....I would hope not! I really hope that you can think about the words that you have said in this post and then maybe you will see why those pictures are truely wrong.

------------------
    Captain James Collier
    McMahan Fire Rescue
    KCTCS Area 6 Instructor

Thread Information