bgfdchick
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question What was the best training you've ever had

I was curious what scenarios and training methods you find helpful in your department, or to yourself. You don't have to limit it to live burns and stuff (i.e. Was there a seminar that was presented by a well known person?) Please offer any and everything...we all learn in different ways.

As a member of a combination department, we make a point to train together 2-3 times a month. We also attend "fire schools" around the state, and those of us on the extrication team compete whenever we can on top of our practices. Probably the best training I've had has been hands on...rollover schoolbus drill, mock disasters, etc.

Thanks so much, and be safe.

------------------
    Whoever said "the last man standing - wins" never asked a chick to play

GreenCap
    Firehouse.com Guest

The best training I ever had was working along side a salty veteran when I was a "red ***." That, and keeping my face in the books. But ya gotta learn how to apply the two through your own experiences over time.

CLWFWFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Without a doubt Saving Our Own training. To better understand how to get each other out of the messes that we get ourselves into. Plus by studying LODDs and training on what went wrong, our brothers/sisters did not die in vain.

E_man9RFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

So far, the training I have enjoyed the most is trench rescue. I will be attending the Technician level in July. We will perform a resuce in a "T" trench under rainy conditions and at night.

Can't wait.

------------------
    AAD
    Eng. Co. 9
    RFD

"In all of us there are heroes... speak to them and they will come forth."

"In order for us to achieve all that is demanded of us, we must regard ourselves as greater than we are."

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I will have to agree with CLWFWFD on this one. The Saving Our Own or "Firefighter Survival" Class is a good one. I also thought that I got alot out of our Smoke Diver (mask confidence/advanced S&R) class.

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

BriTHFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I'd have to say it was the Flashover Simulator at the CT State Fire Academy. Never in a controlled setting have we gotten to experience firsthand the heat that builds up in a fire room. Watching the gasses burn all around you was truely enlightening, as well as seeing how much protection your gear actually provides.

Fire/Rescue43
    Firehouse.com Guest

Two classes come to mind as being the best I ever took.

One was Rural water movement with Larry Davis, I learned more about moving water in two days than I thought was possible.

The other was Firefighter Safety an Survival Class.

Saty safe

570eck
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think my favorite was when I was a rook. Bill Dukes of Mt Laurel FD. NJ did a ladder co. class. He put more info into an 8 hr day than anyone I've ever seen. Had all of our attention the entire day. If I can remember a name of the instructor he's doing pretty good.

AXMAN620
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

...O......J.....T... 14+ YEARS OF GOING TO COUNTLESS SCHOOLS, TRENCH, AUTO, CONFINED SPACE, OP'S, ICS, INTERIOR ATTACK FLASH-OVER SIM'S PUT IT ALL TOGETHER ADD YEARS OF ASKING QUESTIONS AND HOLDING THE LINE FOR THE OLD WARRIORS. THATS THE BEST TRAINING POSSIBLE!!!

------------------
    SEE YA' @ THE BIG ONE!

jeg532
    Firehouse.com Guest

the best training i got was going in a well involved double wide trailer with my dad shortly after i got certified, he is the asst. chief so he was always on me worse than the other guys to do better. as far as formal traing, i`d have to say Louis F. Garland fire academy at goodfellow air force base in texas is the best.

lumpy649
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

FDIC 2001 was probably the most interesting training I've attended. Considering you can choose from so many different classes/lectures, you can't go wrong by attending. I highly recommend it to anyone from rookies to Chiefs.

chief462
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I would have to say the besy class and biggest eye opening class would have to be
    Rapid Intervention Crew Exersise ,instructed by Pittsburg firefighter Jim Crawford
    If you never have taken it ,it's a must.

Gooch26
    Firehouse.com Guest

Two classes come to mind, Incident Safety Officer, which was conducted at the Clarion Co. Fire School. It's a great class and we had a great instructor. He presented a lot of material but he kept it very interesting, it's a real eye opener. The second one is First Due Company Officer, I took this class a few years ago at the Monroe Co. Fire School in southern Wisconsin. Again, great class and super instructors, also it's an all around great school, with lots of well known names for instructors. God bless and stay safe.
    Randall Guntrum FF/EMT

bgfdchick
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Gooch-

You're right - Monroe Fire School is a great one. We go every year. I took and SCBA confidence class there last year, and lost about 7 pounds...it was a "basic" class in description, but anyone who would have taken it would have been challenged!

------------------
    Whoever said "the last man standing - wins" never asked a chick to play

OFDLUIT33
    Firehouse.com Guest

I must agree with the others Saving our Own has been the best hands-on training I have attended. It's been a couple of years since I went to the class and I am thinking of taking it at the Illinois Fire Service Institute's Fire College in 2002. Chief Hoff Director if training from Chicago F.D. teaches it and I have benn told he does about the best job of anyone with that class. As far as attending seminars goes I have just resently began attending them but by far I can not think of any being better that Command School. There is so much info thrown at you in that time span and the speakers are the top in the brotherhood (Carl Holmes, Don Abbot, Dennis Rubin, and Chief Brunacini. Not to leave out Gordon Graham who is not in the fire service but is the BEST speaker I have ever listened to). However in my opinion any training you can get is important.

------------------
    The views here are mine and do not reflect that of my department or any of it's members.

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Francis Brannigan's structural collaspe class in the late 1970's.

mediator
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

In the back of a 1970 pinto on a back road somewhere in the mountains with the windows fogged up!!!
    opps sorry wrong training session!
    I would have to say confined space rescue training.

[This message has been edited by mediator (edited 06-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mediator (edited 06-26-2001).]

Thread Information