Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Firefighter430
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Cairns vs Paul Conway! Which is the best leather?

Of the two Cairns or Paul Conway which one is the best leather helmet? Have you owned both? If so how do they compare?

BucksEng91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Cairns New Yorker N5A. Nothing else.

------------------
    J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

MB1213635
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cairns

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I wear a Cairns N5A... and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's the second leather I've owned, the first being stolen, and has seen it's fair share and holds up well. Never tried a Conway, and don't think I will switch anytime soon...

Firediver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I have owned both and the Conway is by far the better helmet. It is better balanced, has a better suspension system, and is dyed, not painted, so it doesn't crack. Cairns may have been making them longer, but someone has started making them better. Older in not always better.

------------------
    Craig Walker

stay low....stay safe....BUT GET YOU SOME!!!!

Adze
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cairns...the cracked paint adds character

rudedog
    Firehouse.com Guest

I really like the balance of my CONWAY

PaulChristenson
    Firehouse.com Guest

I too have owned both and the Conway is by far the better helmet for the money. The Conway is better balanced, has a better suspension system, and is dyed, not painted, so it doesn't crack. The new Cairns seems heavier than my old Cairns(circa 70's), and rides higher than the Conway which is why I switched to Conway...

fuego
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I have had both. My Conway is by far the better helmet. Considering that my helmet protects what few marbels I have left, I wouldn't wear anything less. Conway has won my business through service on other items too. Cairns has lost my business by making a really bad product. ie, the 1000.
    I have seen at least four of them fail either in training or on the fire ground including mine. I don't care for their leather helmets either.

jeg532
    Firehouse.com Guest

thinks for the opinions, i`ve been looking at those two companies to replace my 1010. looks like i`ll be sporting a conway

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I wouldn't be so quick to choose based on opinions of others. You owe it to yourself to try on both helmets and see which you like better. You will know the right one when it fits your melon...

afd7951
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I wear a Conway and have no complaints. we have been in some rough heat and it has held up really well. At 1st it was a bit heavy but I got used to it. Has great balance and fits my round head like a ball cap. But hey it's your money, buy what you like right???????

------------------
    My opinion does not reflect on that of my career department, Michael Prescott
    Capt./EMT-B

FLAME5
    Firehouse.com Guest

I gotta go with my fellow Texan brother. although I haven't really worn one except at the state convention. I felt it a bit heavy but the balance was great. Another thing is Carins has that inner dome which is supposed to be a safty feature. Funny, I see nothing safe about the outer shell coming apart from the inner and having sometning come down and puncturing this "saftey feature" into my skull.

But as said above it's your money. Aswell as your skull
    Just my opinion

[This message has been edited by FLAME5 (edited 06-24-2001).]

Capt. Clay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I'll have to join in with the other Texas boys and vote for the Conway. Better balance, no cracking paint, overall good fit and great customer service from the Company.

sophielab1
    Firehouse.com Guest

The only thing I don't like about the conway is the rubber around the edge of the brim. I own both a new yorker and a sam houston. I love the new yorker. I almost bought a conway, I agree it does fit better and is balanced better, but the new yorker was given to me.

Capt. Clay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

sophielab1, you have a very good point, the rubber around the brim is pretty cheap when compared to the rest of the helmet. However, when mine started to split recently, I called the company, Lion Apparel, and the gentleman I talked to said to send him pictures so he could see exactly what I was talking about. After he reviewed the pictures, I should send in my lid and they would put a new style of brim protector on that is metal cored and holds up much better, at no cost to me. On top of all that, they would pay for shipping both ways! Good old customer service..... gotta love it!

Thread Information