ggtruckie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post 800 MHz radio systems

I would appreciate anyone who has worked with 800 MHz radio systems to please comment on how well they worked and what they are capable of, and not capable of. My department is soon swithing to this system and from what i have heard they are not all they are cracked up to be. Thanks.

firedude3815
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

ggtruckie,

Someone else brought this topic up a few days ago. Here's the link so you can see those posts.
    www.firehouse.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/003441.html

My opinion is posted at that forum. I'm against the 800 system we have because they didn't spend enough money on it. There may be a good system around by I'm not using it! Good luck.

SCNOZZLEMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

MY DEPARTMENT AND COUNTY WENT TO THE 800 SYSTEM A FEW YEARS AGO. THEY HAVE THERE GOOD POINTS AND BAD. ONE THING IS THE COST, THERE NOT CHEAP. YOU NOT ONLY PAY FOR THE RADIOS THERE SELF BUT YOU PAY TO USE THEM. AS FAR AS TALKING TO OTHER RADIOS OR TRUCKS AT A GREAT DISTANCE THEY ARE GOOD, THEY HAVE GREAT RANGE WITH THE TOWERS. MY MAIN PROBLEM IS THAT YOU GET A BUSY SIGNAL SOMETIME WHILE USING THE SYSTEM,AND CAN NOT COMMUNICATE WITH HEADQUARTERS. THIS SEEMS TO BE AT ITS WORST DURING THUNDERSTORMS AND WHEN YOU HAVE OTHER TRAFFIC ON THE SYSTEM. THIS CAN AND DOSE CAUSE A PROBLEM SOMETIME.

Fire Eater 07
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have used the 800 mhz system now for over 3 years. I have noticed no major problems, i thought the portables would have greater distance though....
    stay safe
    and yes they are very expensive to update the entire department or county wide system to

------------------
    Engine / Squad Co.# 7

Forum Member

Arrow

pretty simple, the more repeater sites you have, the better it works. we are 2 years into a system that originally recommended 3 sites, we got one. when you can hit the repeater, it is great, when you can't, it is not. also, if everybody around you isn't on the 800 system, it is pretty complicated to hook up with them.

My County went to the 800mhz about 2 years ago and implemented it county wide. My main problem is as a volunteer, we get paged over 460mhz so we can't hear any radio trafic on the way to the station. Other than that I have been real impressed with them, we use an Ericson system, we can talk to any other public service agency in the county. reception is very clear with no dead spots that I have found yet, we used to not be able to talk on our lake but with this system we can, plus you can talk when you are in the neighboring countys. The only problem is training, they are more complicated than regular VHF or UHF radios, I am a fairly computer literate college student and I had some problems at first figureing them out, but after a little while of useing them you get used to it. If your area can afford it I would recomend going for them, I know the bigger services like the Moblie Data Terminals that came with them, but for my small volunteer deartment we could not get them or even have space for them on our fire trucks. I still worry what would happen if the dispatch went without power, because the only way the radios work is by connecting with the main frame computer and if it is down I guess you are screwed, but no problems with that yet. And hey we made it through Y2K alright. It is nice that when I need to get ahold of a police officer I can instantly go to his channel and talk to him rather than haveing to relay a message through 2 dispatchers then him getting it.

I like the GE EDACS trunking system we operate in our county. We have 4 tower sites throughout the county, so usually you dont have trouble transmitting and recieving. The only times you might run into trouble is when you are in the basement of a school for example. In that case, we simply switch the portable radio from repeater to direct radio to radio communication, the same way a low band radio would work. The depts throughout our county operate on either low band, or the 800 system, so channels 1,3,5,6,and 7 are all linked together so if u transmit on ch 1 on lowband, it will be heard on the 800 band. Overall great system, and am looking forward to the improvements in the communications industry!
    -Stay Safe

My experiance has not been good with them. We switched from a 154 Freq to 800 last year. So far the system has not performed well under real life conditions. There are numerous "dead spots" through out the city. The range and battery life of the portables are poor. Firefighters have had incidents where they have not been unable to contact others that they could see,just outside the building. Atleast with the old radios we could call out to the street and have one of the trucks relay the information to dispatch. Right now if we cant reach the main towers, no one can hear you. Not a good situation if you were trapped. The 800mhz radios we have now have not been well recived so far. No one trust them anymore.

Thread Information